Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, hello!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:53 PM
aheid84
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, hello!

Hello all!!

I am a brand new user on this forum and I just wanted to take a moment to say hi and introduce myself.

Quick history: I have been around cars my whole life and I love them, all of them (ok some, maybe not so much). I built my first motor (small block chevy) when I was 16. Started as a very mild rebuild and, as so many projects do, it turned into a wild, pull all the stops build. It actually got me into a lot of trouble at a young age!! So anyway, I love cars and I am at a place in my life right now where I finally have the money and time (ok, maybe not time) to have a nice project car that I can do RIGHT. Unlike my first car, which was an 84 el camino with a 500hp motor, 3500 stall and a set of 295's slapped on the back. No suspension, or brakes for that matter, now you can see why I got myself into trouble?? I digress....

I had a very troubling decision to make. What car to build. I wanted something that could grow with me, I could take my time with and, maybe years from now, have the car I always wanted. I narrowed my choices, 944 turbo or C5 vette. Obviosly you know which choice I have come to. I have driven plenty of vettes, and its a great car, but ultimately it is not what I am looking for. They are kind of boring. My best friend had an 88 rx-7 turbo II with about 310 rwhp (he is currently building a 3 rotor for it) when I was in college. That was probably one of the most fun cars I have ever driven. It was fast, handled well, stopped well, got looks everywhere we went...etc That was the basis of my decision. Obviously an rx-7 is no Porsche, but I figured there would be some similarities in design and handling.

So here is my plan. I am currently looking for the right 944, once found, here are my rough steps of progression.

1. Drive and enjoy car. Maybe make some good stock engine videos (for later comparrison).
2. During winter, pull motor and rebuild. I want to put new rod bearings and nuts at a minimum. Probably new timing and balance shaft belts. Maybe new rod bolts??
3. Achieve the magic 300-325 rwhp mark with kit from either (or maybe parts from each, after doing my research of course!);
- Vitesse
- Lindsey Racing
- Rogue (I know this is mostly just tune, but people on here seem to rave about it)
4. Start working on suspension/brakes and overall looks of the car.
5. Go crazy... Bigger turbo, fuel system, head work and just push the 2.5 as far as I can. I will be doing lots of data logging and tuning and changing parts out.
6. Once the motor goes, or I get tired of it....... Stroker, maybe even go to a bigger block. (this is distant future, a lot of things can change, hell I may even put an LSx in it.... j/k. Sorry)

Thanks for reading!! I look forward to getting to know all the regulars on here. I ask a lot of questions (usually only once) and I am very familiar with the search bar!!

Also, yes I know this is expensive! I don't plan on doing all this tomorrow, or even over the next year or two. It is NOT my daily driver. This is only a toy. I will use it mostly to drive on the streets, however I have been considering taking some lessons and maybe giving it a go at a track.

Thanks again and let me know what your thoughts are. I love ideas! Oh and I am from Dallas, TX so if anyone is close... Let me know!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

On a 944 turbo, if you want to mod it and get more power out of it, I'd recommend just going ahead and replacing the head gasket. They pop a lot on modded cars, especially if they're old, and since you want to take the engine out anyway...

Rod bearings is a good idea, you can replace the oil pan gasket too. I'd do all the seals, gaskets, etc. The #1 priority is the timing belt and balance shaft belt, and the water pump. So that includes all the tensioners and rollers, front seals, etc. Rebuilding one of these engines is pretty expensive. Also you may already know this but if you're coming from Chevy, you should know these engines are Alusil and have no cylinder liners, so if you want to do a complete rebuilt, you'll need a special machinist with the Sunnen mill.

rx-7s and 944s look similar, but it ends there. One of my best friends had an FC and I drove it - the two cars have very different handling characteristics. Also the design and layout is very different. But maybe it's beside the point...

Good luck on your search. There are good ones out there, and at good prices if you look carefully and patiently.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, you might want to pop over to the 944 turbo forum Here if you haven't so.

Im perspective, Porsche > Mazda. in almost everything.
for argument sake. if you have a well sorted 951 with a suspension overhall and coilovers ect, compared to a RX7 with similar suspension mods, the 951 will **** all over it.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

Welcome!

Don't get me wrong, I love my 951, but have you considered a 928?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Welcome!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
aheid84
2nd Gear

@FRporscheman - Great info on the rebuild. Thank you, there are some things I hadn't realized. Definitely food for thought!

@Paulyy - I have been checking out the turbo section, I actually thought that is where I posted this, but apparently not. Also, I read your build thread.... Wow, great work! I bet your car is an absolute blast to drive!

@Shawn Stanford - I have given the 928 a lot of consideration. I think that given my current budget for the car purchase (around 6k) it is going to be hard to find a decent one. Originally, I was going to plan on about 10k for purchase, but after some research, I decided to come down a bit in order to get a head start on ordering some parts for my rebuild. That being said, if I find one in decent shape and in my price range, I will have some thinking to do...

@Butters944 - Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Hello, hello!