Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM
superjario18
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start issue.

Hello All,

1983 N/A 944

So Every morning, and every day I leave work to head home for the past week or two is how long this issue has been happening.

When I start the car - it starts up quickly and with out hesitations but it drops really low on RPMs (to about 400 or so) and will stall out shortly after that. If I apply some throttle it bogs down for a second then shoots up to 1k or 2k rpms depending on how far I pressed the pedal. After around 30 seconds of keeping the rpms high I don't have to worry about it stalling but it does idle very rough and hovers around 750 rpms.

I read a thread about a cold start problem with 3 post switch or something for cold starts (possibly cold start valve?). But I don't really know where he was referring to.

I added some fuel system cleaner (Techron) thinking it might have been some gunk in the injectors, but still nothing on that.

Any suggestions on things I should check? and maybe some instructions on how to find the thing I am looking for? (don't have a hanes or anything yet)

Thanks,
Noob to P cars.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are referring to the DME temp sensor. Here is the information from the troubleshooting section of Clarks-Garage.com

"On startup when the engine is cold, the DME temperature sensor tells the DME computer that the engine (coolant) is cold. This causes the DME computer to supply a much richer mixture to the engine (a hot engine atomizes fuel better). When the DME temperature starts to fail, it normally sends a higher than normal temperature signal to the DME computer. The DME computer in turn supplies a leaner mixture to the engine than that which is normally required. So, the engine runs rough (lean) and if it gets bad enough, may not run at all.

Check the cold resistance of the DME temperature sensor "

The DME Temp Sensor is forward on your engine.

Quick Reply: Cold start issue.