Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Now a Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't exactly call them "n00bs"

Take a look at the 951 boards and you usually see a mountain of tech info and discussions on how to turn wrenches and bring out the best from the car. Meanwhile on the 996 boards there are mostly discussions on cosmetics...
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The purpose for the car would be to restore for my son, not me. I have never seen one around here so they may be rare in this area. If you dont think they were "bargain basement Porsches" your dreaming.

I repeat: I do like the shape and lines of the car (spoiler excepted). Its the engine and lack of parts support that concerned me.

Hell, I might even drive it some myself if we restore one (though I would be wearing a hat and dark glasses to disguise myself lest I be spotted by a 911 brother). I can appreciate most classic cars but personally the 944 is beneath a real Porsche enthusiast (because of the front engine).
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I can appreciate most classic cars but personally the 944 is beneath a real Porsche enthusiast (because of the front engine).
By that reasoning, the 550 Spyder isn't a real Porsche. The 918 isn't a real Porsche, and the 986/987 aren't real Porsches.

Give up the engine position snobbery now or go back and play in the rear-engined section.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell, I might even drive it some myself if we restore one (though I would be wearing a hat and dark glasses to disguise myself lest I be spotted by a 911 brother). I can appreciate most classic cars but personally the 944 is beneath a real Porsche enthusiast (because of the front engine).
You could put on anything you want, but you will never be able to hide being pretentious *****. Its just a shame you, like many of your 911 brethren will end up wrecking your beloved far superior car due to you inferior driving skills and inflated egos.

Good Day Sir
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Then again, like Odurandina said, you dump $50K in it and its still a $2K car.

if i were to guess, based on what i've seen, i think 968s pay about 1 dollar back for about every 3 or 4 dollars that go in... with some 911s, to be fair, this number seems to drop down to about 1 dollar back for about every 2 o 3 that go in [ahhh, those '70s 911s].... but don't try this at home with the late model bugwagons.

a basic V8 968 sold for $17 K on ebay in a short sale recenly... i've seen low miles 968s fetch in the high teens to low twenties.... i can imagine the Mike Goki V8 would have done better on Cars.com.... and while i agree that 944s/968s aren't collectable Porsches, we have several folks on the board who've got near or over $100 k invested in their cars. but i'm not sure it's about the money.... you can make similar arguments about most Porsches including 80s/90s/00s era 930s, 964s 996's and even 997s, which i happen to like [a lot].... guys have considerable amounts of money in... but i'm not at all sure they're collectable....

the water cooled 911s w/ their disposable engines present a very poor alternative to the 968s which can easily go 300 k miles between rebuilds... [LN bearing failures are beginning to be seen as well]...... furthermore, i can show you plenty of $16~18 k 968s that compare favorably with $30~34 k 996s in the invoice/resale/time context... the profiles are indeed, very close.

many 944/968 owners, also have serious money invested in multiple cars, including adding 911s.... and there are 911 owners who've been buying 944s and 968s recently as well.... just the same, while i don't shy away from mentioning the money-in context [if we're talking $$$,], i'm fairly sure that loving an upside down car isn't going on with much consederation given to resale. i'm modding a car to enjoy for a very long time. and while, i can think of a few more expensive cars i wish i could own and drive, those would have a considerable number of down days [which would also be ok]... but i'm not wealthy.

still, i feel priviledged to be in a sports car that offers so much for so little—and still be able to have so much other stuff going on.

just the same, every time you post, you seem to fit more closely with the 911 quasi-douche stereotype. and as a matter of fact, you do most of the 911 folks a disservice with your posts here, as well as the goofy, [life is only fair becuase i drive an entry-level supercar] avatar..... and while you seem fairly smug, you seem not to be much of a well-rounded car enthusiast [thank God most 911 owners i've met are]..... too bad you probably will just pass off the feedback you're receiving here [from true car enthusiasts] as little more than inappropriate, proletariat mud slinging.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the engine and lack of parts support that concerned me.
There is nothing wrong with the engine. Just do the belts every 30k and possibly replace the rod bearings and engine oil seals. Pretty much nothing that wouldn't be done on another 25+ year old engine. I routinely see 944's with over 150k and some with 200k miles on them.
Parts are very easy to find. Since the cars are cheap you can usually find one or two in any junkyard. The 944 is a parts bin car. It has a rabbit front suspension, super beetle rear, and random audi and vw bits throughout. In general most parts are cheap and easy to get.
Like any car if you treat it right it will treat you right.
If I were you I would look at getting a 1985.5 or a 1986. It has the benefits of the late cars with the offset of early cars. Early offset is better because you can interchange the arms with steel pieces. But the main reason is because you can run Fuchs.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

