Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProTrac Dampers vs. MOTON vs. JRZ vs. LEDA

Old 11-21-2001, 10:34 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

If you have not checked out moriss dampers
yet i think you should.......
I went in the shop lookin to buy shock and
now i work for them.......... [img]null[/img]
the pic is of my car rebound adj. remote
resivoir shocks and struts....they sell for around........500.00 each and 700.00 for the dbl adj. units
Old 11-22-2001, 04:29 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Larry Parker:
<STRONG>If you have not checked out moriss dampers
yet i think you should.......
I went in the shop lookin to buy shock and
now i work for them.......... [img]null[/img]
the pic is of my car rebound adj. remote
resivoir shocks and struts....they sell for around........500.00 each and 700.00 for the dbl adj. units</STRONG>
Wow... ten minutes before reading this message I went to the Moriss Damper website via a link from GRM. I saw the 944 units and wondered how much? Thank you for answering my question before I even asked it!

Where did you mount the front external reservoir? It looks like it is right next to the brake rotor.

-Steve

'86 944 turbo
Old 11-22-2001, 12:41 PM
belz
Instructor

Talking

Larry-
Thanks for the advice ... I'll check 'em out
Old 11-22-2001, 01:27 PM
belz
Instructor

Question

Larry-
Since you are now a Moriss employee maybe you can answer some questions:
1) I read that the Morris dampers are "twin-tube" ... can you explain the "advantages" of going with that design vs. monotube. The "monotube" guys really slam the twintube design as old/inexpensive/slow etc. I'd love to hear the other side of the story.
2) How many 944 based set-ups has Moriss done,i.e. experience level?
3) As far as revalve and rebuild... can this be done by the owner (or local shock guru) or must they be sent back to Moriss?
4) In the pic of the 944 on the web site. Why was the rear damper resevoir mounted next to the damper. Would'nt it make more sense to install it inside on the roll bar support or the dead space on either side?
5) Where are the front cans mounted? (I think this was asked in a previous post)Is that not the adjustment **** seen by the rotor?
6) How do they compare to LEDA, which I understand are twintube design as well?
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2001, 03:46 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Ok this one may get long:

First off monotubes have NO real advantage over a twin tube design as long as it has a remote resevior. The gas is behind a seperator piston in the gas canaster, so there is no foaming like many of the mono tube guy like to talk about.
Mono tubes have less parts and can be cheaper to build and as far as high psi and low psi goes......bilstiens are about 230psi
while are gas canaster ranges from 80-100
which does not change the shocks damping.
Also a twin tube design is not slow. Our valving is done buy a a valve and not deflected discs like many shocks. While many shimes fatigue our valves do not. They are designed to with stand tremendous amounts of cycles.

Also dampers with remote canasters are far less likely to have damping changes due to fluid heating up because there is far more that in a mono tube or a reseviorless shock.

When it comes range of adjustment very little shocks will come close. Our valving system can go from extremly soft to hard.
Other shock companys give you very little range of adjustment.

our adjustment is 24clicks rebound and compression. and yes that is a adjuster **** on the strut and shock bodys.

that can point any way the customer wants
(space allowing) We build custom shocks and the customer is encouraged to have alot of input into placement of resivors hose length
damping curves, shock/strut body length, etc.

Anyone can rebuild/revalve the shock with a few things
1. No2 canaster
2. spanner wrench
3. seals
4. shims (if you where planing on changing
the damping)

In response the the q's about the resevior placement. the rears where placed on the
trans cross member so they could be easly reached for compression adjustment. Fronts canasters where attached to stock tie down points (just for testing) the purchaser of our shock can tell us what length of hose they would like. Also there is no way of placeing the can inside the car, unless the
canaster line is has a quick disconnect on it
which can be done or you drill a big ol hole in the fender. And as far as leda goes are design in similar and i feel will out perform and out last one of ther units.
We also have a great camber plate and are in the process of building in-car adjustible
blade type sway bars!

I hope this helps
Larry Parker
89 944S2 gettin ready for f stock
If you have anymore Q's call me monday at
810-469-9635

Adjustible shocks are Must in a serious race car!
Old 11-22-2001, 03:55 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

I made mention to rebuildin the shocks and i said anyone could do it, then i said shims if you wanted to change damping....there are deflected discs in our single adjustible....

Im also pretty sure that moton, jrz, and protrac all used to be the same company that
split a while back....or at least that is what i have been told.....(so dont hold me to it)

regards larry
Old 11-23-2001, 10:07 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I know a much better (local) company than all of those if you are interested.....

Morris Dampers... make great and beatiful setups any you want them.
http://search.excite.com/r/sr=webres...ssdampers.com/

before buying . check these guys out!
Old 11-23-2001, 01:33 PM
belz
Instructor

Question

Larry- Thanks for your response. A couple more questions if you don't mind.
1) What type of valving does the Moriss Damper use? Needle Valve? / Port? / Disc? etc.
2) I checked the web site for a detailed drawing of the internals . Notta. How can I/we look at a design schematic.
3) What would a double adjustable set up run $ for a 951 ... approx. ... won't hold you to it .... just trying to get a ballpark figure in relation to the other choices out there.
4) Again, What/ how much experience does Moriss have setting up (i.e. valving) 944 based vehicles.
Thanks ...
Old 11-23-2001, 01:57 PM
belz
Instructor

Larry- sorry ... one more question.
Regarding heat ... I understand the arguement regarding external resevoirs and heat ... I don't know if it really matters, but that's not my question:
I see guys mounting their front cans in the engine compartment ... if one of the supposed advantages of using extenal cans is that it minimizes the effects of heat ... What effect does the engine compartment heat of a 951 have on the dampers performance when the cans are at engine bay temp.?
Seems counterproductive to me ... but whaddo I know ... that's why I'm asking the question!
effect
Old 11-23-2001, 09:14 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Im unsure as to what the outcome of placing
the cans under the hood of a 951? they do have very hot underhood temps. As long as the car is moving and air is flowing around the engine im sure they would be fine, but im sure there would be some heat soak. I think placing the can out side the would be best.

Are shocks are used in many rally cars that
see much harder use that any road race car
and they still heat up very little. We use syntheic amsoil shock fluid that is effected
very little to heat.

Moriss has not built alot of 944 setups, But
we have done much testing on my 944S2 and feel we offer a great product we hope to stir some intrest at future p.c.a club races

The dampers sell for around 700 each for the dbl adj...

that is one of the valves we use in our dampers it uses a pintel to control flow.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:44 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Thumbs up

I have ridden in Larry's s2 and can Vouch with an added "HELL Yeah" that they're 944 setups are excellent!
Old 11-23-2001, 10:19 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Talking

thanks luke

whats the word on the trans
Old 11-23-2001, 10:49 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

still readin' up.