Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Pferrf1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE Car Advice

Looking to pick up a 944 as a track car for DE events.

Looking for thoughts on car choice. i.e. NA vs Turbo, S vs. S2.

Thoughts?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on your budget, experience, and goals...

I have done a number of track events in my 924S. It's still basically a street car, but I have found it a great platform for learning how to drive on a racetrack because it is predictable and forgiving of mistakes. I am learning a lot about how to carry momentum through a corner, so I'm having a lot of fun (even though my straight line acceleration is not as strong as more modern cars).

A lot of people get 944 turbos or 944 S2's, and those make good track cars too (although the turbo tends to have higher maintenance). They have the similar handling characteristics as the N/A cars, but more power.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were given a choice, I'd run a S2 personally.

This is just because I don't particularly enjoy driving turbos.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd vote NA for a few reasons - because it'll be cheaper to run; it will be cheaper to buy (in case you change your mind); it will teach you fantastic skills about being a momentum driver; there's a pretty healthy group of 944 racers in the area that can help you out and/or be you support group if you get into racing.

I know of a white NA that's well set up. Stock suspension and brakes, but with a rebuilt engine, roll cage, seats, and fully gutted.

A friend of mine, with a 996 twin turbo, scared himself at the track the first time he took it to the track. So we went out and immediately bought the NA 944. That was about 3 or 4 years ago. Now he's an intermediate/advanced driver and driving the 996 a bit; and driving the 944 less - so I think he's ready to pass it along to another track beginner.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

As much a fan of turbo cars and love the 951, I would suggest an n/a either 2.5L or S2 (968 if you can afford it) as a road/DE car. Van's right about costs. The turbo produces a lot of heat which increases propensity for failure of other key parts. If you've got the money and can put together a nicely modified turbo you will have the ability to chase down and embarrass some really expensive late model machinery. The addiction of forced induction is not one to be toyed with though. It will make you do silly things...it shows no mercy!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:01 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
As much a fan of turbo cars and love the 951, I would suggest an n/a either 2.5L or S2 (968 if you can afford it) as a road/DE car. Van's right about costs. The turbo produces a lot of heat which increases propensity for failure of other key parts. If you've got the money and can put together a nicely modified turbo you will have the ability to chase down and embarrass some really expensive late model machinery. The addiction of forced induction is not one to be toyed with though. It will make you do silly things...it shows no mercy!

I was initially looking to do a DE (and then Spec) car as well before I got my 951 last year (flash forward- it has yet to see a track), and was encouraged by others to 'join the working poor' and run a NA 944 in NASA 944-Spec. As in it was actually reasonably affordable. The NA cars, including the S2, are not quite as capable as the 951, but are a little more suited for DE on the order of more than one outing before having to place expensive parts orders, or worse. Uptime for Turbos can be equal to the NAs, but take more coin to get there.

Ultimately, I decided I had to have the Turbo regardless (with much of the reason being what Patrick said at the end there!), even if that meant fewer plans for track days. It's been very reliable as a not-quite-daily-but-very-active commuter for me, though if I'm honest, it's because I'm always servicing it (myself). My 951 is continuously sipping on my bank account for the averaged cost of a leased Accord. Some months I may get away with skipping a payment or two, then it catches up the next month, then normalizes again...

EDIT: I should note that in the almost-year that I've had the car now, after it's previous life of sitting in a storage unit and only seeing 1k miles annually, that I pretty much have the thing sorted as a daily driver and the repair cost average is starting to taper.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 08-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you can probably think of it like this:

924S, 944 25.L NA =

Light, simple, reliable. As said, definately a momentum car...not very fast on a straight but done properly....very fast in the corners. No real opportunities for large Hp gains. Exhaust, chip, etc might gain you 15hp....a great, great learning vehicle....if you can be fast in one of these you will excel in a faster, equally balanced car.

S2 / 968 =

a bit heavier than the cars above. but a 3.0L motor (rock-solid one to boot!) around 208hp instead of 150hp...so they feel way more powerful...and in that sense...more forgiving regarding what gear you need to be in. Has all the great aspects of the cars above with a bit more power. In the case of the 968 add vario-cam for deeper breathing, a trans that is easier to change the clutch on and a few other things. Both of these cars also have bigger brakes than the NA cars above.

951 (944T) =

All the good stuff of the NA cars with upgraded susspension & brakes...and around 220hp from the Turbo Motor. These can be moded fairly easily to give you in the 300hp range (bigger turbo, MAF, chip, fuel management, etc).
Can give you the best of all worlds (handling, light, high hp) but will require investment and they are less reliable (any turbo car) than an NA. I have been on track (as a passenger) in some VERY FAST turbo cars...it's definately a thrill-ride !

Obviously, I am partial to the S2 (and 968 too).....I think it is a nice blend of enough hp...and all the other things...and I really love the 3 liter motor. My car is a blast on the track !

PS - Mike and I have been at numerous events together and he often passes me.....proving that while I have more Hp....it's all about the driver....he's good!!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:45 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Joe says, I think that an S2 is probably the best bet for the most people as a track car.

I ran a turbo for three years with zero reliability issues, but that's primarily because it was a great example. That said, it was hard to drive very fast because the boost came on pretty suddenly, and it was easy to have that unsettle the rear on all but the driest and hottest of tracks.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Pferrf1
Advanced

Thanks for all the input guys. I had been thinking Turbo but people's rationale on the NA side seem sound. Not so worried about it as a daily driver but thinking more strictly track use. I was able to pick up a '06 997 C2S earlier this year and I'm not sure I want to thrash it about on the track or at autocross just yet.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pferrf1
Thanks for all the input guys. I had been thinking Turbo but people's rationale on the NA side seem sound. Not so worried about it as a daily driver but thinking more strictly track use. I was able to pick up a '06 997 C2S earlier this year and I'm not sure I want to thrash it about on the track or at autocross just yet.
There are some great cars listed on Kijiji locally to Toronto. Some even track prepared! I also agree on the nudge towards the N/A cars. I too am looking, while I wait for my convertable to sell. I am leaning towards an S or S2, but a nice clean 8 valve n/a can be had for several thousand less than an equivilant S2.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
ditch68
Racer

+1 on the N/A. That's my plan, I have my 951 for the street, and want to eventually get a dedicated DE car that is stripped, cheaper, etc. The turbo would not help me learn to drive faster, just get me into trouble on a track at 9/10ths at this point in my experience level climb.

Ideally I want to find a 944-spec or Cup car, but I may just pick up a super cheap street car from Craigslist or something and tear it down myself. I just want a full cage, fire suppression, all the race safety stuff for peace of mind. My wife is dubious enough about my safety on a race track, I want her to feel as comfortable with the prospect as possible, too. And my budget is tight at this point.

The car doesn't have to be a rocket to feel like I am in one on a track!

Jeff
Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk

Obviously, I am partial to the S2 (and 968 too).....I think it is a nice blend of enough hp...and all the other things...and I really love the 3 liter motor. My car is a blast on the track !

PS - Mike and I have been at numerous events together and he often passes me.....proving that while I have more Hp....it's all about the driver....he's good!!
Thanks Joe!

Sorry that we missed each other at the track this summer...hopefully I should have my car back soon, and I'm looking forward to doing some more DE events either this fall or next spring.

Quick Reply: DE Car Advice