Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Neglect stories

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:57 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 944 Neglect stories

Pretty New to posting on the forum but have been reading learning for almost 2 years. Own an 83 944 and an 86 Turbo. After replacing some pretty basic items on my car with new updated thing I continually come to realize and see the gross neglect these cars seem to Habitually suffer from.

Just a couple of things I have dealt with are but not limited to: brake pads never changed, front seal not done when TB and WP changed, vacuum hoses, J-boots...that are obviously destroyed...fan AND cut off switch wired into the factory alarm and DME relay....brake fluid brown and thick as syrup. <---but both cars have new CD players installed correctly...

Would love to hear what others have had to deal with....just wonder is this isolated with these cars? I see older cars that have been neglected....but I am not sure I could honestly say that I have seen it happen at the percentage I see from 944-951's. Some may site maintenance cost. I have a 99 civic EX. So many parts are cheaper for the 944 it is insane simply based on the popularity of certain Hondas. Conversely if you did maintenance cost vs performance, gas mileage, very cheap insurance. Last part being subjective I would like others to list what issues they found on their cars that were obvious and the PO just said to hell with.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

" Last part being subjective I would like others to list what issues they found on their cars that were obvious and the PO just said to hell with. " AlphaOmegaPower

I read your posts and the brake pad & caliper required a lot of work.
Interesting about the V12 fans.

Having over 10 years on the forums, I can easily answer your Q.
Everything.

I think in the 2 years you have been reading the posts, you now are questioning how much effort and money you want to invest in the two old Porsche cars you own. Is it worth it?

If you enjoy working on the cars every weekend and constantly buying parts for maintenance and upgrades, the 83 944 & 86 turbo are a good choice.

If you do not , this is the reason that the cars get neglected and sold cheap to fresh green buyers with memories of youth and wanting to own a Porsche.

Just my view.
John
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by John_AZ
"
I think in the 2 years you have been reading the posts, you now are questioning how much effort and money you want to invest in the two old Porsche cars you own. Is it worth it?

If you enjoy working on the cars every weekend and constantly buying parts for maintenance and upgrades, the 83 944 & 86 turbo are a good choice.

If you do not , this is the reason that the cars get neglected and sold cheap to fresh green buyers with memories of youth and wanting to own a Porsche.

Just my view.
John
I agree to a point. My thing is if it is maintained like people seem to do their Nissans and Pick up trucks these continual issues would never come up. At least not in the frequency they do. High heat under the hood can cause certain issues and that is a given but you have to admit some cases are a bit ridiculousness. PO not doing the clutch....not sure anyone will fault them. But brake fluid? lmao That is the silliest thing on Earth...(I say that but when i think most do not change the fluid in any other car either )

Only other car I can think of I have seen with neglect close to these cars are older Datsuns(oddly with a body similar to the 944).

I will say the room to work with is more of an issue with me.....but working on it does not bother me at all. I enjoy it. But when NOTHING has been changed on the car....and things like fuel lines are just hanging on....makes you wonder what on Earth the person was thinking when they thought doing this or NOT doing this is a great idea.. speaking slightly from frustration but most of what i have done(with all the write ups and internetz) is fairly easy. What is not easy is trying to figure out multiple problems at once from gross negligence(made it sound like a crime)
Old 10-20-2012, 09:53 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
...the cars get neglected and sold cheap to fresh green buyers with memories of youth and wanting to own a Porsche.

Just my view.
John
I was thinking about it a different way...

Let's suppose you're 17 and have been working a summer job and have 4 or 5 grand just burning a hole in your pocket. What are you going to buy if you want a sports car? You could get a Civic or a GTI or a Miata, but perhaps none of those appeal to you. What if you could actually afford a... P O R S C H E !!!

You're 17. You don't know what you don't know. Needs a timing belt. No problem, my friend's dad has got a bitchin' set of tools.

And now you're broke 'cause you just spent every last dime on buying the car and the rear hatch is stuck closed and the heater runs full hot whenever it feels like it and the sunroof is stuck and you just blew the speakers and gas is $4 and you gotta pay for 74 in a 55.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 PM
ditch68
Racer

John is right, these cars just are not for everyone. They do require more care and maintenance than most, and that is reflected in the price - which is low, and makes people dive into 944 ownership and find out later it is over their head.

I just read through the PHX and Tucson craigslist ads for "Porsche 944", which I do every couple days, and I'd say half the cars are going cheap with big problems and neglect and the owner wants to cash out and move on rather than address the issues like clutches and such, or cars that are WAY overpriced, because the owner HAS paid a lot of time and money making or keeping it right, and in his perspective, it is worth that super-premium price that in reality the market saturated with basket cases (or ones on the brink) won't support.

