Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear axle questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 AM
dgwinup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axle questions

The car: '84 944 na 5 speed manual
the problem: 'clunking' noise from the rear (seems to be right rear) that gets faster with speed

I've searched around and the axle may be the culprit. Jacked the rear up on stands, ran the car in gear and watched the axles. From outside at the rear, I couldn't hear any clunking noise and saw no deflections in the axles. No wobble either. Neither boot looked torn or displaced. Nephew was in the car and said he still heard the noise.

While searching, including Clark's Garage, I found most references indicated that the outer axle shaft needs to be removed along with the axle. One reference just said to unbolt both CV joints at either end of the axle and remove the axle.

the questions: Can the axle be removed by simple unbolting both ends? Is there a compelling reason to remove the outer axle from the carrier bearings?

This noise just started recently when we took the car out for coffee one morning. (It likes dark roast - yum!) Hadn't heard anything like it before and we haven't done anything under the car at the rear. Do CV joints just go bad all of a sudden or is there something else I should be looking at?

Appreciate the responses. I'd rather not dis-assemble the whole rear end if all I need to do is remove the axle. If the axle is even the problem!

Darrell
Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The axle can be unbolted at the transaxle CV joint and the CV joint by the axle hub.

Mark the axle(s) inner-outer and R & L before you remove.

Get a professional set of 12 point hex---not a cheap FLAPS Leslie set--they will strip.
The bolts can be reused if torqued correctly.

Repack the CV joints with CV grease not a cheap substitute.

Replace the axle on the same side -----but reverse the installation---the right CV goes to the left and left CV goes to the right.
Why?

The new position will create a new path on the CV joints for the ball bearings and may solve the "clunking".

If the noise continues, you need replace the rear wheel bearings.

GL
John
Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, the half-shaft (axle) can be removed by first removing the CV joint bolts on both ends. You'll find that pulling the inner CV off the stub axle, then lifting it up and forward will let you pull the outer CV out of the control arm.

There are a lot of great how-to's on the web, like Clark's Garage, that will coach you on tear down and inspection of the CVs. Typically the two things you're looking for are substantial grooves in the outer and inner races where the ***** ride, and discoloration of the *****.

For clunking, also make sure that everything is properly fastened, including for example the bolts on the rear shocks. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM
dgwinup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to be dredging this one up again.

I've been researching used axle half shafts and I'm getting conflicting information. In some places, I learn that all 944 axles were the same (and 924's too). Other places I learn that some axles only fit certain model years. Which do I believe?

I don't have a problem buying used and rebuilding if necessary. I'd just like to know what axles I can use. Ultimately, I'll probably end up removing and rebuilding the ones on the car, so this question could be moot. However, I like to keep my options open.

Thanks for the help, guys! Sometimes it's like wandering in a dense forest without a compass..........

Darrell
Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I check with www.clarks-garage.com.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-01.htm

Some members buy the rebuilds from AutoZone.

John

Quick Reply: rear axle questions