Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead on the side of the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 AM
bill.holleman1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead on the side of the road

I have owned my 944 n/a for almost 11 years now. When I first bought the car I was soon stranded on the road with a dead vehicle, new to the 944 scene I had it towed to the shop and they replaced the DME relay. I soon found Rennlist and learned how common this was and the advice was to keep a spare in my glove box.

So I bought one and there it sat for 11 years until last week i found myself once again in a similar situation. I was working and driving from one office to another this was a serious inconvenience until I remebered the relay in my box, I pulled it out, opened the hood, replaced the relay and wa la the car started right up and off I went.

I couldnt stop grinning the rest of the day thinking about how I just avoided wasting my whole day on the side of the road, thanks to Rennlist, love this site!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Good stuff.

Never leave home with out it. DME and RL that is if you own a P car.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 AM
kens_74911s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME

What are the common symptoms of bad DME other than not starting ? I Does it work with the pulse sensor (s) to pull in ignition and also pull in the fuel pump relay? Just got a 85.5 NA from a guy that claimed he tried everything to get the car started and gave up. I was going to part it , but if he comes through with a clear title may try and spend a day seeing if I can get it started.
Loose in the car is a spare fuse box and relays , several pulse sensors. He claimed he swapped the DME and still couldn’t get spark. I did have him crank it before I bought it just to make sure it was not locked up but didn’t do anything else to it yet. I guess the only reason I considered getting it running is that the body looks to be in decent shape Its guards red and looked somewhat orange and dried out. Some wet sanding in a few test spot locations and its amazing that the red really brightened up and original color came right back.

Quick Reply: Dead on the side of the road