Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up an 86 944 Turbo, has some issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:01 AM
diablodude64
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up an 86 944 Turbo, has some issues

I picked up an 86 944 Turbo today and luck would have it that it has the exact problems that my last 944 had except this one is newer.

So since you're wondering!

It has no power to any of the fuses except the radio fuse. The DME relay clicks when I turn the key, but I have no power to the fuel pump. If I turn the lights on, everything works, but if I turn them off, they don't roll back down. When turning it over, the tack bumps so I assume that means the reference sensor(s) is/are working.

Where do I start?

I appreciate it!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:01 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

well you could do what most owners do and just replace stuff at random and hope something eventually works or you could do a systematic fault find.

First check that you have 12v+ at terminal 30 on the ignition switch . It is constantly live with switch off.

Then check that your earth cables are all connected and have good conductivity . Your fuses are mostly all fed directly from the battery so it isn't that hard to find the problem....GET A MANUAL ! or download a schematic

Next remove the DME relay and check that you have 12v+ on terminal 30 at the DME relay socket with the ignition switched off. its constantly live from the battery.

If no 12v+ at DME then check the supply from the battery (possibly red/green but check manual for your model)

If you have 12v+ at T 30 on the DME relay then replace the DME relay with a 3x way bypass cable . This should supply power to the ECU , Injectors, and you should hear the fuel pump running continuously . See Clarkes garage for how to make and use the 3x way bypass. http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

cranking the engine with the 3x way bypass in place eliminates a faulty DME relay and various sensors and should give you a spark at the plugs and fuel injection provided the fuel pump is working and you have fuel pressure.

Let us know how you get on .
Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 PM
diablodude64
Intermediate

If I didn't have 12v+ at terminal 30 on the ignition switch, wouldn't I not have spark?

I checked terminal 30 for the relay, and I have 12v+ but when I jump from there to 87b my fuel pump doesn't turn on. If I give it a little starting fluid, it starts right up, so I know that I am not getting fuel.

But I don't get why I do not have 12v+ at any of the fuses except the radio fuse.

So, I'm going to check grounds and see if I can find anything.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

sorry I didn't see where in your post you had a spark ?

Yes you are right.

If you have a spark at the plugs then the ECU is definitely getting power so it looks likely that either

The DME relay is not energising or
The fuel pump fuse is blown or
The 12v+ supply is not getting to the fuse or
The 12v+ supply from the fuse to the fuel pump is faulty or
The earth to the fuel pump is faulty or
your fuel pump is stuck or fubar

Have you put the 3x way bypass in place of your DME relay yet ?
You need to connect terminals 30 87b and 87 otherwise the ECU and injectors won't work . The DME relay has 2x seperate circuits and both must be activated to start the car
Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 PM
diablodude64
Intermediate

Okay, so I traced it all back, and I have power. I was using my dmm the wrong way.... well, I have power all the way back. The pump tries to work, but I think it's seized. I put it directly on a battery and you can feel it try but it can't.

~Kyle
Old 05-26-2012, 06:07 PM
diablodude64
Intermediate

After getting it unsiezed, the fuel pump turns on but doesn't pump, so I have the problem!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

it may be struggling to self purge . How much gas do you have in the tank ? A few gallons will give the pump some head and may help.
Pumps respond well to a b****y good thump sometimes

Quick Reply: Picked up an 86 944 Turbo, has some issues