Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do over a Canadian winter - S2 3L swap in early 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 07:39 AM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi everyone,

Few people ever do a long term follow-up on major projects here, so I thought I would. If you read the above, you'll see I started out to do a 3.0L swap, but cylinder problems stopped that dead in it's tracks. I built a LS1/LS6 for the car in the summer of 2014. It was in and running, but far from being finished when I put it to bed for 3 years while I lived and worked in Italy. I returned 2 years ago, and immediately went to work to finish the car. HaHa, if they're ever really finished! This spring, it hit the road in full force. And I do mean "full force"! It is a blast to drive. It weights 1230kgs, with 54% on the rear (not a typo). It drives and handles just like a well sorted 944, but pulls like crazy! I have run it with both a 951 and S2 transaxles, the 951 box being the more responsible choice. The S2 box sure is fun around town though! The car is in hibernation now for the winter, having run 12,000 kms and one track day this summer. Ya, I drive it a lot! And sometimes hard!! I had 2 "failures" over the course of the summer, but neither prevented me from making it home. A motor mount bolt broke (common issue, but I've fixed the issue) and a GM coil pack failed. Yep, I had a motor problem!! I "limped" home on 7 cylinders, but it's a easy fix, and common.
Have I ever regretted what I've done??......no, not ever. The secret to these swaps is to do it right, or leave it alone. If saving money is a priority, then you'll likely regret what you've done to your car.
Even the un-expected happened......We have a "Porsches on the lawn" meet once a month at a local 50's style restaurant in Halifax. Earlier this summer, I shined the old girl up and went......knowing no one! When I pulled in, there was a parking spot beside a 356.......I thought, hell no, I CAN'T park beside that., my car will spontaneously combust......so I rumbled by and parked in another spot. Well, MUCH to my surprise, it was a HUGE hit! The vast majority had nothing but good to say. I have been made feel very welcome, and have been back several times. It always draws a crowd.
That's all I got! Hope everyone enjoys the update.

Gord.

Last edited by murrayg; 12-01-2019 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
doolittle (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:04 AM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats on sticking with it over the long term (albeit with a little change of direction). Looks like a beautiful car! Is your front bumper a euro version or tucked with pads removed? Very tidy. Do you have interior and engine bay photos?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:27 PM
murrayg
Instructor

Hi 968to986,
The front bumper is the North American bumper with the pads remover, and mounting holes filled. It also recessed back, but not in the normal way. Normally, a hole is drilled in the bumper shock and the oil drained. Then it is compressed and ... presto!, the bumper is recessed! I didn't like the sound of that, and having the frame bend in a parking lot accident didn't sound right. So, I changed the mounting of the bumper shock to allow it to be unmodified and still recess the bumper. Now a parking lot accident will result in bent fenders, but the bumper will do it's job and save the car.
OK, more pictures.......please keep in mind this car is driven, a lot.......and some times in the rain! It'll get torn apart this winter and cleaned up, but it's hard to keep it clean when daily driven. But that's OK, it's not a show car.

Looks like it belongs

BMW HB seen in this picture

Staying safe

Cockpit....pretty standard. Engine gauges in the center console, and GPS speedometer.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:38 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Nice seats..are they Porsche or a different brand?
Old 12-04-2019, 06:00 AM
murrayg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Nice seats..are they Porsche or a different brand?
Seats are Sparco R100. They are OKish .....I wanted Recaro PP, but they are $$$$$! The car came with leather non-sport seats and it was a handful to stay in them on the track.

Quick Reply: What to do over a Canadian winter - S2 3L swap in early 944