Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Outlaw" 944s....where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If we were to follow the lead of outlaw 356s then what makes it an outlaw is simple and explained here.

http://www.porscheperfect.com/2009/0...w-porsche-356/

1. Bigger/modified engine
2. Lowered/modified suspension
3. Typically non stock paint color
4. Typically non stock wheels
5. Typically non stock interior
6. Sometimes deleted bumpers, possibly nerf bars
7. Usually not a stock or “period performance”

8. Most of all:
All out performance
The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (12-24-2020)
Old 06-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
If we were to follow the lead of outlaw 356s then what makes it an outlaw is simple and explained here.

http://www.porscheperfect.com/2009/0...w-porsche-356/

1. Bigger/modified engine
2. Lowered/modified suspension
3. Typically non stock paint color
4. Typically non stock wheels
5. Typically non stock interior
6. Sometimes deleted bumpers, possibly nerf bars
7. Usually not a stock or “period performance”

8. Most of all:
All out performance

Chrome and shaved door handles are not "all out performance" but man it makes this car look good (just saying there is more to it than just performance, then it would be track quality stuff, not the beauty we see in the r Gruppe and outlaw 356 stuff)

vacuumnoise (12-24-2020)
Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM
kab996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cole, the car is still coming along. In the past few days I've cut all the bracing out of the hood to just leave a light weight skin and also made some really nice hood pin mounts. Also in the process of finishing a transaxle brace and a battery box for my Odyssey680. Car is 2420lbs. Still totally streetable. I just took it 600 miles. Heres some quick pics.

Name:  9442.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  105.3 KB

[IMG]
vacuumnoise (12-24-2020)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM
dontnow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I was staring under the hood and man there is a LOT of extra steel in these cars. EVERY bracket could probably take a few strategically placed holes from the drill press and not lose function.
When you drill the holes, use a "dimple die" to add the rigidity back into the piece. I bought several when I was building an off road car. If you want to start poking holes, I would lend you some dies. ie:http://www.vansantent.com/sheet_meta...imple_dies.htm
Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

Hey guys - thinking about taking it a step further. Here's what I've done so far. Rear seat delete. 40lb damper gone. Heavy insulation under carpet gone. Bilstein coil overs with camber plates (lowered car one inch) Air bag delete (club sport steering wheel), deleted power seats, now manual. Spare tire gone. Next is windshield wash & cruise control. Question, how much weight can I expect to save with AC delete?

1990 944S2 Cab Fresh Everything...sorted nicely
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

this thread is thoroughly confusing me. most of you guys are discribing a typical dream clubsport/ RS build. from what i've seen of 356 and vw outlaws, aren't they just sacked on steel wheels, mismatched paint, leather straps holding down the bonnet, lightly stripped interior... aren't most 944's already halfway there?

Originally Posted by Cole
Yep, probably a good place to look for inspiration.

Though...."factory" and "outlaw" don't really go together.

Here is a nicely done early interior with some of the concepts I was talking about. I would need two seats though.
yeah those are of a genuine 924 carerra gts clubsport.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

It's called a lemons car?

Or a lemons car with power? lol
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

I like the thought process, Cole. More of the old school R-Gruppe stuff, not the West Coast Chopper crap. An early n/a with a simpler dashboard would be perfect for something like this, much along the lines of the one shown earlier with the interior (black would be perfect). Delete that A/C, relocate a switch, boom. No door pockets, love the window switch relocate. Fabric door pulls a-la Boxster Spyder (more ideas there- this is practically a modern day Outlaw) to replace the inside releases? Definitely manual mirrors and locks. Cruise and windshield washer delete are a good idea... hey mine are already gone (trying to keep mine full OE factory spec, but that makes me second guess)! Sunroof delete body sounds good and I'd keep the headliner. A very clean 968 motor swap with an oragami approach to the wiring would be sweet. Love the light amp idea and no head unit with a minimal iPhone mount for a touch of the modern day if it were tastefully executed. No antenna. No rear wiper. I think you'd have to keep the carpet, but no rear seats and perhaps more sporting front seats. Non-stock color, no window tint, OE glass. Nothing wrong with the cool flip-up headlamps, though the driving lights could be done away with for intakes (no holes through the nose). Cat-less exhuast. No clear corners. Maybe yellow headlamps. Off-white body patina. No fender liners. Fatter tires on custom-wide 16" Fuchs.

I do like leather straps on bonnets... theme goes better on a 356 than ours however.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 AM
944meister
Pro

I like the idea of lightweight lexan side and quarter windows, but I don't like the idea of hitting my head on them in the case of a side impact :/
Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 944meister
I like the idea of lightweight lexan side and quarter windows, but I don't like the idea of hitting my head on them in the case of a side impact :/
In the spirit of the outlaw...

side window delete... just a piece of rubber over the window slot in the door.

100W fogs in a euro bumper.. delete factory headlights, replace with one piece header panel to totaly remove the headlight buckets.

Delete all power options from the car (including the power rear hatch mechanism and sunroof stuff).

AC delete (you don't have windows right?)

Delete hood release cable and mechanism, pin hood shut.

Turbo or super charge the motor, vent the hood / fenders ...

High strung suspension, lower the car till the titanium rub plates installed to the frame hit speed bumps.

Am I getting close?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Cole
Drifting

Thinking the momentum is now starting to roll in the right direction ...
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone carpet deleted Rhino-lined their floorboard?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xschop
I plan to do this on my track car build.

If you were to keep a radio, delete it from the console and hide it in the glovebox. Was also thinking of doing that to my track car build.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by xschop
Carpet without insulation may be lighter than Rhino lining. I've done a couple of Jeep tubs and rhino has some weight to it when applied right. Is also kinda slippery when wet, let's through more heat, etc.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a daily driver i wouldn't remove all the sound deadening. Mine is a DD and i removed all the factory sound insulation ,40kg of it but put back 10kg worth of new sound deadening sheets . I wouldn't go any less than that ,it's not as quiet as before but remains drivable on a daily basis.

Quick Reply: "Outlaw" 944s....where are they?