Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Baltimore shops; buying an S2 cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 11:41 PM
jagrigsby
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice: Baltimore shops; buying an S2 cab

Howdy,
I'd much appreciate any advice on buying an S2 cabriolet and/or finding a good shop in the Baltimore area. I'm considering the car as a primary vehicle, looking for low miles.

Many thanks..
Old 10-26-2001, 11:02 AM
TT
Racer

I have used European Motors Inc. (http://www.geocities.com/europeanmotor/) which is in Catonsville. They got the inspection for my 951 (replaced front rotors and pads to pass), recharged the A/C, alignment, and height adjustment. There is also Tischer (www.tischer.com) down in Silver Spring. I've had them do alignments on my 944 in the past. There is a dealer north of Baltimore, but I have never dealt with them.

You can probably get any one of them to do a pre-purchase inspection if you find an S2 cab.
Old 10-26-2001, 11:35 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

HI,
Have you got anything specific you want to know ?

or general things to look out for , for the s2 cab version ??

adrian
91 s2 cab
Old 10-26-2001, 01:51 PM
MadMax
Pro

J,
I live in annpolis, md. I have used Valley Motors once to have my belts adjusted and to trouble shoot a couple noises. They did the adjustment correctly but they suck at trouble shooting. I paid $125 for 1.5 hours of trouble shooting that turned up nothing. I found all the problems eventually on my own. The don't offer a PCA discount and are not all that friendly or informative. They only care about selling NEW Porsches, they have NO appreciation for fine examples of older models.

As for the S2 Cabrio it is a great car but if you can find a 968 Cab for the slightly extra money I would go for that. It is a more updated car.

With the S2 in particular I would look to see when the last timing/balance belt change was done/if a water pump replacement had ever been done (if not it will need it)/when or if the Cam-chain tensioner had been replaced. Those are the absolutely critical items in the engiine. First two belts are done every 30-45K depending on who you talk to. The water pump I would do every other time I do the belts and the Cam-chain tensioner replacement should be done at ~80-100K. Again, Porsche doesn't even recommend a service interval on the CC tensioner but they typically fail somewhere after 80K but that is no guarantee.

For the Cabrio in particular, I would take a VERY good look at the top. The cheapest you can get a quality top replaced on the Cab is $1200 in the Baltimore area. This is NOT a job for the do it yourselfer. You need to have a lot of knowledge about the top to try it and a lot of time. Most shops do the job in 1-2 days and then you have a warranty. If the top is in bad shape I would ask the owner to lower and raise the top for you. If the top's mechanism is adjusted properly it won't make any grinding or basically unsavory noises going up or down. If it does think $$$. Replacement parts for the Cab's top frame are very expensive unless you get them from a salvage yard (not easy to do sometimes). Everything on the car is expensive from Porsche especially Cab specific parts. Also, take a look at the A pillar covers on the left and right of the front windshielf frame. These are very prone to warpage from sun damage. If they are wavy on the edge that faces the windshield the car has typically been left in the sun A LOT with the top down. These A-pillar covers are $375 each from Porsche. Again, much cheaper from a salvage yard but most want $100-$150 each. You have to get really lucky to find them for less.

This is just some of the little things and a few Cabriolet specific things. I would check out www.porsche-944-garage.tripod.com

You can get some additional answers there.

Regards and good luck,
Max
Old 10-26-2001, 02:12 PM
adrian jaye
Instructor

yeah all dat's true.

the belt changes are not specifc to a cab though. You'd want that on any Porsche but especially a 16v engine.

68 cab. DEF go for one. I regret that. about 30BHP more. the Variocam engine can have a few more inherrenh problems but is a fine car as is the 44 cab.

OH tonneau cover, to cover the cab top £1200 from Porsches £200 second hand, was an optional extra though.

Check the hood as said carefully.

As long as you do the usuall Porsche checks you sould be ok

good luck
Old 10-26-2001, 07:20 PM
jagrigsby
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

thanks TT, Adrian Jaye, MadMax.

good stuff. thanks for the advice on the top. I've been considering the 968 also but I'm still on the fence about spending 5-10k more for 30bhp and less room in the back. what a great car though. also concur with the Valley Motors story. just sold an 87 na944, unfortunately after servicing it there and another local dealer and being overcharged for inferior work. should have learned my lesson about dealers earlier and sure do miss the great shop I used in Seattle.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:39 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Hey Jags,

I would go for the 68 heres' pro's con's

Pro:
a: Newer model, nicer styling, specially rear
b: More torque and BHP
c: The hood goes up or down with engine running unlike the 44 (unless you frig it like my posted article)
d: no difference in rear space compared with the 44CAB

con:
a: Variocam , "can" be troublesome
b: can have problem's with mass air meter, if you change the air box at the front for a cone filter instead
c: cos' of the problems with variocam you must make sure that it's had it bels changed (and proved)
d: more expensive
Old 10-29-2001, 06:28 PM
Big E
Racer

Cool

Man, TT stole my answer. For the jobs that I'm not prepared for (either knowledge or tool-wise), I go to European Motors. They're pretty reasonable, Robert's always done a good job.

As far as dealers, Tischer is the only one worth your time. They're friendly, do great work, and have a killer PCA discount on parts (as long as you ask for it).

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2001, 02:35 PM
ModusPonens
Intermediate

I was scanning the old posts and came across this one. I take my car to Ralph's Auto Service in Reisterstown. I know it's kind of a generic name but they specialize in Porsches and Audis.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:27 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Another good shop in the baltimore area is severna park automotive. Their chief mechanic, chad, knows these cars (and most other porsches) inside and out, and is very good. I have used them a couple of times, and they are average priced for a european service center but first rate and very quick. Their number is 410-647-8322, they are in severna park right off of route 2, and ask for chad.

Quick Reply: Advice: Baltimore shops; buying an S2 cab