Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cleaner?

Quick question Rennlist, what products do you guys use for cleaning engines? I ask due to the aluminum and dont want to harm it.

Thanks,
Edtay
Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends how bad it is; usually i used diluted Simple Green (50/50 with water) with a tooth brush and brillo pad, then rinse off with low pressure water. If its really bad ill use brake cleaner....if its really really bad ill use the engine degreaser in the spray cans (Engine Brite)... only my Jeep was ever that bad though .

I am very **** about having a clean engine so i spent a fair amount of time scrubbing the hell out of everything when i rebuilt my engine.

This will give you an idea how it looked before.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 PM
ditch68
Racer

DO NOT EVER use Simple Green on anything aluminum!. EVER. Especially in the engine compartment.

I am an aircraft mechanic, and we have a couple technical "safety of flight" bulletins through the Army system stating unequivocally to immediately stop this practice.

It chemically attacks aluminum and brittles it, making it more susceptible to cracking. It can lead to catastrophic failures.

I know, it sounds like BS, but it is absolutely not a good thing to do.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Thats why I ask, I was hearing the same thing and didnt want to mess up my new motor down the road. A worker at a local auto parts store mentioned Foamy Engine Cleaner from Gunk. He uses it on a mag/aluminum motor on a motorcycle and doesn't have any issues due to it.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I would'nt know, but this stuff seems promising...

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-engine-degreaser.html
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Edtay
Instructor

"Note: If you have bright polished aluminum under the hood, take care not to leave Detailer’s Pro Series Engine Degreaser on the aluminum for more than a few seconds as it may spot."

Kinda sounds like it will do the same thing though. ATV forums have been talking abt Eagle One Aluminum Wheel cleaner for their motors. They have good results with it but it will leave a small amount of chalky white film (aka damage to the aluminum) unless washed thoroughly with soap and water afterwards...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 PM
ditch68
Racer

That's the thing - that stuff actually etches aluminum to get that bright clean-looking finish. It is deliberately extremely corrosive.

Think about this - use it once, rinse, etc., maybe you get it all off afterward, maybe not.... Use it 10 times, and the same nooks and crannies get residue that stays and collects, just eating away 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, never sleeping. Which corrosion does not.

Now, I am not saying your engine block is going to shatter the day after you use it or anything, of course. But over time, it is damaging, period.

Of course, the Simple Green people will say, "no problem, it is safe to use, just rinse it thouroughly", but the fact is you never really will get it all. Bracketry, sheet aluminum pieces, hardware and the like are in more danger of course.

I am actually the corrosion control NCO for my unit, and I also work full time on AH-64D Apaches every day. I have been to corrosion control training at Redstone Arsenal, and I can tell you that corrosion on aircraft is no joke. It is a constant battle. Aircraft have crashed because of it, and had other catastrophic failures. An as far as I am concerned, it is also not for me if I am going to be driving my 944 under stresses on a track over 100mph.

In the case of Simple Green, no organization I know of condones its use on aircraft anymore, because it has been flat out proven it is damaging. Not up for debate, it is a safety issue on aircraft. Good enough for me. YMMV.

The answer is elbow grease, and petroleum based products that may even provide a corrosion prevention as a side effect of their use, and also corrosion protection products, etc.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. I always rinse thoroughly with water after using any cleaner, but would prefer not to worry about potential damage.

FAQ from Simple Green

Simple Green’s solution Simple Green’s solution
Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 AM
ditch68
Racer

You bet. You posted good links, which really do just say what I was trying to convey.

We use a bulk aircraft soap for washing aircraft specifically because it is made to be safe for the materials in question.

Maybe I should write up a post as a "corrosion primer" to cover some basic facts and techniques about/against corrosion if there is any interest.

Understanding the basic concepts about what corrosion is and how to fight is valuable knowledge for people like us with 20+ year old cars. Witness the "Holy floorboards, Batman!" thread from a couple days ago.

Technoduck, your engine looks awesome! I wish mine looked like that. Just avoid that Simple Green on there!

Jeff
Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Excelerate
Instructor

Steam cleaning seems to get a good result, but I don't know what they use for a solvent. Check with your local detailing service
Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Edtay
Instructor

The motor is out of the car so im not sure how id get it to em... Id be interested in this write up plus would be helpful later on for others.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Steam cleaning seems to get a good result, but I don't know what they use for a solvent. Check with your local detailing service
*eyes new Wagner steam cleaner canister that was just used on his tile floors*

Old 08-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

I was told the cosmoline on the components was put there by Porsche for a reason (limit corrosion) and, even though it collects a bit of dirt, that its not a good idea to scrub it off.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ditch68
I am actually the corrosion control NCO for my unit, and I also work full time on AH-64D Apaches every day.

Jeff
Great machines my father's been working with them for many years.

Edit: just realized you guys might work at the same plant!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:47 AM
Edtay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shtootgart
I was told the cosmoline on the components was put there by Porsche for a reason (limit corrosion) and, even though it collects a bit of dirt, that its not a good idea to scrub it off.
So then wax the surface afterwards? Wouldnt that provide the same protection?

Quick Reply: Engine Cleaner?