Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kickback on startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:04 PM
pa951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kickback on startup

I'm allmost out of options and not far from disliking my 951...

Just about one out of four times i start the car i get à kickback to THE starter. System gets à peak at THE ref sensor

Here's what i have done sofar;

Changed wiringloom from dme/klr Changed dme and klr, Changed rotor and sparkplugs, Changed sensors, Changed sensorholder and still no cure..

My second starter just got blown apart because of THE backslash.

We found out that when backfire happens the ref sensor gets à peak current. Only on startup.

Extra ground does not work, help.....

Changed allmost everything i can think of without THE desired normal start.

Before i get rid of THE dme by using a stand alone computer did i miss anything?

Alternator of any influance?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

are you saying theres a current surge in the starter after startup?

the alternator wiring runs through the starter to the battery. maybe something is screwy with alternator?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:29 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't know what MY you have but the 87 models suffered from this until the factory issued a service bulletin. Other models also had these issues if they notched the clutch housing without fitting a shield in place like 88+ models have.

Basically if your clutch housing is notched where the sensors mount and you dont have shields fitted to your sensors you will get:

1. Laboured starting.
2. Backlash when it does start.

Haven't heard of it being as bad as yours but it's worth checking before doing anything else:

Factory Service Bulletin.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 AM
pa951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the updated sensorbracket. My 86.

The current surge is during starting. On the ref sensor. Then the starter gets blocked. That makes the noise. Alternator is old. Did change the old wiring.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you verified that the reference mark is in the correct position..?
I would also put a timing-light on, and verify that ignition timing isn't overly advanced (indicative of an incorrect reference mark).
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We found out that when backfire happens the ref sensor gets à peak current. Only on startup.
Extra ground does not work, help.....
You're on the right track. Somehow you're losing or do not have a ground on the shield for the ref sensor. The small body starter is inducing the spike, which the DME interprets as a signal to trigger the spark. Are your heat shields in place, they might help some. Before you give up, you might try a big body (standard 944) starter. The heat shields won't fit but the big starter doesn't create as much magnetic field as the small body. Another weak possibility is the routing of the battery cable.
I've seen this problem twice and both were found due to an aging connector at the harness to sensor. Suggest you gently probe through the sensors cable covering to get a ground continuity check of the shield. Once you have contact, flex the cable and confirm that the ground is not being lost....Good luck, Bruce

Quick Reply: Kickback on startup