Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 years on jack stands. Time to start her up again

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 3 years on jack stands. Time to start her up again

Winter of 2008 I parked my '86 944 in the garage, disconnected the battery and placed the car on jack stands for the winter. That Winter I fell off a ladder and have been 3 years recovering. I'm thinking I'm now mentally capable of getting beck in the car yet I'll never recover enough to get it back on the race track.

Mid July, I'll have the car flat bedded to a local community college automotive shop where I plan on replacing the timing belt, resealing the front of the engine, and start the car.

I have a complete set of shop manuals and full use of a completely stocked auto shop (it even comes with ASE mechanics).

I's being flat bedded because I'm concerned about starting the car and driving it the 30 miles to the shop.

What do I need to do before starting?

Who's got the best quality parts at the best prices?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I would go ahead do and do the seals, timing belt like you mentioned and then maybe do an oil change, change out the fuel, new fuel filter and basic tune-up: like plugs, cap and rotor. Check over all the vac lines for cracks and such maybe get some electical cleaner and clean a few sensors as well. Make sure you have a good battery and to an ohm test on the coil as well, maybe browse over the fuse too.

I usually pruchase from Lindseyracing.com and Paragon-products.com so far to me the have really good prices. I use 944online.com for the hard to find stuff and Lart the King of Part for things that are second hand performance or when I'm pulling out the wallet with dead moths.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's been 3 years since she was turned over, I'd also take a sample of the fuel - you may well have a tank full of dead gas.

Additionally, while you are doing the engine-out work, I'd strongly suggest checking all your vacuum lines and fuel lines for perishing. The total outlay for putting a new set of silicone under the hood is not too much and will help prevent future problems/fires.

Assuming you will be doing your RMS, I would suggest you check your clutch and action as needed while you're there
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. One of my concerns was what to do to the cylinders before first attempting to turn the engine over. Plugs out, turn by hand, add some...?

Never even thought about bad fuel. Guess I'll add a fuel filter to the parts list.

The class I"m taking is a general automotive maintenance class. It will meet Mondays and Tuesday for nine hours each day. I've already got the brake class and the steering/suspension class finished. Nine hours will make long days but I've got to be doing something while I'm there, so tearing the 944 apart and putting her back together will be my task.

The last day of class, I'll be disassembling a '72 VW bug that will be traveling to the body shop next door for my Fall auto body shop. Attempting a frame off restoration. the VW sat idle for eight years before I got her started again. guess that was a warm up for the 944.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

nice bug
Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would siphon out old gas if possible. And add some water remover to what is left in the systam. we did it to mine before starting it up after a 9 month nap. For yours I would be tempted to drain the oil and hand turn with marvel mystery in it as well before trying it.

good luck and keep us posted.

michael
Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

NC, great to see you back again. Good luck getting her up and running.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Well it's been a month since I first started this thread. The car is off the jack stands, flat bedded to the local community college auto shop, and is on the lift.

Discovered I'm missing my power steering belt and my lower engine cover.

Wheels are off and spider webs are gone. Have the #1 cylinder @ TDC and flywheel lined up. Stuck a shop rag in with a screw driver to keep it locked.

Parts are ordered from Paragon. Complete front reseal kit (4 belts and seals), new fuel filter, new plugs and oil filter @ +- $300.00. Pictures will follow Monday when class starts back up.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After that long sitting stationary, in addition to the above suggestions I would consider sending off the injectors for a good cleaning (I like whitchhunter).
Also, before cranking......remove the plugs then pour a little oil into the oil filter housing tube and top the filter off before screwing it back on (potentially messy, I know) to help prime the oil pump.
Once you have oil pressure, replace the plugs and light the candle.

Brian
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brian. You've pointed out some items that I would have overlooked. Not sure about the injectors, may wait until start-up to see if "the candle lights". Will use the oil in the oil filter housing tube suggestion.

Do have all four of the Porsche workshop manuals available.

The plugs in the car were Bosch Platinum +4. Replacing with copper OEM plugs. Is this a mistake?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good call on plugs.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
1933beer
Instructor

since it has been sitting so long and I would hate to have to go back in there right after doning the belts and seals I would replace the water pump. if it goes it will mess things up as well

good luck
Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

I've got two years (before storage) on the water pump. Had it replaced with a new WP by a Porsche mechanic right after it was purchased. This was back when I had $ and could afford to pay someone else to work on the car.

It really is a sense of satisfaction doing this myself. At the local community college, completed automotive electronics, brakes, steering/suspension. This is a general automotive maintenance class I am in now.

This fall I am in the body shop and doing an off chassis restoration on the VW bug in my second post. Becca, my sweetie, will have to suffer and drive the 944 (W/AC) during August and September while her Bug is in pieces.

Keep the 944 suggestions coming.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Oh man, cheers to you. Keep us posted.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 AM
StraightSix
Intermediate

From experience, I would plan on replacing the fuel pump, too. At least, I had to after two different periods of letting my '84 sit for five years and then three years.

Quick Reply: 3 years on jack stands. Time to start her up again