Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porscheeee's back....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 11:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Porscheeee's back....

I let the mechanic take care of the bolt/balljoint/metal bar that was I thought required dropping the trans to replace...mech was able to do it though.
So that part is all nice n perfect...
When I move the shifter left (inside the car) in neutral, it wont return to center, if i move it right it will return to center. I tried adjusting it with the shifter in every position...no luck. Is it the return spring in the trans getting weak or what? The trans needs to apply more force to move the shifter over with the reduction in leverage? The heim joint is being broken in? It takes a lot more effort to shift now than with the stock linkage...

Other than that...it shifts nicely...there is that bolt extractor that is stuck in the grade 5 bolt though...the bolt that holds the black selector rod to the replacement autothority rod. The bolt extractor snapped...so there's no easy way to get that off. What I did is drill through that metal piece...tap it and the back of the black selector rod with 5/16" threads and stick a grade 5 (what I thought to be adequate...wrong!) bolt in there...then the head snapped off that bolt as I was tightening it in. Then I tried to remove it using the right sized bolt extractor...that broke. So thats where I am now. The way I'm thinking...with the stock setup there is a small piece of bolt that sticks out into the dimple...and there is that 1 joint where the bolt is having pressure applied to it. The way I have it setup, the bolt is having pressure applied to it on 2 spots...the front side of the black selector and the back side...thus a weaker bolt could be used without breaking. Am I correct in my thinking??

According to http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html the minimum tensile strength for a grade 5 bolt is 120,000psi while a grade 8 bolt is 150,000psi. Thats a 25% increase in strength...which I think is made up by the increase in area (doubling) where force is applied..

thanks,
Adrial

Quick Reply: Porscheeee's back....