Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintaining a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM
emt1581
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintaining a 944?

I'm looking at an 83' non-turbo 944 that has had a ton of recent work done to it and hopefully the PPI reveals that, mechanically, it is in good shape. So let's say I buy it.

With winter coming it'll most likely either be in one of my garages or covered in the driveway. Does either make a difference? Also what is involved in winterizing if, say, we get a TON of snow and I can't drive it for a month or two? I know for my bike I just drain the fuel line and hook it up to a battery tender....but this is a PORSCHE! So what all would need to be done?

As far as or maybe bi-yearly maintenance...what all do you check, adjust, and/or replace?

I do my own oil changes, brakes, fluid checks, tires, etc...so the basics...but I'm a quick learner so if there is anything else I can do without expensive/Porsche-specific tools...I'll do it. Any suggestions on easier stuff to learn/do for these?

Something else I'm curious about is...what can a PPI NOT tell that could be potentially disastrous/crucial/expensive?

I've been googling and searching this forum for such info. But certainly any info anyone could provide for a potential first time Porsche owner would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 511 Posts

drain the fuel or put fuel stabilizer in...good to go.

certainly wouldnt hurt to start it once in a while over the cold months though...change the usual fluids in spring and happy motoring.

keep an eye out for belt/water pump service history, clutch replacement, speed/reference sensor replacement, head gasket/oil cooler seals...
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 PM
emt1581
Track Day

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
drain the fuel or put fuel stabilizer in...good to go.

certainly wouldnt hurt to start it once in a while over the cold months though...change the usual fluids in spring and happy motoring.

keep an eye out for belt/water pump service history, clutch replacement, speed/reference sensor replacement, head gasket/oil cooler seals...
I appreciate the info. Here is what the ad says it has had done in the past year alone...

Tires (Khumo Ecsta 225/50/15)
Timing belt/balance shaft belt rollers
Special Mercedes Benz Coolant with distilled water
Mobil 1 15w-50 Full Synthetic Engine Oil
Very rare coolant crossover pipe heat shield - a special european 944 part
Front Brake Rotors (Zimmerman coated)
Front Brake Pads
Front control arms/ball joints with Powerflex Polyurethane bushings - really tightens up the steering & handling
Front Steering Rack delrin bushing - also very much tightens up the steering
4 wheel laser alignment
Rear shocks
Transmission fluid (Redline Synthetic)
Short throw shifter (on trans)
Sunroof seal
Rear hatch seal
All bulbs replaced with white LED's - much more modern look and better lighting
Ignition wires - Beru
Spark Plugs - Bosch with silver electrodes
Ignition cap & rotor - Bosch
Speed & reference Sensors - Bosch
Fuel Pump - Bosch
Fuel hoses - Genuine Porsche
Upgraded Battery Cables
Upgraded Hella H4 E-Code headlights with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs

So like I said...a lot has been done from the looks of it.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What price?
How many actual miles?
Get a sample of the oil and fedex to Blackstone for analysis ?
Owner knows his 944... Good sign.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Mouse traps.

When was the clutch done? How about a brake fluid flush? The window switches might die soon. The odometer gear might die soon. Keep an eye on CV boots. Parking brake still work? Is the hatch delaminating? Could always have a starter or alternator die. Tie rod ends wear out. So do upper strut mounts and caster mounts. Wheel bearings? Power steering? If so, it'll leak some day. Minor vacuum leaks? Might need to rebuild the throttle body. Rubber hoses - either for coolant or vacuum hoses might fail. You'll know if all of a sudden the brake pedal is rock hard. Speaking of pedals, how about the clutch master and slave cylinders?

A lot of this stuff a PPI either won't find or won't be able to predict *when* it might fail. Of course you might be able to drive it for 3 years only doing oil changes and not have a problem - but I'll bet you'll soon learn about at least one of those.

Regardless, have fun - 944s are awesome cars!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:00 AM
emt1581
Track Day

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
What price?
How many actual miles?
Get a sample of the oil and fedex to Blackstone for analysis ?
Owner knows his 944... Good sign.
Price is $2600-ish.

No clue on actual mileage.

Sample of the oil won't happen pre-purchase. This guy seems really antsy.

I got the same impression with the work done.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy it as long as there is no oil leaks and clutch is good.

i did and still love it. i have spent a bit of time fixing it up.

as for storage, fill up the tank with stablizer. over inflate the tires and hook up a tender.

it'd be best to store it inside to protect the car from elements and critters. also rubber such as tires will hold up better in a garage. a nice outdoor cover is great though. get a custom one so it will fit better.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 AM
emt1581
Track Day

Originally Posted by Van
Mouse traps.

