Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Brake Pads...What to Pick?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 02:32 PM
Rambino
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Performance Brake Pads...What to Pick?? HELP

I currently have a 89 Turbo S, I need a set of brake pads that wont fade and will last on the Stock Rotors (for now).. I know that Hawk Pads are awsome but wear a little faster and Eat up rotors.. I currently have powerpads on and there not what i want.. Has anyone tried the mintex pads or any other type of performance pad??

Any insight would be helpful.. Thanks
Old 08-10-2001, 04:36 PM
Renntag
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just bought Performance friction Z rated Street pad. It is supposed to be non damaging to the rotor and last 30-40K under performance driving conditions and auto-x.

I used to use Rebco Metal Master pads. They worked pretty well also.

I can put you intouch with the same supplier if you are interested.

Btw: Welcome to the list.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:10 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a new line of Pagid made for the street-performance/light-track-use crowd. These Pagid S pads have faster warm up for street or autocross use.

Other than that, MetalMasters are the choice du jour.

Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2001, 06:47 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Also try: EBC Brakes. They're well known in the cycle world and are now making their entry into the auto world. I had them on another car and was VERY happy with them. I also know others that have them and seem very happy. Just another alternative.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:25 PM
Renntag
Pro

I raced SuperBike and Supersport for allmost 6 years. I used a couple different compounds of EBC pads I got them for free. I even tried using 2 different heat ranges left and right up front.( It was interesting ). I Prefered to use use Ferodo. EBC paid out more money in contingency. Some of us liked the Ferodos far better and would mod the Ferodos to physically look like EBCs for post-tech visual inspection for the top three finishers. ~What ever it takes to get money to make it to the next race~

In the 944 n/a I was pleased with my Metal Masters.

Ask me about the Performance Frictions when I get back from Lime Rock.

~Colin
Old 08-12-2001, 02:34 PM
Geoff Daniels
Intermediate

I have PF 90s on my 86 951. They work great although I overheated them a bit at Watkins Glen and got some build up on the rotors that made for not so pleasent braking. The deposits wore off quickly with a little street driving. Brake cooling ducts probably would have prevented the overheating.

They tend to sqeal a bit on the street but they sure do grab better then the factory pads. I paid $109/axle, not sure how that compares to metal masters but definitely less expensive then Pagids.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:48 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts
I've used the PFC 90's and had goodluck with them. You can bevel the edges a bit to help reduce the squeel.

IF you go with Hawks you should make sure you have a good coat of wax and wash the break dust off before it has time to set up. Really important if it rains and starts to dry up. I use them on the track, Hawk Blues.

Alan
Old 08-12-2001, 06:02 PM
fletch.
Instructor

I have had very poor experience with MetalMasters.

MetalMasters in my experience fade worse that any pad I have seen. They crack like craze and destroy rotors. I found the puck construction to be second class, and the pad material to be inconsistent, I had both NEW rotors wavy is 1000 miles.

Just my opinion and experience, your milage may vary.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:42 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used PFC 80, 83, 90 and some carbon-kevlar mixes... The PFCs were definitely better for track use. Albeit I had some amount of pad transfer even with a cool brake kit. The 80s didn't have enough friction, the 83s ate/overheated rotors, and the 90s seemed to be about right.

I've had good luck w/ Metal masters for the street.

Joel
89 951

Quick Reply: Performance Brake Pads...What to Pick?? HELP