Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo is toast. which hoses to replace ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:29 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Pauly my mechanic had already taken out intercooler to give it the once over(and pipes etc). He cut his teeth on these cars when he was at Hamiltons, so knows them backwards, so no worries about the job being done right. I'll mention the turbo oil line to him though

MFYoung
I'd love to be in a position to replace the original turbo but this whole thing is going to keep me poor for sometime and I just don't have the funds or time to do an upgrade. The other issue is there are no bolt up solutions, as far as I know, as everything I read tells me some form of fabrication is usually required, which I can't afford time wise or financially. I agree fitting a BB modern turbo is the smart move from a logical POV but Aussie delivered cars are quite rare and valuable(relative to US cars), so keeping things stock and unmolested has advantages with our cars.

peace
Cyberpunky
mmm thats not so true, many suppliers of turbos offer gt series turbos with the k24/26 exhaust housing as an option

http://www.himni-racing.com/index.ph...roducts_id=345

I'm sure if you called them up and used that Aussie charm you could get them to ship to you, if you couldn't find one of these locally

Just something to keep in mind in the future!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I never say never so have book marked the link for possible future reference
Old 06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I never say never so have book marked the link for possible future reference
For future turbo upgrades.. just call me, i've done all the research needed for 951;
from the quickest spooling bolt ons to the largest most powerful turbo that fits under the stock intake. for example mine is rated at 640 hp

Yeah i remember you telling me how much trust you've got in the bloke!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:04 PM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did your compressor blades get chewed up like that?
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

I hit a fox which must have dislodged something in intake. I think it may have been rubber from a perished hose but reality is we will never know.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulyy
For future turbo upgrades.. just call me, i've done all the research needed for 951;
from the quickest spooling bolt ons to the largest most powerful turbo that fits under the stock intake. for example mine is rated at 640 hp

Yeah i remember you telling me how much trust you've got in the bloke!
Whats the new GTX turbo's like?

also the GT30 is like the perfect turbo for 944's, your a lil shy of displacement to step up to a GT35 (We're talking stock motor configs here), and a 28 will just choke the top end of that motor

I have ran a 35 on a smaller displacement 4 than the 944's but not on a stock exhaust manifold, or head
Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
Whats the new GTX turbo's like?

also the GT30 is like the perfect turbo for 944's, your a lil shy of displacement to step up to a GT35 (We're talking stock motor configs here), and a 28 will just choke the top end of that motor

I have ran a 35 on a smaller displacement 4 than the 944's but not on a stock exhaust manifold, or head
the GT3076R with a .63 a/r rear housing is the best ideal turbo for our cars.
the GTX3076R (What i've got) is almost exactly the same except it can flow a lot more air and hold more boost. IICR it's 100rpm more lag then the GT.

a rennlister had a gt3582r on their car to see how it went before it went on a 3L engine. that was huge lag but doable on a higher rpm engine. Just not sure how well that fits since it's a larger frame, and mine did require some modifications.

Some say, which i agree is the GTX3071R .63 a/r is now the ideal turbo for our stock 2.5L
Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Bruce, do you have a replacement turbo yet? I might have a k26/8 or even a 6 as well lying around. I tend to agree with the opinion that you put on something a bit more contemporary. Even though our cars are way more expensive here than in the US, unless yours is absolutely concourse perfect, a prospective buyer is going to love that you've updated the turbo...or don't tell them. Either way, not a bad idea if you can squeeze the budget. I've got a Tial / Garrett GT3076 .63 not doing anything but it takes a bit of welding to make it work. Paulyy can fill you in on the details.If you still want/need a stock turbo let me know. I'll ask Sean and if it's there you can have it real cheap. From memory it was in good condition. Sean may still have his old 26/6 too.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulyy
the GT3076R with a .63 a/r rear housing is the best ideal turbo for our cars.
the GTX3076R (What i've got) is almost exactly the same except it can flow a lot more air and hold more boost. IICR it's 100rpm more lag then the GT.

a rennlister had a gt3582r on their car to see how it went before it went on a 3L engine. that was huge lag but doable on a higher rpm engine. Just not sure how well that fits since it's a larger frame, and mine did require some modifications.

Some say, which i agree is the GTX3071R .63 a/r is now the ideal turbo for our stock 2.5L
Yeah I've heard the GTX's are supposed to flow 10% more on the intake and exhaust sides, was the X worth the monies to you?

why do you perfer the 71 to a 76? My understanding is that the 76 compressor housing was redesigned to allow for a bit more flow and was the favorable turbo
Old 06-03-2012, 03:43 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Bruce, do you have a replacement turbo yet? I might have a k26/8 or even a 6 as well lying around. I tend to agree with the opinion that you put on something a bit more contemporary. Even though our cars are way more expensive here than in the US, unless yours is absolutely concourse perfect, a prospective buyer is going to love that you've updated the turbo...or don't tell them. Either way, not a bad idea if you can squeeze the budget. I've got a Tial / Garrett GT3076 .63 not doing anything but it takes a bit of welding to make it work. Paulyy can fill you in on the details.If you still want/need a stock turbo let me know. I'll ask Sean and if it's there you can have it real cheap. From memory it was in good condition. Sean may still have his old 26/6 too.
Whats the turbine housing on it T3? You could always source a k6 exhaust housing for a 76 that will bolt on, oh but the 76 isn't internally wastegated huh
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Yeah I've heard the GTX's are supposed to flow 10% more on the intake and exhaust sides, was the X worth the monies to you?

why do you perfer the 71 to a 76? My understanding is that the 76 compressor housing was redesigned to allow for a bit more flow and was the favorable turbo
Whats the turbine housing on it T3? You could always source a k6 exhaust housing for a 76 that will bolt on, oh but the 76 isn't internally wastegated huh

Let's not drain this thread with aftermarket turbo talk, if you want to ask questions about these turbos, fell free to ask away on this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...data-logs.html

We're just going way off topic.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Cheers Patrick but Pauly sent his old turbo off to my turbo guy for me, to get rebuilt. There was a spacer/collar missing, so we have now removed my turbo and sent that off as well, so he has the missing part. As that part doesn't wear out, it's not in rebuild kits, so he couldn't finish rebuild till he got my turbo.

It will end up a mixture of the 2 turbos. Paulys internals with my housing probably, as Paulys housing had studs that needed to be drilled out and mines fine. Hopefully that will be ready early this week and shipped off to my mechanic. Have ordered new hoses from LR, so car wont be put back together till they arrive. I am going through lag/boost withdrawal badly, as even though i have been driving cars that cost a lot more and are brand new, they just don't have any soul or the handling/connection/rush/balance/thrill/enjoyment factor/etc of our cars
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 06-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Bruce, when you get a chance upgrade your wastegate to a dualport and say by by to lag and hello to instant boost at 2800 rpm and gain top end with less drop off.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Got a call from the guy rebuilding my turbo and unfortunately the impeller has heat droop and needs to be replaced, so I now have to wait while he sources one
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Got a call from the guy rebuilding my turbo and unfortunately the impeller has heat droop and needs to be replaced, so I now have to wait while he sources one
was this mine or yours?

Quick Reply: Turbo is toast. which hoses to replace ???