Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experiences with a ford MAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012 | 11:06 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Default My experiences with a ford MAF

I read a few things about the ford contour maf so I decided to give it a try. Results were better than I expected honestly. With a little tweaking(thanks to rouge's xdf) I believe I can make this work pretty well.

The video says most of it:

I hope I don't anger any of the vendors on here as I do appreciate all of the aftermarket support there is for these old cars, but I can't justify the expense of a true MAF kit on this car, and I love to tinker
Old 09-11-2012 | 11:38 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Any changes in feel of the car? Acceleration? Pull? Gas mileage?
Old 09-12-2012 | 01:00 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

I fixed my odometer same day, so I'll only be able to see after gas milage haha. There is a bog below 3000 rpms during WOT, but after that it pulls a lot harder
Old 09-12-2012 | 01:25 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Interesting. Is this on a n/a or Turbo?
Old 09-12-2012 | 07:13 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Nothing wrong with "tinkering" I too like to tinker, though I've been experimenting with my afm. I took a shot glass worth of aluminum out of it by smoothing the restrictions and casting marks, as well as matched the inlet and outlet ports to reduce turbulance. Works great so far. I'm about to do it again on my dd, though I will still likely tryout a custom maf when it is available for the n/a. My cost so far...a couple of dremel bits, and an hour of my time.

Keep going with it, and keep us posted!
Old 09-12-2012 | 06:28 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

This car is an n/a, did you watch the video? Haha.

ZR8ED - I guess you didn't take away any material around where the flapper door goes? Learning to "port" things without messing them up is something I'd like to be able to do, but I've heard if you don't know what you're doing you'll end up doing more harm than good.

For now I've zero'd out the air temp fuel compensation with my ostrich, but I may add an IAT sensor if I can find one cheap enough. I'm guessing that is whats causing my poor throttle response before the car is warmed up. Once the car is warm it feels almost normal.

Also, my first tank of fuel with the MAF came out to 24.2 mpgs, which is pretty impressive considering the way I drive

More scientific observations to come!
Old 09-13-2012 | 07:24 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dirtyTurbo
ZR8ED - I guess you didn't take away any material around where the flapper door goes? Learning to "port" things without messing them up is something I'd like to be able to do, but I've heard if you don't know what you're doing you'll end up doing more harm than good.
You are correct. I have left the flapper door operating the same. There is plenty of restriction before and after the flapper, even though it is its own restriction. As for knowing what I'm doing? I have adequate knowledge for what I am doing. The key to doing this type of work on your own, is to not do it on your own. I have a long time friend who has been doing this type of work for 30yrs, and who I consult with before attempting these types of projects, and has taught me all kinds of tips/tricks. The mod itself is pretty simple really if you have some skill with a die grinder.

Cheers!
Old 09-28-2012 | 01:56 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

I put my AFM back

In conclusion: There was a little gain up top, or it was just nosier, but it wasn't worth the driveability problems for a DD. Anything over half throttle below 3000 rpms would make the car stumble, and I had to drag the clutch a little more to get going without bogging down. On the track I would use the MAF because the rpms are always higher and throttle respone was not an issue after the car had been running for a few minutes.
Old 09-28-2012 | 04:20 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

I put my AFM back

In conclusion: There was a little gain up top, or it was just nosier, but it wasn't worth the driveability problems for a DD. Anything over half throttle below 3000 rpms would make the car stumble, and I had to drag the clutch a little more to get going without bogging down. On the track I would use the MAF because the rpms are always higher and throttle respone was not an issue after the car had been running for a few minutes.
Gla to see you at least followed up with an update.
Old 09-28-2012 | 10:18 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Yeah, I haven't seen too many people on here who've actually done this and posted results.

I'm sure if I got a wideband and spent some time tuning it I could make it perfect, but quite frankly I just don't like this car that much

EDIT: Just to be sure we're clear this is on my 84 n/a. My username and avatar might suggest otherwise
Old 09-28-2012 | 10:24 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Yeah, I haven't seen too many people on here who've actually done this and posted results.

I'm sure if I got a wideband and spent some time tuning it I could make it perfect, but quite frankly I just don't like this car that much

EDIT: Just to be sure we're clear this is on my 84 n/a. My username and avatar might suggest otherwise
I am sure you have seen the N-tune thread?

Working on my Turbo and N/a at the same time right now most of my Turbo stuff is in but idk something about the N/a and performance or improvements excites me a lot more.
Old 11-30-2012 | 04:11 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
I am sure you have seen the N-tune thread?

Working on my Turbo and N/a at the same time right now most of my Turbo stuff is in but idk something about the N/a and performance or improvements excites me a lot more.
Yes I know all about rouge haha, if I had more money or less cars I'd be all over his products. And I know what you mean about these cars, I usually make sure to have at least one going at a time haha

Also the MAF is back in, I've got most of the kinks worked out using tunerpro, which I talk about a little here:
http://dirtyturbo.blogspot.com/2012/...onversion.html

Quick Reply: My experiences with a ford MAF