by Thursday, i'll be at about 58 k on the belts and the fresh set of Gates going on [via PorscheDoc].
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy Rev
You could put on anything you want, but you will never be able to hide being pretentious *****. Its just a shame you, like many of your 911 brethren will end up wrecking your beloved far superior car due to you inferior driving skills and inflated egos.

Good Day Sir
+1...Its always funny when people, who didn't design/engineer the actual car, act like buying one makes them smarter or superior...I see them and think "wow, your bank has a nice car...nice of them to let you drive it."
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOp
"wow, your bank has a nice car...nice of them to let you drive it."
Old 12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

OP has owned his car (his first Porsche) for a little over a month and he's a "real" Porsche enthusiast -- the mind boggles.

KrazyK.. We get that you're proud of your car, dude. That's fine, it's a nice car. However if you bag on other people's rides to show it (especially when you're in *their* house), you can expect them to get a little out of sorts and ask you to politely GTFO...
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
ditch68
Racer

Originally Posted by mbardeen
OP has owned his car (his first Porsche) for a little over a month and he's a "real" Porsche enthusiast -- the mind boggles.

Why does that not surprise me at all?

I paid my own allowance money to watch Derek Bell, Bob Akin, and Al Holbert, et. al, flog 962s and 935K3s in anger in the 80's as a kid, and have been into and involved in racing for 30 years and apparently I am not a "true Porsche Enthusiast".

Jeff

Last edited by ditch68; 12-10-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Avoiding stooping to a lower level.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

KrazyK____It seem to you don't drive your C4 in bad weather or rain so asking why did you get such a car. Your are telling peoples to buy a C4 if they want to know what traction is all about,how do you know? since you don't drive in bad weather.And yes I agree with you that you should get a 944 this way you'll be able to drive & enjoye it in all kind of bad weather not sitting in it looking at your garage walls.Also seen you had to change the motors mounts on your C4 what up ? surely on such an expensive top of the line Porsche they should last a very long time,because on the (bargain basement 944)I've seen them last well over a 100K miles.And last but not the least ???? did you move your C4 inside your house like you were planning to do & make a show piece out of it ? just curious here.Not 100% sure but I think your started something here that you'll end up being a looser at when it's all done.So while your ahead may I suggest you make a U turn & head back to the 996 forum.Take care & GL with your trolling somewhere else.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ernie, the reason I dont use it in bad weather is I like to keep the car clean. Inside, outside, underneath, and engine compartment. Its just one of my things. I cant stand working on a dirty vehicle wether its the body, engine, suspension, etc.

Yes, Im very serious about keeping the car in my house because the 911 IS a work of art and masterpiece of vehicle design. A 911's lines are more timeless I suppose yet carefully refined over decades. It would be a great conversation piece for guests.

The 944 lines are, well, to put it nicely, kind of like looking at an old high top shoe. Maybe comfortable but its still an old shoe from the 80's. The 944 is seems more like 80's Miami Vice cheap ripoff lines (and I do love the 80's). I hope that better explains my point. No offense intended.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM
ditch68
Racer

Just get the **** out of here you troll POS. Do you have nothing better to do with your time?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

whoa whoa whoa

Come on guys just cuz this dude is ob-v being a SUPER ***** (no offense intended <--- that makes it ok to say whatever I want) doesn't mean we should be bagging out the 996/997 911's.... sure they have their IMS failures, hell all of our p-cars have issues! The 911/930/944/951/968 weren't perfect either, and while the 996 def is one of the ugliest 911's ever built, they are super fun to drive!

Can we rip more into this dude for being an ******* rather than insulting an innocent lil C4S the car did nothing wrong!!!!!!! :'(

Quick Reply: 944 Now a Classic?