Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Cab, 61xxx miles $3,500 if anyone's looking

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owner seemed shady to me. I called and asked for the VIN and more pictures. He said that he doesn't want to put any effort into selling it hence the price. He just wants someone to pick it up and drive away.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 PM
smokindav
Instructor

I got the guys phone number and the car is about 30 minutes aways from me (I'm on the Northshore across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans). I'm still planning on checking the car out today. I will report back with what I find.

I love sellers that don't want to put any effort into selling a car. That means I might be able to get a good deal.

ELLSSUU where are you located? I'm in Mandeville.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindav
Mandeville.[/B]
Ditto!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a beautifull S2 cab for sale in classifieds, just spent years and a ton of dough restoring her and upgrading to better than OEM ... as previously stated by the best one you can afford or you will pay later.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
smokindav
Instructor

I spent about 10 minutes looking the car over - I didn't have time to test drive as I had the family with me and we were on the way to downtown New Orleans to shop and visit the WWII musuem.

From what I could see, and with out driving it - it was about what I expected for a $3,500 1991 944S2. No big cosmetic suprises. Car looked original and unmolested. Appeared that the odometer is accurate at 61,000 miles. Everything under the hood on the engine appeared original and unmolested.

I will share what I found out about the car and then we can discuss whether or not I should return for a test drive. Estimates are what it would cost me to fix things without paying a shop for labor (except for the front fender repair).

VIN WP0CB2949MN440557. Where is the option code sticker located? It was not under the hood like on a 911. Therefore I could not verify whether or not it was an M030 car.

What we think we know:
1. Original paint looked good, had a few minor scratches typical of a 1991 used Porsche. No evidence of paint work.

2. Softball sized dent in front fender, passenger side - not sure what it would take to fix it, worst case is new front fender and paint. No other body work needed, no other signs of accidents. $500 estimate

3. Passenger side fog/driving light lens cracked, needs to be replaced - $50 estimate

4. Cabriolet top needs to be replaced - $500

5. Looks like it is leaking engine oil (pan was wet with oil) and power steering fluid (but steering rack looked dry, might be the hoses leaking). Would required new timing belt, water pump, gaskets and hoses to fix leaks. Estimate, call it a $1,000 worth of parts when it's all said and done.

6. Brake pads and rotors looked good. Tires looked good (but were not performance/track type tires). Suspension looked ok, rear end was dry and axle boots looked ok. Steering tie rod ends looked ok. Car probably needs a set of performance coil overs, bushings and maybe an A-arm rebuild. Call it $2,000 when it's all said and done.

7. Interior - carpets faded and dirty. New carpet kit is about $500.

8. Seats - seat covers as shown in pictures on craigslist can be thrown away. Original gray seats looked fine. Power functions did not all work, seats could be tilted, raised lowered but would not go fore/aft. I have no idea what it would take to get the seats working. I would probably just put a set of manual Recaros or Corbeau's in it. $1,500

9. Dash - I was concerned that the dash would be junk as there is a dash pad on the car that you can see in the Craigslist pictures. The only problem with the dash was little cracks around the defrost vents. The main part of the dash was in fine shape. Estimate - live with it

10. Door panels - need to be replaced, worn and worn out. Estimate $300 on eBay

11. Convertible top operation - unknown, I didn't try to put it down. Is it power or manual?

12. Engine/start-up - I did start the car, it cranked for about 10 seconds before it finally fired up and settled into an idle. Check engine '!' light was on. Idled fairly smoothly for a 3.0L four cylinder. I couldn't hear much of what the engine was doing as I was about 15 feet from the edge of Interstate 10. All I can say is that that the engine was running, the idle was steady and it revved up ok when the gas pedal was pressed.

13. Shifter felt rubbery and needs a short shifter, and probably transmission mounts/bushings. Estimate $300.

Keep in mind that even a "nice" $10,000 944S2 Cabriolet is probably going to need a lot of things updated and replaced. Let's add everything up and see where we are.

Purchase price – let’s assume this guy just wants to get rid of the car and will take $3,000.
Front fender repair $500
Pax fog/driving light $50
Cab top $500
Engine maintenance and leak repair $1000
Suspension freshening $2000
Carpet kit $500
Seats, replace with aftermarket $1500 ($250 if just repair broken power seat adjusters)
Door Panels $300
Shifter/trans mounts $300

Total $12,650. And we don't even know how it drives or if the power windows work. Fuel level gauge does not work. Perhaps the sane thing to do would be to turn it into a track car?

But let us not forget that only 562 of these cars were imported into the USA in 1991. Is that or will it every be worth anything?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

You mentioned that you didn't drive it, so the "!" light was probably on because the parking brake on.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

$500 is low for a cabriolet top, unless you happen to be an experienced top installer with a lot of spare time. Word is, it's a very difficult job.

I believe there is no such thing as an M030 convertible, but I have seen a couple with 9" rear wheels (maybe the D90 from the RoW 951 in 1990 and 1991?) My 1990 cabrio had 9" rears.

The "!" light can be caused by the 968-style airbag light in a 1991 S2 and that can only be reset by the diagnostic tool. Or the parking brake as stated. Low oil. Lots of stuff.

The S2 cab is a great car and as you say anything you buy will need some investment. If I wanted this car I think I'd pay the asking price which sounds fair but I have not seen it myself so I am going by what has been reported. The big question is if fixing this one up is better than finding a better starting point. If color is important and you are not inclined to do a color change repaint then options are few. If you like red then you can probably find a better starting point.

If you fix it up you'll be upside down on it in no time but it's a Porsche and not Berkshire Hathaway Preferred.

-Joel.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

My cab top cost $2,200 to purchase and install. No way you can do it yourself. The cheap tops run about $700, plus installation.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM
smokindav
Instructor

Ad price is down to $3,000. $2,500 would probably bring it home. Maybe I should go back for a test drive? I get the feeling the owner just wants to get rid of the car.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

not a terrible deal at $2500. even though it needs work its still a lot of car for the money.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you pull the carfax with VIN and inspect it for flood damage?

even a good condition 944 has lots of electronic issues. ask how i know. so, inspect every button, hing, door you can see.

the top is powered but many have made it manual.

as for the collectibility factor, you can forget about that. there is no such thing as a rare 944 even if it is the only one left haha... seriously, i dont understand why but it's true. i know because i have one! (1990 944 S2 cab)

i wish it appreciates like an e30 M3. these cars should really be more like $20k fully restored.

btw, the option codes are on a sticker in the user manual.

Quick Reply: S2 Cab, 61xxx miles $3,500 if anyone's looking