Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber on Waterpump Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber on Waterpump Pulley

I noticed last week when I took my timing covers off to check on the belts that there were some specks of rubber on the water pump pulley. I checked the tension of the timing belt and added a little bit more tension thinking it was possibly loose and slipping. So today I look at the pulley and there is more rubber on it.
My temperature is normal, about half way up the gauge and I never noticed and odd sounds.
I replaced the belts, rollers, and water pump about 10,000 miles ago. Water pump I believe was a Laso from 944online.
I would think that my water pump is intermittently seizing?
Edit: the water pump pulley does not wobble at all.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check the pulleys to make sure the "collars" were facing the correct way?

You might want to take off the outside cam gear cover --under the dist cap-- and check to see if the belt is aligned as before on the cam gear.

To get rubber specs something is rubbing.

I do not understand adding tension to the cam belt. If too tight it will burn out the WP seal or bearing when the engine expands as normal when driven making it even tighter.

GL
John
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 PM
bordin34
Pro

The belt is toward the front of the cam gear. It is still fully engaged, about 1mm from the front edge.
The belt may have been slightly under tension, I could twist it a little more than 90 degrees and could turn the water pump pulley with one hand with some effort. So I tensioned it to where I could just get a 90 degree twist and turn the pulley with two hands.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:06 PM
bordin34
Pro

Also car is a 1986 N/A with the updated water pump and rollers.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
bordin34
Pro

Just thinking out loud. When I replaced the timing belt I did not replace the idler roller because I had receipts from the previous owner saying it was replaced 10k before I bought the car. The roller sounded grainy when I took it off last week. Hopefully that is intermittently seized and heating up the belt allowing it to deposit rubber on the pump. I remember the roller being hot when I took it off after driving.
Also the rubber on the water pump is not streaky at all as I would expect if it were seizing.
So I am going to order a new one and another timing belt and replace it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Rubber on Waterpump Pulley