Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosis Request

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
4corsa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis Request

Regarding my '87 944 with 190k miles (bought last spring). When in higher gear under heavy acceleration (especially from lower rpms), there is a significant vibration from the rear end. The vibration is relatively low frequency - similar to a wheel out of balance at 40 mph. This is especially noticable in 4th gear accelerating hard from 2500 rpm - almost feels like a driveshaft way out of balance. It is much less noticeable in 3rd gear and 5th gear, and non-existent in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating.
My independant Porsche mechanic (i-Service, Cherry Hill, NJ) believes it is the engine overpowering a worn clutch. Does this sound right? I will add that in extended stop and go traffic the clutch will overheat and chatter when leaving from a stand still. The clutch is has approximately 90k miles on it. I may consider investing the $$$$$! for a new clutch, but don't want any chance of this problem not being fixed after the investment.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Exhaust rubbers tend to harden and the booming exhaust transfers to the car...I need to replace mine.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

If you can feel it in the gear shifter and/or clutch pedal between shifts, that would support their diagnosis. On the other hand, are your tires all balanced well?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
4corsa
Intermediate

Thanks. I had the same thought. I BARELY feel it in the shifter. I had new tires installed a month ago. Same before and after. It only does it under acceleration. In looking at a parts diagram, i noticed there is a "drive shaft vibration damper" - wonder if mine is worn out or something. Or perhaps the flex disc that attaches the transmission to the driveshaft?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had a strange sensation in my car after having the clutch replaced that was tough at first to isolate, but I eventually spotted where one of my exhaust clamps was contacting the under-body on hard acceleration. Mine was a clamp where the waste gate ties into the exhaust. It was a simple fix to loosen and rotate the clamp a bit so that it didn't make contact. My exhaust is aftermarket, so that type of problem may not exist with a stock exhaust, but it may be worth spending a few minutes under the car looking for possible contact points or hard rubber hangers as was suggested above.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4corsa
Regarding my '87 944 with 190k miles (bought last spring). When in higher gear under heavy acceleration (especially from lower rpms), there is a significant vibration from the rear end. The vibration is relatively low frequency - similar to a wheel out of balance at 40 mph. This is especially noticable in 4th gear accelerating hard from 2500 rpm - almost feels like a driveshaft way out of balance. It is much less noticeable in 3rd gear and 5th gear, and non-existent in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating.
My independant Porsche mechanic (i-Service, Cherry Hill, NJ) believes it is the engine overpowering a worn clutch. Does this sound right? I will add that in extended stop and go traffic the clutch will overheat and chatter when leaving from a stand still. The clutch is has approximately 90k miles on it. I may consider investing the $$$$$! for a new clutch, but don't want any chance of this problem not being fixed after the investment.
Thanks. I had the same thought. I BARELY feel it in the shifter. I had new tires installed a month ago. Same before and after. It only does it under acceleration. In looking at a parts diagram, i noticed there is a "drive shaft vibration damper" - wonder if mine is worn out or something. Or perhaps the flex disc that attaches the transmission to the driveshaft?
Confused??

Do you have an automatic?

Flex disc..

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...uto%20Trans%20

But you said ...."the clutch has 90K miles on it"

J_AZ
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
4corsa
Intermediate

No automatic, 5 - speed.
I didnt realize the flex disc is on automatics only.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
mblaszak
Intermediate

You have already identified your own problem... you have said that your clutch slips...it should not slip, ever!!! So, time to go in there and put in a new clutch assembly as well as a properly resurfaced flywheel.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:53 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I recommend going with the Sachs spring plate as opposed to the old "rubber donut" You'll feel a minor vibration in the shifter but It's the proper way to do a clutch replacment.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corsa, have you inspected the clutch viewport yet for any indication of wearout?
See Clarks Garage for access.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM
4corsa
Intermediate

Thanks very much for all your input - much appreciated!
Looks like a new clutch will be in order (agree that the spring type is the way to go). Time to open a new savings account...
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks very much for all your input - much appreciated!
Looks like a new clutch will be in order (agree that the spring type is the way to go). Time to open a new savings account...
Glad to hear a diagnosis mate...
What proved definitive in determining a new clutch required?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
joes
Racer

I would check for wheels out of balance. loose cv joints, bad rear wheel bearings/ loose lug nuts. Balance shafts out of time can cause some weird vibrations. Put it up on jackstands and see if it is still there. I have never experienced an "over heating clutch" unless you are street racing or something. Clutches usually slip.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well do a clutch wear measurement, heh?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:56 PM
UMDgrad
6th Gear

How much are we talking about for a new clutch? Done the "right" way, on the OP's 944.

Quick Reply: Diagnosis Request