Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did my battery die?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Dan Reynolds
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did my battery die?

2000 Boxster Basic. Put a new batter in earlier this summer and it's been working just fine. For the last two weeks, I will sometimes turn the key off, but the radio stays on and I get an audio signal ("bing") that stays on until the door is closed. When this happens, I can immediately start the car again, then turn it off after a few seconds, and everything shuts down normally. Normally, the radio stays on for a few seconds and then turns off and there is no "bing" "bing" "bing". It's a daily driver, so the battery has stayed charged, I guess, but this weekend I didn't drive it at all, and Monday morning, it was flat dead. Does that sound like an alternator?
Old 10-10-2018, 12:11 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You would get a battery warning if the alternator wasn't charging. The bing bing is normal on some after market radios when the ignition key is turned off. It's a reminder to remove the faceplate on the radio so it doesn't get stolen. I don't know where you bought your battery from but I've had to replace three batteries from Advance Autoparts in short order. I recommend going to O'reilly's autoparts and have them test the battery and when it shows it can't maintain a load, replace it with a BOSCH battery. O'Reilly's sells Bosch.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Torrem3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the right section, but is the radio original or aftermarket? It sounds like car is still switched in accessory or engine on mode hence the dinging when you leave the car sometimes. I’m not too familiar with boxster 986’s though I would get one in the future... but would be leaning toward a short or failure of the switch/electrical part of the ignition key tumbler mechanism. I assume the tumbler part is mechanical and it slides into the receptacle that is electric and activate the accessory/engine ON/ Engine Start positions. Especially if after you put the key and start and shut off the car it shuts down right. Ie in doing that you jiggled the ignition tumbler with you key during the on off and successfully shut your accessories including the radio off.

anyone else agree with my thought process?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:39 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

ggg

Quick Reply: Why did my battery die?