Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 turbo gauges prototype

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Ryan_U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 turbo gauges prototype

I drew up some white faced gauges for my Porsche 944 turbo. I wanted metric numbers as the predominate speed but also retain MP/H. I added color to visualize the gauges better.

You will notice that the first segment of speeds are odd numbers. That is because the popular speeds for my region are 30, 50, 70, 100. I added a green buffer zone of 10 km/h in those ranges. That way in a 50 zone I know that when I'm in the green I'm between 50-60, which is a safe speed.

I also added color zones for the tach which represent the power band of my car.

Also did some other little color designs for temperature and oil pressure.

Tell me what you guys think.

Ryan
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ryan_U; 12-21-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks kinda... "San Francisco edition 944"
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Cool!

As far as design philosophy goes, you've got an inconsistency. The Voltmeter uses orange tick-marks for the 'warning' zone, whereas all other gauges have black tick-marks (regardless of zone) and orange fill for 'warning' zone. This would be fine if you wanted to draw attention to the voltmeter, say if it is your favorite gauge. However I doubt it's your favorite gauge. And if you have a favorite gauge, it should stand out more than just some different colored marks.

Are you going towards the functionality end or form end? If the former, the fill marks on the Tach would be pointless, I don't know who looks at their Tach to see whether or not they're in the powerband. Whereas on the Speedo they are more useful.

Since it's for your own personal car, I think you should add some more personal touch. I.e. look at the gauges of the Singer 911. The Tach face is a different color than all others, and also has a silhouette of a face, don't know who. (No affiliation with above-linked site, or Singer)

That's my extremely over-thought out response. Please note this is NOT to offend you in any way - but rather provide contructive criticism.

BTW Your main speedo unit is kilometers but the odo reads miles. Assuming it's because your car was originally delivered with imperial units?

You want the design in vector format (or VERY high reolustion), otherwise you'll see the pixelation.

Take care and happy holidays!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-19-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Ryan_U
Racer

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

That's my extremely over-thought out response. Please note this is NOT to offend you in any way - but rather provide contructive criticism.
Not offended at all. This is exactly the kind of critique I was looking for. Very constructive. I was just toying around with a few ideas to see what works or not. My pod is in imperial units now but I want to get a metric speedometer . I can barely see what speed I am going and at night, I'm guesstemating with a 50% margin of error. I'm thinking of toning down the colors a little and fixing some inconsistencies. The original file is of much higher resolution.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:32 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reimu
It looks kinda... "San Francisco edition 944"
LMAO
Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the middle of a gauge cluster project and I've tried a bunch of different gauge face colors. What I did was print gauge faces in various colors and put them in my prototyping cluster and reinstalled the needles. With everything together, I could see what looked good to me and what didn't. I'd suggest you do the same, and I'd recommend printing it on matte photo paper in a color laser printer if possible.

I absolutely hated white. There's no way I could live with it every day. Yellow and orange weren't much better. Out of all the colors I tried, black ended up being my favorite (seems like an awful lot of effort just to arrive back at the stock color). I also liked dark green (yes, really), dark blue and dark red. It was very apparent that the darker the color, the more I liked it, and the more the orange needles stood out against the background.

Right now I'm waiting on my new gauge faces to arrive. I'll post up some pictures of them when they get here, but they look stock. I only made a couple of very subtle changes.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I really want aluminum colored gauges. Prefer brushed but may settle on non-brushed. Just never had the time, expertise to make it happen.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
I really want aluminum colored gauges. Prefer brushed but may settle on non-brushed. Just never had the time, expertise to make it happen.
I had some brushed stainless made A while back by this place in Germany and they were very well done. They will do any customization you need and they are all laser cut for a perfect look/fit. Have the bezels in polished stainless also. Great service and fast turnaround/shipping.

No affil: http://www.white-face-gauges.com/html/porsche_996_997_boxster_s_whit.html
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Ryan_U
Racer

Default Black Gauges

I reworked the gauge design and I think black is a better choice. I also cut down on the colors to avoid the "San Fransico" look. Opinions?
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

remove the colors and have a classy white on black...or just keep the factory ones...they look perfect.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I agree black looks better, and the colors are way better. Dunno about the green on there but the rest looks great.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

black son
Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM
flightline
Instructor

I like the black a lot better. Three things I might change: the labels on the fuel gauge are odd. 4/4 and 1/2 don't have and coherent scheme to them. Why not 2/2 and 1/2? Better yet, just leave it off; you know what it means. I'd also like to see 1V ticks on the voltmeter. I think the reason it's not like that from the factory is just that it's not very accurate anyway, but it might be nice to have. Finally, putting dots on the speedo that correspond to redline in various gears is a neat idea that helps get a feel for shift points. I think I've seen this on a mercedes; kind of a cool feature and not very visually intrusive.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 PM
szabon
Racer

I think the black ones would look a lot better if you made the colors not neon. If you want green, then go for a less "in your face" green, etc. Just my .02
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Your fuel pump icon is pointing to the wrong side.

Quick Reply: 944 turbo gauges prototype