Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my head gasket just blew...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

drain all the coolant and run straight water....

make sure she's chuck full of water....

now, fill your overflow tank with this amazing product (in the LARGE bottle).....

blast the heat and run at idle for 20 minutes.....

NO MORE BLOWN HEAD GASKET.

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
this one works I've read here: Napa P/N 6601410
Thanks for this. I'm just hesitant using something unorthodox like a NAPA part, or really anything that isn't OE or equal quality. I think I may just get in a habit of replacing this valve and associated hoses every several years just to be safe.

Originally Posted by fwb42
Search this.
How to clean dirty coolant tank?
How about that? Learn something every day. Unfortuantely, mine is very yellowed on the outside to the point of being opaque, so on goes a new $300 one...

All parts arrive Friday in time for the weekend!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A shop put Bar's Stop Leak in my 944S, and that cost me well over $7,000. I eventually caved in and sold the car. I've been nervous of gunk-type products ever since. YMMV.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:23 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by tamathumper
A shop put Bar's Stop Leak in my 944S, and that cost me well over $7,000. I eventually caved in and sold the car. I've been nervous of gunk-type products ever since. YMMV.
Yeah, not doing this, head gasket is not damaged!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I'd skip the heater valve and put that stuff in. It'll seal up a 3/4 inch hole!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done that too, heater control valve, although mine is an S2, not Turbo. I also overheated the **** out of it (backstraight at Pocono) badly warping the head. Took a long time to figure that out.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I've done that too, heater control valve, although mine is an S2, not Turbo. I also overheated the **** out of it (backstraight at Pocono) badly warping the head. Took a long time to figure that out.
You should have just used a can of Bar's Head Straightener
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I'd skip the heater valve and put that stuff in. It'll seal up a 3/4 inch hole!
Ha!

Thankfully, I'm 99.9% sure the gasket is fine- the bank is 1 mile from my house, where I started it up cold in the morning, so I hadn't been burning it up all afternoon. Same thing fleeing the scene- 1 easy mile right back home. Overheating warning lamp never came on and the needle didn't get into the red.

Parts arrive tomorrow!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Finally got the HCV hose against the firewall in place- I'd be screwed if my hands were much bigger. Ended up taking the coolant return line hose off briefly to get to it better that goes alongside the head. New brilliant white coolant expansion tank is in place (build in January 1995, WTF mate? seems fine though annoying it was still $300), and put a new diverter valve in while I was there. Unfortunately, while replacing the speed and reference sensors, I dropped one of the screws and can't find it- didn't go into the bellhousing check hole I know, but it's MIA and I'm now at a project stop until I get another (few) ordered. Not seeing anything like this on Paragon or Pelican- any tips?

Have other stuff to do like most of the fuel system next, but am going to do one system at a time to make sure they all come together properly. I guess I can go put in my floormats...
Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Well I couldn't find the screw I needed anywhere online for some reason, but I found a socket screw from my 951 parts drawer with the same size and drive that ended up working perfectly for my reference sensor (or whichever one is closest to the engine for ease of driving it in there).

SO! Checked all the HCV and expansion tank connections, cracked open the screw at the high point of the coolant system near the #1 cyl. for airflow, got the nose tipped up simply by backing down the driveway a bit, filled it up with coolant (was bone dry minus whatever was left in the block and radiator), and I'm back in business! Did a much needed test drive at moderate speeds and the temp held great. When I came back, I had a stream of coolant after about an hour that showed up at the rear of the car on the ground, I'm hoping this is just bleed-off from the first run. I checked every connection I could and they were all dry and snug- will check this again tomorrow. So for now I'm back on the road and running strong as ever. Tackling all the fuel lines in the engine bay next.

And got my new floormats in too.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Happy days! I'd bet the coolant spill is just a bit of overflow. I find that in the heat my car regulates itself to a fairly low level of coolant. If I fill it to what I think it should be, it just overflows again, but just a little like you are seeing. But still keep an eye on it though...they don't handle this kind of heat well

I am fixing almost exactly the same problem tomorrow on mine

Quick Reply: I think my head gasket just blew...