Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I test drove the FR-S on a closed Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012 | 02:10 PM
Medski
Instructor

Default So I test drove the FR-S on a closed Circuit

Had an oportunity to try one on an auto cross course. What a fun little car. It's light, very tossable, its got a LSD on it even in the most basic trim. Its a bit low on power, but he power it has is very usable. It's a great autocross machine and a great beginner's car for DE / lapping track days as it inspire confidence and quite forgiving on driver's mistake.

Coming out of the car I was smiling like a little girl who's just been given a pink, glittering, poney ride across a rainbow full of stars, while eating an icecream cone that is "unicorn teardrops of joy" flavored.

If they come out with a Turbo version in 2 years it's going to be incredible.

The main issue is the price. Don't get me wrong, all that it is for $25k is great. It's just that you can get quite a machine for $25k... It definatly belongs in the what if there was a 2012 944 thread, though.
Old 07-30-2012 | 02:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

this may be the best thing i've read this year. im stealing this.

Coming out of the car I was smiling like a little girl who's just been given a pink, glittering, poney ride across a rainbow full of stars, while eating an icecream cone that is "unicorn teardrops of joy" flavored.
Old 07-30-2012 | 02:28 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

i dont understand why people make a big deal about this car. you dont hear anything about the 370z and its way more of a car then this little guy...
Old 07-30-2012 | 02:32 PM
Medski
Instructor

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
i dont understand why people make a big deal about this car. you dont hear anything about the 370z and its way more of a car then this little guy...
It's new and it's fun, I thought to talk about my experience with it here because of its similarities in feel with the 944.
Old 07-30-2012 | 02:51 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

I personally like the Subaru BRZ more. I think as it matures and has been on the market for awhile it will be a good tuner car.
Old 07-30-2012 | 02:54 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Medski
It's new and it's fun, I thought to talk about my experience with it here because of its similarities in feel with the 944.
i wasnt trying to hate on your thread. just saying everywhere i go all i here is people talking about this car.
Old 07-30-2012 | 03:20 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
The 370z is in a different segment and price range along side many others . The FR-S is an entry lever sports car that's very fun to drive and decently priced ,a car that can put to shame more expensive cars . That's a hard to beat formula and that's why it's so attractive . I would compare it more to the Miata rather than the 944 but that's just because the 944 was pretty expensive in it's day.
Old 07-30-2012 | 03:20 PM
Medski
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dino V
I personally like the Subaru BRZ more. I think as it matures and has been on the market for awhile it will be a good tuner car.
Didn't try the subaru one. But from what I read the FR-S (and the toyota version) are more neutral on the balance and the subaru tends to understeer a bit more. That would make me wanna get the scion version a bit more.. Though Brand reputation would favor Subaru.
Old 07-30-2012 | 03:50 PM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by robstah
The 370z is heavy and big in comparison.

370z: ~3,200 pounds
FR-S: ~2,600 pounds

The FR-S also has a much better center of gravity. It wouldn't take much power to have the FR-S destroy the 370z.
Not true. The FR-S & BR-Z do not have as good of a rear suspension as the 350 & 370Z cars. Infact all it is is Subaru parts bin front & rear suspension, but this is not the reason for my statement.

And yes the marketing goal of this car was to make it easy for aftermarket modifications, and they are extremely plentiful already. People such as HKS/Greddy/AP/Nitron/TRD already have developed parts for this car.
Old 07-30-2012 | 04:34 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Not true? No where did I mention suspension geometry and everything I said is fact. You need to work on your reading comprehension skills.
True you may not have mentioned anything about suspension, but saying with a bit more power it would destroy a 370z is a rather dramatic blanket statement..destroy it in what way? Hp is useless if you can't put it down, or slow down enough for a curve. Braggin rights? I doubt it. $per hp? Probably.

Personally for me, a 370 is a pretty tough contender, and will embarrass a lot of cars out there. Solid racing history too, and commands much more respect than the FS will..Excellent aftermarket support too..Just like the Subies.

But Hey I'm pretty biased when it comes to Z's...I've owned more than 15.
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:33 PM
944CS
Drifting

Not true? No where did I mention suspension geometry and everything I said is fact. You need to work on your reading comprehension skills.
You said it wouldn't take much additional power for the FR-S to "destroy" a 350Z on a road course. That is what I'm saying is not true.

In order to just match a 370Z power to weight, the FR-S will need an additional approximatley 80hp. Even with equal power to weight the 370Z will be faster around all but the tightest of tracks.

I have driven all cars discussed, and have put the FR-S up on the alignment rack to check it out and saw that it ihas the exact same as the suspension on SRRT's Legacy's/Imprezas that I helped make parts for.

The rear geometry is setup not to bite in-experienced drivers. Also this car is catered toward the drift crowd not necessarily the road race crowd, although I wish they gave it a better design, it could have been the new Miata (still could be who knows).
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:55 PM
JnJNY
Advanced

Hi guys. I know I don't post much, but I figured I would chime in...

The FRS/BRZ is a momentum car. The 370Z is more of a sports/GT car. With grippy tires the BRZ has been transformed, at least on an autocross course... The rear on both can be coxed to rotate.

The FRS/BRZ is more a AE86 type of car. Good dynamics with the ability, through modifications. To be a quick little car. That in the right hands can embarass more expensive machinery.

The 370Z is not in the same catagory.
Old 07-30-2012 | 10:36 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

30z is closer to 3500lbs, it's 3733 as a drop top. the 370 isnt the same type of car as the frs/brz, they are driver orientated cars, the 370 is a gt, a 951 with a good suspension setup underneath will leave a 370 behind on a back road.

i lik the frs, but the whole 25g price is bs, all the dealers near me have a 3g marketplace adjustment on em.

other reason it's a good car, find another 200hp coupe with rwd for 25k...the miata is close, expect it's only 170hp and a convertible and weighs a lil more because of that
Old 07-30-2012 | 10:39 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

This is a porsche forum guys. This should be moved to the off topic section...
Old 10-30-2012 | 03:09 PM
Toran
Pro

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
this may be the best thing i've read this year. im stealing this.
Thats a good steal for sure!
I've felt that before but it has been awhile.
I wonder what could do it now

Quick Reply: So I test drove the FR-S on a closed Circuit