Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong idler pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong idler pulley?

I have an 86 951. Recently found the idler pulley bad, so I pulled it out and ordered a new one from ebay. The one I got is half the size of the one I pulled. Is there some common upgrade I don't know about that requires a larger idler pulley? How do I get the right one?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd suggest you get the part number from Pelican Parts or AutoAtlanta diagrams and then verify the next one you buy on ebay or wherever. I just bought the entire belt and roller kit since I wasn't too sure of the history of the maintenance of my car.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there some common upgrade I don't know about that requires a larger idler pulley?
Yea, there is. Its confusing about what came when because Porsche was making changes on the fly to deal with all the belt problems. Some of the old hardware included 24mm offset rollers that were all steel construction, swapped out for 27mm rollers w/ plastic parts. The idler that you mentioned as well as the one on the balance belt. And then there was the separator bar, which I would have thought you had. So when you go to order parts especially from places like worldpac, they provide the original parts for that year and I guess you're supposed to know the newer part numbers, if you want those. Heres a pic of some of the differences, even the belt width changed from the early days. And this doesn't even include the balance belt cogs.
So then when the new old stock parts arrive and you realize what happened, what do you do? Sell them on ebay. Kinda of uncool but whatever...Bruce

PS... It would be nice if we had some sort of configuration chart to look at.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you got the early water pump idler for the pump without the belt guard. You need an 87+ idler roller -or "updated" pump style. To get the right parts, try ordering from one of our vendors that know these cars like www.rennbay.com or www.paragon-products.com or www.lindseyracing.com
Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe just read Clarks-Garage.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/cool-07.htm

It sounds like you bought the 32mm idler roller for the regular water pump.
That roller is cheap.

You need the 46mm idler roller that costs more for the turbo "updated" pump with belt guard.

The same goes for the complete "Belt and Roller" kits.

The updated 46mm roller kits cost a lot more.

John
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Ordering one from paragon products. Nothing is easy with these cars huh?

Quick Reply: Wrong idler pulley?