Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment/Ball joint questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM
hopps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment/Ball joint questions

So I have a two part question. First part:

I took my car to Firestone because I have a life time alignment. I started feeling weird vibrations in the steering wheel and a faint noise whenever I would be A.) Driving about 40mph and B.) Turn the wheel in any way towards the right (slight turn or big turn). I had a hunch it was a ball joint issue, and I assumed as a part of aligning the car, Firestone would check ball joints. I was hoping for a call saying "We can't align the car because your ball joints are bad." Didn't happen.

I have attached a picture of a paper they gave me. It reads "current measurements" and at the bottom recommends adjusting my rear toe and caster. So I assume these measurements are what the car was like before I came in, but does anyone know how to tell if they did anything?

Second question: What are typical symptoms of a bad ball joint? I installed the rennbay track ball joint kit 2-3 years ago ('09 or '10). After running on Talladega this summer, the car started having the weird vibration and noise turning right. I assume it's the ball joint, because I ran into slower traffic on the 33 degree banking (almost vertical) and had to fight to keep the car from sliding off the turns.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:55 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your alignment is off in the rear. I doubt the folks at the local Firestone will want to touch the rear setup on a 944. Take it to a Porsche type repair shop. You should also check your front bearings for play and adjust as needed.

Quick Reply: Alignment/Ball joint questions