Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 back wiper not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM
turtles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 back wiper not working

On the list of things not working on my new car... I can add the back windshield wiper. I tried it out today, it went to halfway position, stopped there and now won't move. any advice? thanks in advance
Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turtles
On the list of things not working on my new car... I can add the back windshield wiper. I tried it out today, it went to halfway position, stopped there and now won't move. any advice? thanks in advance
More info needed. Did you check the simply stuff already? I.E. fuses and relay? Then check to make sure you have fire at the motor.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:39 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This is very common. The motor is broken, and all you can really do is replace it or delete it (I've never seen a fixed one, it's not worth it). Watch out - used ones are as old as your broken one. I hear there is a waiting list for 968 rear wiper motors at dismantlers.

For some reason 944 rear wiper motors seem to last longer, but they are not the same. You can make it work, but you'd need all the parts that go with it, like the rubber grommet, the wiper, and all the hardware. They are noisier though.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 PM
turtles
Track Day

thanks for your answers. I guess I just have to accept that it will never work. can you tell me a way to make the wiper go back to its normal position? it's making me crazy in the middle.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turtles
thanks for your answers. I guess I just have to accept that it will never work. can you tell me a way to make the wiper go back to its normal position? it's making me crazy in the middle.
Remove, Add plug.
That's what I'd do anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:35 PM
turtles
Track Day

the plug is in that black box on the back window?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...4bea526acbe956 Rear Wiper Delete plug.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The plug is a part you buy and put into the hole in the glass, after you remove the wiper. Here's a picture:

You can find aftermarket or factory plugs at various websites for sale:
http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=205
http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/wdpk.htm

I have a few genuine plugs that I've been saving, if you're interested I'll sell you one, send me a PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I just removed the rear wiper on our 968, as a street/track car, just decided to remove it and go with a light weight option
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

my rear wiper motor is available.

don't want it. it works fine. i don't use it.

anyone interested, pm.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 PM
shinrai
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going to add this to the trust..

1993 968.

Originally had the same issue as the OP. Wiper stopped half-way and froze.
I figured nothing to lose by pulling this apart for the obvious reasons (caked up gear mechanism etc.). Gear mech looked fine so I went after the motor.
It's basically a non-serviceable unit but you can drill out the rivets and drill and tap for the cover bolts.
The cover must be removed to disassemble the motor:

I found a damaged wire on the armature winding. Separated. Not sure why but it may have been damaged during original assembly and finally let loose over 25 years. If everything else looks good go for a manual rewind.
You'll need 26 AWG magnet wire which you can find online:

Mark each pole so you know how it goes back together. Fine Sharpie works. Unwind damaged wire:

Keep unwinding:

Rewind tracing your steps which should be:
Wrap 8 > 5 and stop.
Wrap 8 > 1 (NOT 8 to NOT 1)
Wrap 4 > 1

27 turn.

There are videos out there that show you how to remove the varnish insulation where the wire contacts the 8 points of the commutator. Takes patience but it is doable.
Neat little project and after reassembly all is well. Wiper is back to normal and saved a few hunnie.

Cheers!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:55 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

But how to get the motor back in the housing? Have issues with the magnets.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 PM
No Lag
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue on my 91 S2. I did take it apart and found a linkage pin backed out and jammed the system. I’m sure the previous owner tried to turn on the system and fried the motor. I found the brushes were fried so I gave up and bought a new replacement.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:33 AM
shinrai
Instructor

Originally Posted by DSMblue
But how to get the motor back in the housing? Have issues with the magnets.
Not sure what you mean here.
The magnets are permanently attached to the outer casing. The motor assembly is removed from the gearbox by removing 2 screws. Remove motor assembly with the armature and bearing by gently pushing outward on the output shaft.
The brush assembly is held on the casing with 4 malleable metal tabs. Bend the tabs out and remove the brush assembly and inspect.
When the armature is repaired gently pull out the brushes and insert the armature into brush assembly. Then insert the armature/brush assembly gently into the casing. It is keyed and only goes in one way. Be sure that the bearing is properly seated. Re-install 2 screws.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 AM
shinrai
Instructor

Clearly brushes are worn out in the pics above. Maybe source new ones from an RC car shop but looks like the retainer is buggered so time for a new wiper motor assembly.
Mine looked new when I took it apart - probably because I rarely use the rear wiper. 1 swipe then off. If you leave it on for extended periods of time I imagine that would cause the excessive brush wear.

Quick Reply: 968 back wiper not working