Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo is toast. which hoses to replace ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Turbo is toast. which hoses to replace ???

So turbo is off the car and looks a lot like this

I had mentioned to my mechanic there was at least one hose I could see that was old and perished and we should replaced and he said that he had to tip toe around a lot of hoses(as original and V old), so naturally I want to replace them while we are in there.

Now here is my dilemma. I only want to order the hoses I need and LR has a complete (master hose kit) option or individual sets, and I need to know what I need.

I do not want to do a venturi delete, as the point of the venturi was to increase vacuum to the brake booster, as turbos naturally have a lot of positive pressure(not vacuum), and so is IMO, not something I want to mess with. I know venturi deletes are popular and from my understanding the logic is because Porsche deleted them on the 87 but they also upgraded brakes to ABS.

My car is basically stock(chipped and exhaust) and I am happy with power, so plan on keeping her that way. I have replaced all the vacuum lines so just want to replace j boot and the other hoses. I can replace hard pipe and radiator hoses later so would just like to know what I should get now.

The link to LR hose page is here

If someone could suggest what hoses I need that would be great
TIA
peace
Cyberpunky

Last edited by Cyberpunky; 05-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love LR, but damn thats alot of money for a silicon hose kit

You don't need to leave OZ to find this stuff man, just need to find the right guys

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...one-hose-sale/

Talk with your mechanic to look over what needs to be replace I can't really speculate without seeing you lines

Also do yourself a favor and dump the stock turbo, get a GT30R, or GT35R well worth it
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not at all impressed with the LR silicon hose kit. They're about 7-ply and are much thicker than factory making already tight spaces even worse. Plus, you'll have to replace a number of the hose clamps because they will no longer fit over the new hoses. Your best bet is to order OEM hoses from Porsche. You'll know you're getting good quality parts that will fit properly and last for another 20+ years.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

unfortunately I dont have time to mess around trying to find alternate hoses that are a close match and the LR stuff is bespoke to our cars. I actually am happy with my cars performance, as it was, including the lag, so would rather keep turbo original and when(if ?) I have sufficient funds, it will be for suspension upgrades or paint
Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Aaron I'd love too but even getting OEM at staff price is expensive(down here) and local availability is another problem. Really need to get my car back on the road ASAP
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
szabon
Racer

I have the LR hose kit, and am very happy with it. I replaced everything, just to be safe. You already have the turbo off, so just replace it all. It will cost less later than having to go in and replace hoses 3 or 4 times. Also, check your aos seals and look at that little rubber elbow that goes out the top of the aos. Mine was shot, and I would not have noticed if I did not take out that mettle octopus in there...
Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I would just get the OEM Style hoses from Lindsey unless you like the look of silicone hoses better.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Bruce,

If it was up to me and wanting to keep the car how it is, i'd replace every hose.
When i took my turbo off, i found that i didn't really need to replace hoses.

About the venturi delete. it won't make a difference if you do it or don't so up to you, but just remember you only use the brakes when you don't accelerate which is always on vacuum and not boost, even immediately after you get off boost and apply the brakes it's vacuum.

also take the intercooler off, and wash that out. since the compressor blade is munched, all the metal pieces have gone somewhere. Also wash the intake, and IC pipes.
Take the spark plugs out and have a look into the cylinders and hope that nothing got in there.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce: I found it pretty easy to replace the hoses with stock ones when I was in this position this spring. My original hoses all even had the part numbers stamped or printed on them, so it was really straight forward to order new ones. Either Pelican or Lindsey carry them, and most are well under $10 US apiece.

Another issue that I've heard with the silicone hose kit is that they're so stiff that it can make access difficult when you need to reach around them.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for everyones input.

I have a few main problems, and that is I don't have access to the car to create a list. I can't afford the whole repair, let alone to replace every hose, and labour to fit them, so I am just trying to do the best compromise of fitting the minimal of replacement hoses(but all that are essential), while I am in there, to avoid having to go back in later. I don't have time to do this slowly, as this is not a side project, and while I am using a work car, I am having to pay FBT(local tax) on it, so just when I need maximum income to help pay for this, it's reduced.

