Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Vibrations. '83 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 02:33 AM
Es3L
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bad Vibrations. '83 944

I am getting new motor mounts tomorrow and me and my dad are installing them this weekend. I was wondering if this will eliminate the vibration at idle, and the random cracks in the exhaust. I have had to weld the Pipe back together at the downpipe, RIght before the Cat, and Right into the can. Could any of this vibration be coming from the Torquetube? What should we look for as signs of wear/replacement. When the car goes in reverse, I must go very very slow (cant even back out of a parking space thats barly on a slant) if i want to keep the fillings in my teeth. THe car will start to jump and skip across the ground. WHere could thses problems be coming from. New Struts and springs are also on the way, what else should we look at when we change the struts/springs/motormounts?Any help is apprecianted.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:12 PM
Joel
Instructor

Yes, yes, and yes. You may have to recenter the exhaust once the new motor mounts are installed.

I too had a crack in the front pipe. It went un-noticed until I was on my first run at a Limerock DE. My entire exhaust system fell off and slid across the track! Luckily no one hit it. Unluckily for me I was black flagged on my 3rd run group due to noise level violation. Luckily for me a very kind soul trailered my car back home. Even more luckily for me I got to drive this kind soul's 1990 911 C2 all the way home! Ah the memories, but I digress...

Seriously though, once you replace the motor mounts that should take care of all of the vibration at idle. If the engine still vibrates at 3000 rpms you may have the balance shaft belt off by a tooth or two.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:39 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Besides the motor mounts, the following can cause a rough idle:

1. Bad clutch.
2. Vacuum leak
3. Dirty throttle body
4. Misc engine control problems.(weird Bosch valves, wires, cap, rotor).

Quick Reply: Bad Vibrations. '83 944