Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber bumper guard bolts rusted out... ideas on another way to attach them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Rubber bumper guard bolts rusted out... ideas on another way to attach them?

All 4 of the rubber bumper guards on my 924S are coming away from the bumper because of the metal plate molded into the rubber is rusting away. There has got to be a way to reattach them since the rubber is still in good shape. The easiest way would be to drill holes through the rubber to line up with the mounting holes in the bumper. Painted black they would be almost invisible. Only problem is that they might damage anything that ran into them. Maybe recess them a quarter of an inch, if I could drill a clean hole in the rubber... not sure about that.
Any ideas appreciated.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Trust me it's much, much easier to find someone selling a set in good condition. I went through this twice with 944's and there's really not a good way to repair them. I don't think I ever paid more than $10/each; compare that to the time and frustration trying to repair one. Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Depending on how rusted the metal plate is, you may be able to drill another hole in it near where the stud was. I did that and ran a 1/4" wood screw with a hex head into the rubber. I'm not sure if it held more into the metal or the rubber, but it was solid.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Depending on how rusted the metal plate is, you may be able to drill another hole in it near where the stud was. I did that and ran a 1/4" wood screw with a hex head into the rubber. I'm not sure if it held more into the metal or the rubber, but it was solid.
I have the 2 fronts off and on each of them on one side all the metal fell out as various sized pieces of rust. I will try your idea and will see if the rubber will hold.

Since I have no budget left 8 wood screws sounds better than even 40$ for replacements. If it doesn't work... hopefully there will be something in the budget sometime in the future...

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I pulled the old bolts out and replaced them with a kit from the local auto parts store. They weren't expensive. I J welded them into place.

The best part? They're still on!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kurt R
3 of the 4 mounting points on my front pieces have no metal left... and I can now clairify that the 1/4 inch screws don't hold in the rubber! But that got me thinking and I tried these gyproc anchors...

... and they do hold in rubber. The fourth mount point where there is still metal is attached with a 1/4 in screw as suggested by Kurt R.
I'll see how this works out over time... but it is solid enough to get though my upcoming inspection.

Last edited by elgy; 12-03-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried repairing mine and didn't like the fit. The rusted metal had expanded and caused them to not sit flush. After an evening or two of wasted time I shopped for like new replacements.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:51 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I tried repairing mine and didn't like the fit. The rusted metal had expanded and caused them to not sit flush. After an evening or two of wasted time I shopped for like new replacements.
Ya, once the metal starts to rust you have to get it out... which is not too hard.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:51 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'm thinking you can clean alll the rust away and replace withepocy resin.

i know of 2 products that are extremely strong.

1. Solarez epoxy.

http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/UVepoxy.html

http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/epopint.html

http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/epopint.html

2. Devcon plastic welder.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/143...FcxcMgoddnMAFg

spread a this stuff over a large enough area for supporting a long nut.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/long-hex-nut.html

Quick Reply: Rubber bumper guard bolts rusted out... ideas on another way to attach them?