Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird HVAC issue, need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Weird HVAC issue, need some suggestions

The temperature control **** has suddenly gotten very stiff to turn in either direction. Lubing it did not help. If anyone has had this issue before, what did you do? I could not find anything in search.
In a maybe related issue, the under glovebox temperature sensor clicks to heat with the **** on full cold. It The **** is turned to full heat then back to full cold the sensor clicks off and the heat turns off. All of my heater clips are intact.
Should I get a used HVAC dash unit or is there some fix for the **** stiffness?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:57 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

I just got done diagnosing my HVAC, so I feel like an expert

The clicking you're hearing is not the sensor. It's the solenoid to control vacuum to the heater valve. I saw another thread, I think it was on Pelican, that the temperature pot disintegrated. That could be why your **** is stiff and why you have to turn it all the way to make it turn off. I'm thinking that's why my HVAC unit doesn't work either. I think it's going to be tough to find a replacement potentiometer due to the way this thing is mounted.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

That would explain why turning the temp **** to full heat then back to full cold would turn it off after the heat would spontaneously turn itself on. Thanks for the help, now I need another HVAC head unit.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Good call, Moe. I found out there were a lot more controls that were not working correctly on the old unit after the new unit was installed. The click followed by the heater coming on and off is still there. I read that it could be the fan that blows the cabin air on to the temp sensor having gone out. I will have to check it out.

Last edited by arthropraxis; 01-02-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Weird HVAC issue, need some suggestions