Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a left side hatch shock work on both sides - even with a rear defroster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001 | 11:28 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Post Will a left side hatch shock work on both sides - even with a rear defroster?

I have the opportunity to pick up the left side hatch shock at a good price - part # 944-512-349-00. The guy selling it says that the right is essentially the same as the left (there is just an extra tab), however, I see that there are different part numbers for each side. I am concerned that this would cause problems with my rear defroster. By quickly looking at the hatch, the shocks look similar, however, common sense is why would their be two different parts (especially because the left is more expensive) if both sides were the same. I thought maybe someone with some expertise, and without a obvious financial stake, might be able to advise me. Thanks -

Jeremy
1983 Guards Red
Old 11-08-2001 | 04:25 PM
porker
AutoX

Without going down into the cold to look...... (please excuse if i'm wrong!)

If you look at the electrical connections, you will see that they are handed compared to the ball-joints.

The only way you can put a left sided strut on the right is to turn it upside-down. Then of course, you will get no connection for the heated rear screen.

I suspect that there are simply more of one side struts available, hence the cheaper price.

Mike
Old 11-14-2001 | 03:27 AM
Cliff Hipsher
1st Gear

Originally posted by Jeremy:
<STRONG>By quickly looking at the hatch, the shocks look similar, however, common sense is why would their be two different parts (especially because the left is more expensive) if both sides were the same. </STRONG>
Jeremy:

The rear hatch shocks are different for a reason. Power (+12 volts) to the rear window defroster comes in on the left strut. Ground is on the right strut. If you put a right strut on the left side, the defroster fuse will blow. If you install two left struts the defroster won't work.

The way to tell the difference is the left strut has plastic ball ends, while the right strut has metal ends.
Old 11-14-2001 | 05:51 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Cliff, thanks for the info.

Had a look at mine yesterday-evening and found two identical shocks, both with plastic heads.
Additional lead has been made on the right hand shock for grounding.
By the looks of it, a long time ago (corrosion)
Jeremy, make sure you replace both shocks at the same time, please refer to a prallel thread subj. hatch reliese problems.
The difference in load between the two shoks will put some additional stress in the frame....
Old 11-14-2001 | 06:56 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Cliff,

Nice to finally see you on this list.

I am sure a lot of these guys will benifit from the level of knowledge that you have been disseminating on the E-mail list.

Best thing is, is that you can post pictures here.

Quick Reply: Will a left side hatch shock work on both sides - even with a rear defroster?