Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 PM
NaviRyan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange clutch issue

So as I was driving the other day, I pulled out from a stop light and I lost power to the wheels. If you put the car in gear it goes nowhere, it's acting as if the clutch were engaged (pedal to the floor) at all times. Also there is some rattling coming from the clutch housing. Please tell me I don't need to replace my clutch and it's something easy! Help!
I tried to start it in gear, the car lurched forward and then started up. Like it caught for a second and then gave way again. Maybe something is just loose? I hadn't had any indication the clutch was going to go out, it just stopped working. Any theories? Anybody had the same problem?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:09 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be several things. Worst could be the rubber center on the clutch but you would still be able to move the car. Did it happen between shifts? The shift linkage should be checked.. Maybe it came apart as you were between 1st and 2nd and therefore is not in any gear.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm surprised you haven't described any noises. A dropped CV /halfshaft would most likely drag on the ground or flail away at other pieces when pushed/towed; a stripped coupler would make some bad noises; etc. Have you gone under the car?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can shear the CV bolts and the half shaft won't necessarily drop down, especially the outside CV's. Happened to me once at the track. I thought I blew the trans until I got home and took a good look.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like the rubber center clutch failed. Jack the rear up, pull the large plastic cover at the front of the trans where the coupler is. With the clutch disengaged and car in neutral try to turn the coupler- if you can, the clutch is broken. You shouldnt be able to unless the clutch is in.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

First thing to check is CV joints because it's really easy. Grab a half shaft and try to "stir" the joint. It should be pretty obvious if it's gone. In/out play is ok, but not up/down etc.. If your axles are ok, and you are on the original rubber centered clutch, it probably popped. If the clutch is gone, it would probably make noise in neutral whereas CV joint would make noise when trying to drive the wheels.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the start up test you did is consistent with a broken CV since you did get an instant of power transmission until the differential sent all the power to the broken side. Unless you have LSD, of course.

If it were the rubber clutch center, I would think you would have seen some signs ('clang' when you put it in gear or shift, or come off throttle, excessive play in the drive line...).

I suppose the other bad thing that might be it is the ring and pinion, but I am not too familiar with that failure.

Quick Reply: Strange clutch issue