Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell housing bolts - need help- 83 NA

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bell housing bolts - need help- 83 NA

Doing my first clutch job. Got everything out except the bell housing bolts. Interestingly, the P.O. didn't seem to bother with the top two bell housing bolts. The two bottom ones are completely immovable. I have a decent compressor and impact wrench, and some wobble extensions that allow me to get it in there, and there is no give whatsoever.

Is there some magic to getting these out?

I might be able to get heat to the bottom one but not the one at 10 o'clock. They have PB Blaster soaking on them. Is there any magic, or do I just need to keep beating them with the impact wrench until they quit?
Old 06-10-2012, 03:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

They are tight but you will need to be careful - I have seen the bottom driver side bolt snap off part of the block casting because the bolt was crossthreaded. If for whatever reason your engine has been missing the top two bolts then there has been a lot of strain on those threads...you can never use too much PB blaster. Try tapping the bolt head with a hammer if you can work one in the space, it might shock the threads loose enough to try to impact wrench or normal wrench off.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

I'll keep trying. I keep hitting it with the impact wrench, then soaking it with PB Blaster, then repeat. Every couple hours. Just making noise at this point.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 PM
dontnow
Pro

Have you tried a breaker bar instead of an impact? Many impacts do not really have the torque they say they do.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

That's a good idea... I'll try that next. I did try a long wrench, but not a really long breaker bar. Might need to do some interesting contortions to get something long under there, but I have some long bar steel I might be able to work with
Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

Got 'em. Got some 3/4 inch pipe to extend my breaker bar a little more, and that was enough... that and straining every muscle I have.

The bellhousing is off... separated completely. However, its hung up on the insulation on the firewall at the top side of the bellhousing. I can't seem to shimmy it off. The heater control hoses were in the way for a while, but I pulled them out of there. Is there some magic way to get it off... or do I just need to keep wiggling things around until it slides off?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 AM
EJnMN
Instructor

Got it! Thanks for the help rennlisters. I'm sure I'll be back soon!

Quick Reply: Bell housing bolts - need help- 83 NA