Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fuel Line leak...possible large scale repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012 | 11:55 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Default Rear Fuel Line leak...possible large scale repair

So I just got the call from my local mechanic this morning...fuel line that drops up and into the top of the tank is leaking (one very small drip every 10-15 seconds), worn from age and general wear only as the car is clean as some of you guys have seen.

Can't tell if it is high pressure or not, but he says the whole rear end/transmission has to get dropped to get to it (I don't think there is an access hatch either, I will investigate tonight when I go pick up the car). I'm going to have him throw it up on his lift to get a better look at it (I had it jacked up in the driveway, but that was only for a quick inspection). Really, an '89 doesn't have an access hatch? Did my mechanic miss it?

So until I get a better look, I'm looking at $1000-1500+ for a fuel line due to labor. Anyone has any advice or thoughts let me know. I'm already thinking of siphoning out the gas so it's low enough that it won't drip (fresh fill up two weeks ago), parking the car, and making plans to finish out the XKE project...this should be interesting.

Last edited by flat12boxer; 06-11-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2012 | 12:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

The transmission has to come down and then the gas tank comes down after that.

Shouldn't take more than an hour to drop the transmission and there's only a handful of bolts on the gas tank.

The lines on top of the tank are the evap lines, or the filler neck. More likely the evap lines - one time I was filling up the tank on mine and the car was parked on a bit of a slope, once it got full gas started pouring out the other side of the car. The angle was just high enough to reach the hose...I never bothered with replacing it, just don't fill it up again like that lol.
Old 06-11-2012 | 01:06 PM
xsbank
Racer

I bet 8 hours. My Porsche guy is 87.50 per, so if they are quoting more than 1000 you are being screwed.
Old 06-11-2012 | 01:16 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

He's not screwing me, he's a friend of my dad's and he doesn't want to tackle it. I believe his estimate included more than one fuel hose (he'd check the other ones) but he seriously and politely asked me if I could have someone else do it.

If the line goes to the top of the tank/pump, there has to be an access hatch, though, no? All my other foreign cars have had it. In theory if there is, I should just be able to disconnect the battery, pull the line off the top tank/pump connection and then replace?

Edit: after perusing Clark's Garage, how about through the fuel level sender access hatch, etc. if it exists? http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-13.htm
Old 06-11-2012 | 04:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flat12boxer
He's not screwing me, he's a friend of my dad's and he doesn't want to tackle it. I believe his estimate included more than one fuel hose (he'd check the other ones) but he seriously and politely asked me if I could have someone else do it.

If the line goes to the top of the tank/pump, there has to be an access hatch, though, no? All my other foreign cars have had it. In theory if there is, I should just be able to disconnect the battery, pull the line off the top tank/pump connection and then replace?

Edit: after perusing Clark's Garage, how about through the fuel level sender access hatch, etc. if it exists? http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-13.htm
You can't work on anything from the access port there except clean the wires on the fuel sender.
Old 06-11-2012 | 05:17 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
You can't work on anything from the access port there except clean the wires on the fuel sender.
So when I am under the car and I look at the line going up to the top of the fuel tank where the hell does it go? Does it just screw on to a threaded nipple or something?
Old 06-12-2012 | 06:07 PM
nofalls
Racer

The line you are looking at is the fuel return from the FPR. It is not under any great pressure. You can (I have) disconect it from the access port on top. It is the larger hose that connects to the larger nipple on the fuel level sender. The lower side has a crimped on fitting that attaches to fuel hard line. Disconnect the connnection at the hard line and pull the old hose out with a rope or twine tied to it, trailing behind, ot pull in the new hose. Take the old hose and cut off the ferrule. Be careful not to cut too deep. You want to save the hose barb/threaded connector. New hose time. Insert hose barb and use a hose clamp. Use the rope to pull the new hose into place. Cut to length and install.
Old 06-13-2012 | 12:01 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by nofalls
The line you are looking at is the fuel return from the FPR. It is not under any great pressure. You can (I have) disconect it from the access port on top. It is the larger hose that connects to the larger nipple on the fuel level sender. The lower side has a crimped on fitting that attaches to fuel hard line. Disconnect the connnection at the hard line and pull the old hose out with a rope or twine tied to it, trailing behind, ot pull in the new hose. Take the old hose and cut off the ferrule. Be careful not to cut too deep. You want to save the hose barb/threaded connector. New hose time. Insert hose barb and use a hose clamp. Use the rope to pull the new hose into place. Cut to length and install.
So the sending unit end has no fitting and is just clamped on? And you want me to pull the rope towards the front of the car to route the. We hose, then put that old fitting on that end and rejoin? Was it hard to pull the line through or to get the fitting to attach correctly?

I just use regular good quality fuel line or something better? Anything else I am missin or misinterpreting? Do I have to clamp off or plug the hard line under the car or will that be fairly empty?

Thanks for the tips. I figured there had to be a way but honestly got scared when I started looking at pictures of fuel tanks with the lines on top.
Old 06-13-2012 | 04:48 PM
nofalls
Racer

So the sending unit end has no fitting and is just clamped on? Yep.

And you want me to pull the rope towards the front of the car to route the hose? Use a leather punch to put a hole in the hose end you pull off the sender. Tie a rope through the hole. Disconnect the hose from the hard line and pull it down and out.

then put that old fitting on that end and rejoin? Cut the old fitting off by taking a dremel cut off wheel to the ferrule. Make two cuts length wise and the ferrule will open like a clam. Pull the fitting out of the hose. There will be a hose barb on the end that was under the ferrule in the hose.

Was it hard to pull the line through or to get the fitting to attach correctly? Not really. The hose is taped to the top of the tank and lays over/under some of the evap hoses but it comes out pretty easy. The fitting is just a hose barb. Shove it into the new hose and clamp it.

I just use regular good quality fuel line or something better? Yep. regular old fuel hose. This is not a pressurized line really.

Do I have to clamp off or plug the hard line under the car or will that be fairly empty? It will pour out all over the place! Be ready with rags, big fresh air fan, extinguish all pilot lights etc.

Thanks for the tips. I figured there had to be a way but honestly got scared when I started looking at pictures of fuel tanks with the lines on top. Those are the evap lines. The fuel return line runs straight from the fuel sender toward the front of the car to the hard line.

Arnnworx used to sell fuel line parts. Here is one of his write ups.
http://arnnworx.com/fuel_lines.htm

Best of luck
Old 06-13-2012 | 04:51 PM
nofalls
Racer

By the way.... it might be that the fuel sender has cracked around the return line nipple. I had one go like that from being stupid with a jack and pushing up on the fuel tank under the sender. The nipple is welded into the top of the sender and runs down to the bottom. That weld can crack. Inspect when you pull the line off.
Old 06-14-2012 | 12:08 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Use a leather punch to put a hole in the hose end you pull ...
That might be a $1000 post - best of the week...Bruce
Old 06-14-2012 | 03:28 PM
nofalls
Racer

Originally Posted by F18Rep
High praise coming from you sir!

Thank you.
Old 06-16-2012 | 04:25 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F18Rep
I agree. I need to do this. I have the gas smell and telltale stream of dried gas residue coming down the right side of the tank. The paper punch idea is fantastic. I just so happen to have a punch around that I used on my newspaper delivery route....get this.... forty years ago!!

Quick Reply: Rear Fuel Line leak...possible large scale repair