Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car gets pulled around a lot by the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

Directional tires are not actually bad, it's just our cars don't get along with them too well. Reasons:
1. Our cars use small wheels (15in/16in) and they tend to exaggerate the tendency of directional wheels to tramline.
2. If we fit bigger wheels (17in/18in) and wider tires, chances are we are running higher camber and castor and this alignment has an exaggerated effect on tramlining with directional tires.
3. Finally, some of our cars ran staggered wheels, Fuchs for example. This also produces an exagerated tramlining effect with directional tires.

Solution:
1. Run asymmetrical non-directional tires. You get good corner grip and stable wet or dry straight ahead stability.
a. Run a square asymmetrical set-up if you still want the ability to rotate your tires R-L F-R.
b.Run a staggered set-up with asymmetrical tires if you just want R-L rotation on each axle.

Hope that helps, GL
Thanks that's a big help right there. My tires still have some life left in them so I'll see how the alignment works out first. If it's still bad after that I might go ahead and change the tires anyway.

Quick Reply: car gets pulled around a lot by the road