When I bought any of my 944s or 924S (or especially 951) resale value or cost of upkeep is was NOT considered. Get the best car you can, love it, and care for it, and essentially "walk away" when you are done, don't expect to make a mint. I bought them because I wanted to drive them, and that has costs associated with it, that's how I look at it.

I've made money selling and buying firearms over the years, seldom do I make anything flipping performance cars no matter how much I fix or baby them.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by teamking

Let's suppose you're 17 and have been working a summer job and have 4 or 5 grand just burning a hole in your pocket. What are you going to buy if you want a sports car? You could get a Civic or a GTI or a Miata, but perhaps none of those appeal to you. What if you could actually afford a... P O R S C H E !!!

You're 17. You don't know what you don't know. Needs a timing belt. No problem, my friend's dad has got a bitchin' set of tools.

And now you're broke 'cause you just spent every last dime on buying the car and the rear hatch is stuck closed and the heater runs full hot whenever it feels like it and the sunroof is stuck and you just blew the speakers and gas is $4 and you gotta pay for 74 in a 55.

^ i feel like ur talking about me and just not saying it directly... except im 27 lol
Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Worse thing ive come across has been the axle bolts put in with an impact and a hex head attachment. Then also the over torqued bolts for pulleys n such. Previous owner or their shop must have loved impact/air tools...

Originally Posted by teamking

Teamking please, dont assume all 17 year olds are that way

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by Edtay
Worse thing ive come across has been the axle bolts put in with an impact and a hex head attachment. Then also the over torqued bolts for pulleys n such. Previous owner or their shop must have loved impact/air tools...

Teamking please, dont assume all 17 year olds are that way
I can imagine that took a LOT to get off
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Edtay
Instructor

I still havent gotten the axles removed. Debating on just cutting the axles tho. The transmission is in a parts car, so I can take this "short cut". The crank pulley wasnt fun, seemed like it was over 150lbs for torque...

I got some good horror stories when it comes to rebuilding a 944
Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ditch68
They do require more care and maintenance than most
Which is why I got one. I love working on this car
Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by ditch68
John is right, these cars just are not for everyone. They do require more care and maintenance than most, and that is reflected in the price - which is low, and makes people dive into 944 ownership and find out later it is over their head.

I just read through the PHX and Tucson craigslist ads for "Porsche 944", which I do every couple days, and I'd say half the cars are going cheap with big problems and neglect and the owner wants to cash out and move on rather than address the issues like clutches and such, or cars that are WAY overpriced, because the owner HAS paid a lot of time and money making or keeping it right, and in his perspective, it is worth that super-premium price that in reality the market saturated with basket cases (or ones on the brink) won't support.

When I bought any of my 944s or 924S (or especially 951) resale value or cost of upkeep is was NOT considered. Get the best car you can, love it, and care for it, and essentially "walk away" when you are done, don't expect to make a mint. I bought them because I wanted to drive them, and that has costs associated with it, that's how I look at it.

I've made money selling and buying firearms over the years, seldom do I make anything flipping performance cars no matter how much I fix or baby them.

Jeff
Yeah I never bought mine for resale value. If I make the choice to get anything it is for the long haul. Investing in it is investing in me and some peace of mind.

Maintenance seems to be only higher in certain places than other cars. But compare getting a used turbo engine and tranny to getting the same on a Honda Prelude(H22){190-200hp} $2100) or even a Honda B16(160hp)$3000) engine.

Some parts are a bit more expensive. If you have tools and a good write up or youtube vid lot of things get cheaper

I was just wondering what stories others have regarding neglect by PO.....I am sure there should be some interesting finds in the cars.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

O_O
Old 10-20-2012, 11:52 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by Edtay
I still havent gotten the axles removed. Debating on just cutting the axles tho. The transmission is in a parts car, so I can take this "short cut". The crank pulley wasnt fun, seemed like it was over 150lbs for torque...

I got some good horror stories when it comes to rebuilding a 944
Yikes
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
Which is why I got one. I love working on this car
Not why I got one at all but I do not mind working on it at all....do LOVE to fix however lmao. Any interesting things to fix when you got yours?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing super interesting. Just general maintenance items and a small patch of rust in front of the right real wheel. One thing I wasn't happy about when I got the car was the ruined third gear synchronizer. It was kind of suspicious how the guy I bought it from wouldn't let me drive it and how he was double clutching before he shifted into third. I figured he wouldn't let me drive it because I was a 19 year old kid and he assumed that I didn't know how to drive a stick. I didn't bug him about it because I figured I'd have lots of time to drive it when I got it home. It would have been really nice if he had given me a heads up about third gear

On the plus side I found about 10 bucks in change and an unopened bottle of Mikes hard lemonade under the seat

Quick Reply: 944 Neglect stories