Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Clutch now no start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed Clutch now no start...

So I spent the last two days replacing my clutch. Man was it toast. Anyways to my current issue. I have everything together and the car won't start. O2 sensor is hooked up. reference sensors are back in. The distributor cap and wires are all on. Can anyone think of why it won't start? I am a little frustrated after spending all the work and the engine doesn't start when I wasn't even doing engine work.

I replaced my flywheel with a Fidanza and put in a centerforce clutch. I don't know if that means anything for why it wouldn't start. I will comment and say I noticed the little screw on the side of the flywheel. Is it possible that needs to come out more for the reference sensor to read it?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't say what kind of car you have, but I'm assuming it's a 944. I've got a 968 that I'm struggling with a no-start problem on as well. Based on the fact that you just changed your clutch and flywheel, and didn't do anything with your engine, I have to assume your problem is with the reference sender. Did you set its gap to 0.8 mm (at least that's whit it is for a 968 - you should check what it is for your car)? Do a search, as I know there are several threads that explain how to do this.

Does your tach needle bounce as you try to start the engine? It should, and if yours doesn't, it's more evidence that the problem is with the reference sender.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Sorry I have a 85.1 944. to be honest I don't know if the tach was bouncing or not since I tried starting it at night. I can take a look at that tomorrow morning. My engine was running fine before I changed my clutch. Also it turns over just fine. I have a feeling it might be the reference sensor.What would be better to adjust the gap the mount or the little hex screw on the side of the flywheel?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM
dz302driver
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashio
Sorry I have a 85.1 944. to be honest I don't know if the tach was bouncing or not since I tried starting it at night. I can take a look at that tomorrow morning. My engine was running fine before I changed my clutch. Also it turns over just fine. I have a feeling it might be the reference sensor.What would be better to adjust the gap the mount or the little hex screw on the side of the flywheel?
I would not change the depth of the set screw on the flywheel. If you have changed the depth of the sensors, move the bracket instead. Is it possible you reversed the reference senders?
On the 944.1 there is an electrical connector somewhere over the brake booster area which can pull apart when you lower the engine. This may disconnect some vital systems.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
dz302driver
Track Day

Sorry I see you replaced the flywheel and adjusting the screw might be an option. I have glued a paper match to the sensor, adjusted the bracket where it stopped and removed the match.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
flashx
Intermediate

If the tach needle doesnt bounce when you crank the motor over its in the ref sensor. Or you could have the connections crossed between the ref and speed sensor
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Nashio
Instructor

So this morning I discovered the speed and reference sensor needed to be switched I also measured the hex bolt and loctite it in place. I am waiting 30 mins before I try to start this car. I guess sometimes after working on a car 12 hours straight you just need to get away and sleep to fix the little things Wish me luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Nashio
Instructor

So it started right up. However it wasn't just swapping the two sensors. because I had tried that last night (twice) and it didn't start. I ended up having to bring out the hex bolt on the new flywheel to match the original one in there. It was about a 1mm off. It was so nice to drive the car again. And there was no more jerking motion when I lift my foot off the gas!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
dontnow
Pro

Give us your feedback on the lightened flywheel also. Most people say it is not good on NA street cars since it loses the engine momentum.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Nashio
Instructor

So far driving it around for 50 miles I would say I do notice when I push the clutch in while driving the engine speed drops quicker. But it does not stall like I have read some people state. Take off on flat land fells normal. Starting on a hill I have to rev a little more than normal but then again the clutch is being broken in. I do like the feel of it around town. Has that effect of feeling more responsive.

Other things I have done to my car as far as reducing drive train weight/drag are, removed power steering and pulley, removed ac, removed the mechanical water pump and installed an electric one, removed balance shafts, installed lower gears of the alternator. Needless to say I like how responsive my engine is, still need to install a throttle cam.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
dontnow
Pro

Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: Installed Clutch now no start...