When was the clutch done? How about a brake fluid flush? The window switches might die soon. The odometer gear might die soon. Keep an eye on CV boots. Parking brake still work? Is the hatch delaminating? Could always have a starter or alternator die. Tie rod ends wear out. So do upper strut mounts and caster mounts. Wheel bearings? Power steering? If so, it'll leak some day. Minor vacuum leaks? Might need to rebuild the throttle body. Rubber hoses - either for coolant or vacuum hoses might fail. You'll know if all of a sudden the brake pedal is rock hard. Speaking of pedals, how about the clutch master and slave cylinders?

A lot of this stuff a PPI either won't find or won't be able to predict *when* it might fail. Of course you might be able to drive it for 3 years only doing oil changes and not have a problem - but I'll bet you'll soon learn about at least one of those.

Regardless, have fun - 944s are awesome cars!
What did you mean by mouse traps??

That paragraph on the "might die soons" is just about giving me a coronary. I appreciate the info but how likely is all the stuff you speak of given all the work that has been done?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emt1581
What did you mean by mouse traps??

That paragraph on the "might die soons" is just about giving me a coronary. I appreciate the info but how likely is all the stuff you speak of given all the work that has been done?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Only little advice I will give based on my experience is even if ALL of the things other posters said are in perfect order......check the wiring...20 hour clutch jobs are touch but wire hunting cause someone wanted to mod(speakers, alarms, remote starts..ect) can be your worst nightmare and WILL cause a fire....ask me how I know -_-
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Yarf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pre-Purchase Inspection information can be found @
http://www.clarks-garage.com/purchase.htm
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 AM
emt1581
Track Day

How do I check the wiring and will a PPI show that? I have to check out the link provided which should tell me...just figured I'd throw it out there.

Again, I'm just really nervous because, if this car turns out to be really fun and I buy it, I don't want to be paying a ton of money to keep it as a daily driver.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

These cars can give and they can take. It is nice that the one you are looking at appears to have had some maintenance from what sounds like a knowledgeable owner. The first 3 years I owned my car, it didn't give me any trouble and I didn't know what I was doing. Since then, I have had to educate myself and spend a lot of time and money to catch up on maintenance items. I am still crossing my fingers that the cluch doesn't need anything for a few more years. Recent items I have done:

Timing and Balance Belt / Rollers / FOES
Water Pump
Power Steering Rack
Power Steering Pump
Replaced all Vacuum Lines
Replaced delaminated rear hatch
DME Computer
Alternator
Motor Mounts
Cleaned Fuel Injectors
Cycling Valve
J Boot
Rebuilt Throttle Body
Rear Cam Tower Gasket
Fuel Jumper Hose
Fuel Pressure Regulator
DME Temp Sensor
AFM
Coil, Distributor Cap, Rotor, Plug Wires and Spark Plugs

That doesn't include trying to make the car look pretty. I have had this car since 2007. Several common problems still to be worked through. It is not my only car and I like working on it. My guess is you will need to spend 1,000 to 1,500 every year keeping it running. Some years more and some less. This assumes you are willing to do your own work.

If you are not prepared for that, I think you might be disappointed.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry, I meant to put mouse traps in the car for winter storage. If mice chew on the wiring, you're in for a really big project. No fun finding a nest, either.

For the stuff that "might" die... those were just things that came to mind that weren't mentioned in the ad. None of it is that "critical" or a deal-breaker - but just stuff that a lot of us have had to deal with at one time or another.

I've owned at least one 944 continuously since '96, hopefully you'll have yours for a long time, too.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

oher than mouse traps, try soap, like irish spring bar soap, mice don't like the scent and stay away from it. fill the tank with gas add one can of staybil fuel additive.

check for rust, he did the sunroof/hatch seal, i would be surprised if he did them because of severe leaks.

check that everything works properly.

he did the fuel lines, ask if he's talking at the tank or the one's over the engine that tend to dry out, crack and cause engine fires(like mine did). if he did do the engine one, with the belt. give the car a good look over during winter, it seems as if the previous owner took good care of it, see if there's anything you want to add. like cd player, or even something like a new hood badge(betting the one on it is original and worn). personally i'd drain the MB coolant, i'd put in either Porsche coolant or just regular coolant bought from a parts store.

how's the paint? 2600 seems really cheap for any 944 that's been looked after.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Alot of good advice has been posted already. No matter how much homework and checks you do it comes down to the fact these are 20-25 year or more cars and soemthing will break, go out, etc every once in a while. For what it is worth, I bought mine for $900 and purchased a $600 parts car. Yep have done alot of work to it but doing it all myself has kept cost very reasonable. Mine does an average of 500 miles per week. Buy it and enjoy it, but if your expecting a car that is as worry free as say a 3 year old Honda don't get your hopes up. But for the money, these cars are hard to beat for fun to drive machines. By the way, if your car does does not have power steering your in luck, many folks try to find the '83 manual racks. They usually go for $350 or so. I bought another parts car for $350 just so I could get the manual rack off of it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Maintaining a 944?