Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Outlaw" 944s....where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A convertable done up like a Speedster could be cool. No top, wide bode fenders, half height front wind shield, etc
The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (12-24-2020)
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried pulling some of that rubber foam of the rear hatch area carpet. It is on there. Does someone sell new carpet without that padding and spare wheel hump? Outlaws don't need a spare wheel, just a sub lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xschop
I tried pulling some of that rubber foam of the rear hatch area carpet. It is on there. Does someone sell new carpet without that padding and spare wheel hump? Outlaws don't need a spare wheel, just a sub lol.
I've done custom carpet in many of my Z cars, so that is what I will end up using. Just find your local upholstry shop and see what they have access to. I typically have used stuff with a slightly rubbery backing that allows enough flexibility for the cockpit, yet thin enough to not be "heavy". If you can't hide the edges, it is not that hard to sew some type of seam/covering or simply fold it over itself for a clean edge. I"ve thought about the spare tire cover as well. If I leave the spare in place (car is a toy, and I have CAA so who needs a spare?) I would make a cover for the tire (think of the spare tire covers for externally mounted spare tires on jeeps/vans) then cut the floor carpet to allow a "slot" for the tire to poke through. I may even leave the wells on either side to exposed like a pocket that can easily be used.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Love the style of an outlaw 356 or an R-Gruppe 911. But never seem to see they same kind of style and ingenuity in cars like the 944, even though it could be an idea platform for it.

Where are all the cars that are NOT track cars, Not full luxury factory street cars , but somewhere in between?

The cars that have been stripped to the bare essentials, dressed back up a bit and then given the raw performance twist!!! Presented in it's simplest form. Kinda like taking the 944/951 back to the 60s style of sports car.

I've only seen a couple of cars that would fit this description and they were beautiful!

Seems that all I see is stuff that is "bolt on" or comes in a "kit"
Mine I guess fits in there.

It is in the process of being done as if you are taking a beast of a track car and doing the least possible to make it street legal as opposed to taking a street car and making it like a track car.....if that makes sense???? lol

Actually it seemed the most bang of the buck aproach in that fully track car is expensive and fully street restored original is expensive but "raw beast" allows you to not go to such detail and expense.

The interior at least so far in the hatch and back seats etc are stripped and raw metal, but no roll cage, etc. Need some race style seats and and will rip all the front carpet out and then lay some real thin carpet or just spray the whole floor, rear etc. with the black rubberized under coating. The hatch area is already sprayed. Would love to go wide body and new wing, etc. for the exterior but that will be next winter as this winter was the 2.8 swap.

Mods are extensive but all pieced mealed and no "kits".
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Cole
Drifting

Is more than just taking stuff off. It's a level of quality in the presentation too.

I believe a true outlaw should have some custom fabbed parts, not just missing factory parts or off the shelf bolt ons.

I would not consider my car anywhere close to an outlaw yet it has most of the things listed by many above. (No carpet insulation, 3rd brake light delete, rear seat delete, wiper delete, flushed in headlight sprayers, vented nose, fairly highly modified turbo motor, billet shifter, billet shifter ****, custom boot, custom tt rebuild, cc delete, fiberglass vented nose and euro rear bumpers, etc etc. used to have race seats and cage, no rethinking my reinstall of the factory sport seats)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Cole
Drifting

Just look to some of the outlaw 356 or R Gruppe cars for inspiration of style.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read all posts, maybe somebody has said this.

The operative word is 'law'. The outlaw thing started with 356s that had strict laws, meaning [mega ****] purists who would look down their noses at mods. The 944 community does not have as much purist ethic, doing an outlaw when there are no laws might be tough.

Maybe a new term is needed, it could catch on and make these cars more respected.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Eh, there have been "outlaw" biker bikes, and "outlaw" street rod and muscle car builds, etc for decades. Tat is why I also mentioned the "R Gruppe" stuff.

I think in the 944 community it would need to be cars that where built outside the normal standards and to a much higher level than done elsewhere. Outlaw meaning outside of the norm.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I wonder who among us would be willing to undertake such a build...

One day I will finish my engine, and actually be motivated to start the rest of my build....
Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 PM
xschop
Drifting

I have never given a rat's *** about purist's philosophy. If you like **** carpet and dice go for it. My mentality has and will always be, more reliable power and chop the weight and fluff where possible.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I wonder who among us would be willing to undertake such a build...

I made the mistake of letting my wife have free reign of the 951 last year. Took out the cage and race seat in favor of factory heated sport seats...

Need to get back on my Hooligan 951 project
Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
I made the mistake of letting my wife have free reign of the 951 last year. Took out the cage and race seat in favor of factory heated sport seats...

Need to get back on my Hooligan 951 project
Engine by Chris white (including stand alone, and turbo)
Gauges by Pro-Sport
Dash by Haltech
Body by Yours trully (with a few pieces from D9)
Exhaust (head to turbo) by Speed force racing, with a few custom bits here and there
Interior.. still planning
Turbo to tailpipe.. still planning

It WILL be one of a kind... Look good, go fast, custom all over the place... because thats the way I like it!
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 06-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
ktel
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is as close as it gets to an outlaw 944. More info here

I really don't know if I like it or not...
Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
xschop
Drifting

Pat Walker's true outlaw right there.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

isn't that dude from MD and it's a 944 with a v8 swap?

Quick Reply: "Outlaw" 944s....where are they?