If I had the budget then it would be all hoses and all OEM, but I don't have that luxury. I am mainly going the LR silicone because I can order it in kit form, and know I will get all I need. All the OEM bits I have seen like J boot etc are more expensive.

The bits I am thinking I need to get so far are
Silicone Turbo "J" Boot & clamps
Silicone AOS & Cycling Valve Hose Kit & clamps
Silicone Fuel Vapor Diaphragm Hose
Turbo Oil Drain Vent Hose
(i have already done vacuum hoses and radiator hoses are all in good condition)

am I missing anything ?
TIA
Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

That looks like a good list. But I would really look into doing the venturi delete. It gets rid of a lot of vacuum hoses. Just saying.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Already replaced all the vacuum hoses so it is just an added expense at this point
Old 06-02-2012, 01:59 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
unfortunately I dont have time to mess around trying to find alternate hoses that are a close match and the LR stuff is bespoke to our cars. I actually am happy with my cars performance, as it was, including the lag, so would rather keep turbo original and when(if ?) I have sufficient funds, it will be for suspension upgrades or paint
I would have switched the turbo out for two main reasons

A) BB turbo's last longer
B) Added HP from a more efficient turbo

Sticking with a stock turbo from the 80's never makes sense to me, turbo designs are much better now than they were over 20 years ago

for example my stock turbo from my 98 saab was a GT17 bb turbo, lastest 178,000 miles, and could still keep going, when I removed it, it had almost zero shaft play, didn't leak, and was boosting 20+ PSI still.... A new BB turbo might run you 500-600 bucks more than a reman 80's turbo, but it'll be the last turbo you put on the car
Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Thanks for everyones input.

I have a few main problems, and that is I don't have access to the car to create a list. I can't afford the whole repair, let alone to replace every hose, and labour to fit them, so I am just trying to do the best compromise of fitting the minimal of replacement hoses(but all that are essential), while I am in there, to avoid having to go back in later. I don't have time to do this slowly, as this is not a side project, and while I am using a work car, I am having to pay FBT(local tax) on it, so just when I need maximum income to help pay for this, it's reduced.

If I had the budget then it would be all hoses and all OEM, but I don't have that luxury. I am mainly going the LR silicone because I can order it in kit form, and know I will get all I need. All the OEM bits I have seen like J boot etc are more expensive.

The bits I am thinking I need to get so far are
Silicone Turbo "J" Boot & clamps
Silicone AOS & Cycling Valve Hose Kit & clamps
Silicone Fuel Vapor Diaphragm Hose
Turbo Oil Drain Vent Hose
(i have already done vacuum hoses and radiator hoses are all in good condition)

am I missing anything ?
TIA
all i could think of.
possibly the turbo oil line is worth replacing. i heard that if it gets bent to much when you remove it from the turbo it cracks and starts leaking oil. i tested this with my old turbo oil supply and it's true, a small amount of movement and i head and felt the crack.
Just double check yours isn't broken.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Pauly my mechanic had already taken out intercooler to give it the once over(and pipes etc). He cut his teeth on these cars when he was at Hamiltons, so knows them backwards, so no worries about the job being done right. I'll mention the turbo oil line to him though

MFYoung
I'd love to be in a position to replace the original turbo but this whole thing is going to keep me poor for sometime and I just don't have the funds or time to do an upgrade. The other issue is there are no bolt up solutions, as far as I know, as everything I read tells me some form of fabrication is usually required, which I can't afford time wise or financially. I agree fitting a BB modern turbo is the smart move from a logical POV but Aussie delivered cars are quite rare and valuable(relative to US cars), so keeping things stock and unmolested has advantages with our cars.

peace
Cyberpunky

Quick Reply: Turbo is toast. which hoses to replace ???