Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump and seal trouble. Grrrrrrr!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 12:03 AM
m.e.mccray
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil pump and seal trouble. Grrrrrrr!

Another question for the list. I was unable to get the crank/oil pump seal out. So.... I have removed the pump to access the seal. However, I notice that the pump plastic internals seem to be disintegrating. At first, I thought that I had damaged it, but on closer inspection a portion of the plastic appears to cracked and the "plastic" has begun to pull and drift in to the galley area. A brass piece is showing through the surface I am glad I took it off, because I am certain little bits of oil pump floating through the engine will certainly do it no good, and I think I've caught it before any real damage could be done.

Has anyone else run into this? I saw a thread from someone who claimed to be rebuilding theirs, and was questioning about the proper sealant. The 944 garage doesn't have anything on the pump procedure. Any help on this subject appreciated. I am going to price pumps, new rebuilt, etc. and figure out what to do.

I sure didn't intend to get this deep, but I guess one thing leads to another. I have visions of getting this thing back together and hearing the sound of bending/pulling/squealing tortured metal...

Advice/consolation appreciated.

Marshall McCray
Old 11-14-2001, 01:54 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

I was the guy who was asking about the proper sealant for the oil pump. I removed the oil pump because my oil pan gasket was leaking and thought the oil pump to block seal may have been leaking as well.

As for the pump itself, When I disassembled the pump, I saw no brass or plastic pieces. All I had was the aluminum pump housing, the steel gear housing, an inner steel gear, an outer steel gear, and two steel countersunk screws which hold the gear housing to the pump housing. All appeared to be in excellent condition (likely just even wear from new), and I basically just disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled.

Prior to this, I had never seen what the insides of an oil pump look like, but everything seemed to resemble what was in my factory manual.

As for the plastic and brass bits, I am not totally clear on what you are talking about. The only thing that might resemble plastic would be the oil pan gasket, which the bottom of the pump rests on. OTOH, brass shavings could be from bearings somewhere else in the engine and plastic could come from the oilpan baffle.

Be more specific in describing which part of the pump you thought you had "broken".

-Steve Lavigne
Old 11-14-2001, 02:10 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

On second thought, the plastic that you mentioned may have been the sealant that was used between the outer diameter of the gear housing and the inner diameter of the oil pump housing. I cleaned this off and replaced it with fresh sealant.

-Steve
Old 11-14-2001, 05:17 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Having had my oil pump out during the Great Rebuild, I can tell you that there are NO plastic parts that comprise the pump itself. The only thing resembling plastic is the crank seal itself, and possible the residue (as previously mentioned) from the sealant that the pump is mated to the block with.

What year is your car? I have a spare 944 oil pump for an 83/84 that is in perfect condition that I could sell.

Greg
Old 11-14-2001, 05:38 PM
Mccray
8th Gear

Thanks for the responses. I think Steve hit on it. I was confused by the countersunk hex bolts that appear to hold the central ring in. The "plastic" material is the hardened sealant. WHEEEEEWWWW.... did I ever breathe easier. Thought I'd just bought one.

What sealant is correct to install the pump to block? I assume there is a different sealant for the pan gasket to pump?

Thanks again. Having never seen the inside of this pump - didn't know what to expect, and the picture in the Haynes manual apparently showed a pump with sealant covering the bolts.

Marshall McCray
Breathing normally again.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:11 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Sealant Porsche recommends is Loctite 574. I learned to hate it when I built my engine. it is very thin and very expensive. I had to reseal my oil pump due to a defective pressure valve and used Elring Dirko HT. I also used that on the balance shafts covers and I found it to be much easier to apply and use.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:41 PM
m.e.mccray
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fletch,

Elring Dirko HT and Loctite 574 interchangable? One of the shop techs where I work mentioned using "aircraft" sealant- said that Porsche loved the stuff.

Who sells Elring?
Old 11-14-2001, 08:56 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Wink

m.e. ; One last thing to be sure off. Make sure the bolt that holds the pulley on the crank is properly torqued as these have been known to loosen and damage the pump. Good luck and keep the shiny side up.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:49 PM
m.e.mccray
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Everybody. I hope I can get this all back together over the next week or so. So far so good!

Learning a lot along the way.

Marshall

Quick Reply: Oil pump and seal trouble. Grrrrrrr!