Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C fan relay (G1)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default A/C fan relay (G1)

My cabin fan (A/C Fan) abruptly quit working. I tried to pull the Fan Relay (G1) but it wouldn't pull out of the relay box. I was using pliers to grip the relay and instead of it coming out, the metal box that houses the relay mechanism came off. Aren't these relays supposed to simply pull out?

While the cover of the relay was off, I closed the contacts by hand and the fan motor began to run, telling me that it's probably either the relay windings gone bad or the switch on the A/C control head (****). I haven't tried to ferret the problem out yet but I'm still puzzled why the relay wouldn't pull out of the relay box.

Any comments?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM
dontnow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about the only things that would cause that are corrosion, and/or someone had a problem before and squeezed the female part that the spades go into super tight.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

I checked the input studs on the pen relay coil and there was 12 v coming in and a good ground on the other side but it didn't activate the relay. I finally pulled (forcefully) the relay and the 12 stud was plugged into a slot that was melted plastic. That's why it was stuck. The coil was fried. Don't know why the plastic around the input stud was melted but I've ordered 2 replacment relays, just in case.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Boy did I get in deep into this project. I pulled and disassembled the fuse/relay box to get at the contacts for the blower relay. Holy crap. A thousand pieces that have to be reinstalled just so. I burnished the contacts in question and put it all back together. I don't recommend anyone take this approach. It is just too complicated and if not done just right, the potential for either causing a short in the internal circuitry or a failed connection is a strong possibility. I cautiously applied battery power with a fire extenguisher at the ready. Little by little, I fired up each component, started the engine, ran the systems and it all works!

Quick Reply: A/C fan relay (G1)