Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 PM
jsmith831
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner questions

I recently just purchased my first 944T and I had a couple questions.

Ive been doing some research and found that the oil pressure at start up should be around 4 or 5 bar, but as it warms up, should drop to 2.5-3 bar. I've noticed that my gauge will always stay between 4 and 5 bar even when hot. Its been moderately warm where I live and I've been driving on the freeway. Is this a problem? What should I check? By the way, it is due for an oil change. I did some searches on this forum and think I will replace with 20w-50

Also, some of the interior vinyl is coming lose, what adhesives would you recommend for doing some repairs?

Lastly, I believe the front end needs to be realigned. When I drive straight, the steering wheel is about 20 degrees constantly to the left. I don't think the steering wheel was just put on crooked because I get a steering wheel vibration at 65 mph. The INSIDE of the front tires are very worn and needs replacing. Could this cause the alignment issue and vibration? Could I take it to a place like Costco to change the tires/ align and balance the wheels? or does a Porsche mechanic need to look at it?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

If the oil pressure never moves, the wires could be crossed or the sending could have gone bad and be in need of replacement. Do you have to countersteer to keep the car from going left or right at speed? Or is the wheel just off center but the car drives straight if you remove your hands from the wheel? Inside tire wear may be due to excessive negative camber, and vibration could be due to the wheels being out of balance.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:15 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

you lucky fella ! if your oil pressure stays at 4-5 even when hot then you have a good engine. My 944S2 is the same so don't worry. If the needle goes straight to 5 and never moves then you may well have an electrical fault.

Wear on the inside is due to misalighnment and you'll need to get it checked out pronto. It could be that your cars steering is towing out (wheels splaying out) or it could be due to damage to the suspension geometry due to previous owner hitting a kerb. If the wheels are splaying out they will be fighting each other to stay straight which would cause the steering wheel wobble at speed .

Any good tyre shop should be able to balance the wheels and do a 4x wheel alighnment
Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
jsmith831
Intermediate

Just did my first oil change. Found that a strap oil filter wrench worked well. Some oil spilled on a belt directly below though. I did not have a torque wrench so I had to guess on the preload values. I ran the engine a little after and it ended up taking 6 us quarts.

I also noticed that the coolant was overflowing and spilling onto the ground via overflow tube. Is this due to too much fluid? Anything to worry about?

AND what is this and why is it unplugged?
https://i.imgur.com/ndpcB.jpg
Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM
jsmith831
Intermediate

bump
Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Cruise control connector, probably disconnected for a reason..
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The belt below was the power steering belt. wipe it down good with some acetone or laquer thinner if it looks in good shape. I found a cap socket at the auto parts store that fits on all P cars and especially on my 944. When I changed my oil and filter on it (NA) it used nearly 7 qts. I've seen discussions here that worked between 6 and 7 so I'm not concerned. Dipstick is right on and so's the oil pressure. No leaks after putting in the new pan gasket.

Go to a reputable alignment shop and get the front end sorted out. The tires should wear evenly, wheels shouldn't shake at any speed (balance or warped tires or bent wheel) shock/struts and possibly lower ball joints. When it's all done the steering wheel should be level going down a flat street or in the driveway. If the tires are older than about 6 years, have them checked for roundness. This is the recommended age for tires and the cord could be separating from the carcass. It happened on my Dodge truck big time and I thought I had just thrown a balance weight.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:15 AM
jsmith831
Intermediate

thank you, any thought on the coolant overflow?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jsmith831
thank you, any thought on the coolant overflow?
What are you talking about?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM
jsmith831
Intermediate

I noticed after a drive that the coolant was overflowing and spilling onto the ground via overflow tube. Is this due to too much fluid? I took off the cap and could tell there was a pressure differential. Anything to worry about?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Either a pressure test of the coolant system and/or a new Stant coolant reservoir cap for starters. What was the temp guage saying when all this coolant was running out? If it's even upper range, it shouldn't be running out. A new cap would be quick and cheap. I don't know what the model # or specs are but a quick check on Pelican Parts, Vertex, AutoAtlanta should steer U in the right direction. The model number on my 944 NA is a model # 330 Lever matic with 16# pressure setting. Might be higher for a Turbo but not sure.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Yes, it was too much fluid for the temps/pressures that existed.

If its not the cap, search will reveal things you won't like.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 PM
szabon
Racer

Just an FYI, check your fuel lines. If they are original, just replace them. Especially the little line that goes from the fuel damper to the fuel rail. It would suck to get your car going perfect, and then a fire takes it out. Also, replacing the vacuum lines (all of them) is never a bad plan, and check your turbo to make sure it doesn't have any play and that the blades are not chipped and still shiny. This will all help you in the future...

Quick Reply: new owner questions