Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Is Best Kind of Strut Tower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 06:56 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ksc jc,

What would you suggest for the rear of the car?
Old 08-22-2001, 02:19 AM
ksc jc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi David,sorry was out station for a couple of days. The ideal situation is to install a
roll cage but that would be impratical for street use. A roll bar would help but that means no more rear seats. Another option would be to mount an X brace under the Tub.
Using a strut brace for the rears would not help cause the flex points actually starts
from the doors backwards.
Old 08-22-2001, 05:58 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

VW Jetta's, Corrado's, etc, and other car's have aftermarket rear strut braces for them, and I have seen one made, somewhere, for the 951. But, if the rear flex starts elsewhere, it might not help. As for flex starting behind the doors, is that the reason for the brace on the 968 cabriolets? I assume it's a brace(?). I have a picture of the rear storage bin that replaces the rear seats in a 968 (I'm looking for one to replace the rear seats in my Turbo S), and noticed a single, black, bar that runs from side to side, right behind the doors, fairly close to the top of them. I assume its a factory piece that came in the convertibles(?), as they have more inherent flex. Could this be of any use, or benefit to 951's? Has anyone ever seen something for the rear at all, for a mostly street 951? Also, does anyone know if there's any noticeable weight difference b/t the BKs and Welts?

Thanks,
Robby
Old 08-23-2001, 12:44 PM
MadMax
Pro

Robby,
That rear "brace" as you called it is NOT a structural member. The rear package tray in a 968 is only held in place by 3 bolts and is made out of fiber board covered with carpet. The black rod is no more a load bearing member than your rear seat is.

As for putting a 968 rear package tray in your 951, I am not sure if it would fit. The bottom portion of the rear seat in the Cabriolets is different than the bottom of the seat in the coupes. So, it might not fit properly but I am not sure.

Ihth,
Max
Old 08-24-2001, 02:25 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Max,

Thanks for the post about the rear tray. I can't seem to find anyone who knows much about it, but have found one for sale for almost $400, which seems a little pricey for such a part (used). I had thought the black rod could have been something other than a support piece, but the pictures I've seen, don't show how it's actually connected, so I couldn't be sure. What does it actully do then? It doesn't appear to have anything to do w/the storage tray/bin, as the pictures show it up higher, and forward of piece. As for not fitting, I guess I'll have to do more research- I'd hate to pay a lot of $ for something that couldn't even be used. I've always assumed that the underside of the seats in the coupes/convertibles were the same, regardless of the seats, but the 968 itself could be different w/out me knowing it... The S2 cabs had seats like the coupes didn't they? Anyway, thanks for the input...

Robby
Old 08-24-2001, 09:58 AM
MadMax
Pro

Robby,
First off, I just re-read my post and I want to apologize...my response seemed a little curt and that was not my intent.

The black rod on the 968's package tray is just there to keep things from rolling or sliding off of the flat area.

It is my understanding (read this to mean I am NOT sure) that the rear seat bottom of the coupes is a little wider and has a slightly different shape near the top of the seat bottom. This is due to the Cabriolet's top mechanism reducing some of the rear seating area. The dimensions of the 968 Cabriolet and the 944S2 Cab's interiors is identical.

Again, all of this info about the rear package tray, cab rear seat vs. coupe rear seat is what I have heard. I am not confident in the source of info. I am currently trying to verify this info myself as I am trying to do the samething you are.

$400 might not be that bad of a price if it will work in your car. Porsche charges over $1000 for the same package tray. Porsche also charges $1000 for the rear seat bottom covered in leather. That is alot of cash for nothing more than closed-cell formed foam covered in dead cow.

Good luck with your package tray deal. By the way, there are enough S2 Cab owners that would like to get rid of the rear seat that I don't think you would have too much trouble recouping your costs if the rear tray doesn't fit in your 951.

Good luck,
Max

Quick Reply: What Is Best Kind of Strut Tower?