Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Now a Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

they built about 138,000 units.

that's enough 944s such that if you lined them up end to end they would lead from about New York to Hawaii.

by any measuring stick, the 944 Turbo is deserving of strong consideration as the third highest performing car of the 1980's....

[on the Nurburgring it would finish just behind the Ferrari F-40 and Porsche 959 and ahead of all others- including the Esprit Turbo].

Originally Posted by KrazyK

and there is nothing "sloppy" about a C4S. Read any review.

just hassling...
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the biggest issue is the lack of parts/support because it was such a short model run vs. the 911.

Regardless, yes it is a Porsche even if it is a "POS" as you said. Oh and there is nothing "sloppy" about a C4S. Read any review.
I'm not getting emotional here but are you being serious? Based on the huge 944 production run size (model years may be lower but try putting an air cooled engine your "model run" C4S.....you're comparing apples to oranges)

I can assure you that every part you need to restore a 944 is readily available and actually most are quite reasonable. Hence the reason I race them instead of an air cooled 911...it's too expensive to replace parts on a 911.

Can't tell from the pic but I'm guessing you have an M96 engine block yes? If so you're intermediate shaft is a time bomb.....they all have their flaws. Ours are just cheaper to fix well......mostly cheaper.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

OP, if your intention is in fact to look into a fun project for you and your son I would heartily recommend a 944. As others have said, there were a lot of them built, parts supply both new and used is plentiful and relatively inexpensive and this forum is a wealth of information if you are willing to do you homework, listen and learn.

Forgive us if we're a little sensitive to the whole "not a real Porsche thing", there are many before you who have trolled on this subject.

Cheers
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 944 is still a Porsche relative just like a Ford Focus is to a Shelby Cobra.
Nothing at all like that. Its not a relative it is a Porsche. More like Corvair (911) to Corvette (951).
One of my friend's coworkers calls Beetles/911s ***-engined **** sleds.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 PM
etmracing
Advanced

The op seems like a typical new porsche tool. He's just trying to stir crap up I've been in enough c4s that I feel sorry for him.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Read any review.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bordin34
Nothing at all like that. Its not a relative it is a Porsche. More like Corvair (911) to Corvette (951).
One of my friend's coworkers calls Beetles/911s ***-engined **** sleds.
Yeah all the judges at the Lone Star Porsche Concours events didnt know that the front engine cars were not Porsches. And POS's at that.

That is why they passed over all those C4S's and the Overall Concours Winner was "gasp", a POS front engine car.

A 928 GTS - just another POS like a Focus, of FookUs, or whatever.

I mean it is not even a Porsche right?

Kind of like a C4S. It is not a 911 either. They just dont know it.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

lol come on now everyone, your all taking this a little to seriously. He is clearly just a troll with nothing else better to do.

On the other hand, maybe the original poster is serious about wanting a project. I am guessing after buying out the lease on his wifes C4S he doesn't want to drive it that much for fear of the engine grenading itself.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the 911 uses automotive trickery [i.e. huge tire stagger] to achieve forcible results....

yet, when challenged by a mid-engine or transaxle platform, we are quickly reminded of the 911s limitations....

add a capable engine to a 944 or 968 and it's game over.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 944 is still a Porsche relative just like a Ford Focus is to a Shelby Cobra.
bwhahahahhaha !! i mean..that was not offensive at all...really...you can do more of that, lol !!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Hum! once more an interesting debate real versus none real Porsche meaning 911 versus 914/924/944s/968.My first experience with the Porsche brand was in the 70s with a humle 914-4 a (V/W) rigth?.Then after a while decided to get a real one a 914-6.But wait it's confusing here since the motor was from Porsche & still had a V/W body wonder if it was the real deal.Ok enougth lol I'm gone to buy a real one a 911 & move with the big boys,after owning several 911 I kind sincerly say that I didn't really enjoye driving & maintain them & that the 914-6 could have run circles around any of them. In 83 I took the big plunge & bougth a 944 one of the best all around car I,ve ever own & enjoye,in fact the love affair last 26 yrs.But wait someting wrong here,yes it had a real Porsche motor but was built at the wrong location the Audi plant & worst some parts had Audi/VW markings on it, damn I guess once more it's not a real Porsche rigth?So enougth said three years ago I once more took the plunge in quest of a real Porsche.This one was Ulrich Bez project which after some internal figthing & opposition from Porsche insider still went ahead with it & yes it was built at the rigth location STUGGART & rigth aside the all migthy 911 it was the 968.There we go again darn something fishy here, it's a water cool & has the motor in the front,so being sixty-seven year old now & it will probably be my last Porsche I'm still asking myself if I'm driving a real Porsche lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh, i must not be all that sensitive to this, i didn't really get the feeling he was trolling. Way to be welcoming guys. :P

The 944 *IS* slow, even the stock 951. Slow until you LSx it. Great handling cars and i love mine, but in the grand scheme of things the 944 gets beat by well, everything. Accept this, and don't be so angry at the 911 guy who doesn't know about the car. I love my car and i could give a flying F less about what anyone thinks about it. At least its not a Mustang.

Welcome to the 944 forum Krazy, find a decent car and have fun with your son, thats what its all about. Its a great car to teach him to drive in. I like your C4S as well, i'd really like a chance to drive one (ive never gotten to drive any 911 and i'd like to change that).
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ernie9468
Hum! once more an interesting debate real versus none real Porsche meaning 911 versus 914/924/944s/968.My first experience with the Porsche brand was in the 70s with a humle 914-4 a (V/W) rigth?.Then after a while decided to get a real one a 914-6.But wait it's confusing here since the motor was from Porsche & still had a V/W body wonder if it was the real deal.Ok enougth lol I'm gone to buy a real one a 911 & move with the big boys,after owning several 911 I kind sincerly say that I didn't really enjoye driving & maintain them & that the 914-6 could have run circles around any of them. In 83 I took the big plunge & bougth a 944 one of the best all around car I,ve ever own & enjoye,in fact the love affair last 26 yrs.But wait someting wrong here,yes it had a real Porsche motor but was built at the wrong location the Audi plant & worst some parts had Audi/VW markings on it, damn I guess once more it's not a real Porsche rigth?So enougth said three years ago I once more took the plunge in quest of a real Porsche.This one was Ulrich Bez project which after some internal figthing & opposition from Porsche insider still went ahead with it & yes it was built at the rigth location STUGGART & rigth aside the all migthy 911 it was the 968.There we go again darn something fishy here, it's a water cool & has the motor in the front,so being sixty-seven year old now & it will probably be my last Porsche I'm still asking myself if I'm driving a real Porsche lol.
You know how it is

911 = Real Porsche

356 = Maybe Real Porsche if they know they exist

914 = Not Porsche - doesnt matter that one can smoke you.

944/968/928 = Not Porsche

Cayenne = Not Porshce

Panamera = Not Porsche

Cayman = Not Porsche

Boxster= Not Porsche

All Not Porsche = POS

Easy isnt it.

Except when you see that Porsche has not made a factory code 911 since 1989.

Hmmm 996 = Not Real Porsche

I like most of all them. I really wanted an Audi 5000 - that was going to be IT for me.

But I might yet have a 914.

Dont look at this - How did that Not Porsche get to front. Passing 20 or more Porsches in One Lap.

Didnt he know better?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 PM
etmracing
Advanced

It's the way the op made his posting, he was clearing taking his stabs at the model. I own a "real" porsche as well as 944's they are every bit porsche. I'd like to see one of these guys bash a 944 to my face.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No, I was looking for an entry level Porsche to restore/build with my son. He damn sure aint driving my C4S. If he blows up the 944, well they are a dime a dozen as they say. No need to get all abusive on the 911's.

And, the Audi comparison was a joke. A more fair comparison would have been a 911 TT with AWD not a C2. You 944 guys sure are sensitive.

Quick Reply: 944 Now a Classic?