Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM
jacbabbitt
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag light

hi This is my first post. I have a 72 911 and just bought a 94 968. Problem is the master caution light (I am a airline guy) and the airbag light are on. I have had it reset using the using the bosch hammer. It came back on within seconds. The error code reads as follows. "IGN PILL CIRC 2, RESISTANCE TOO HIGH, PRESENT. I then pulled the wires between the airbags and the airbag control unit with no noticable resistance. Granted it was not with a super ohm meter, but it works. I reassembled everything and had the airbag light reset again, The light came back on within a few seconds. I was told that a previous owner had put on a MOMO steering wheel for a while then switched it back to original. I have the wiring diagrams but they do not identify what the "PILL circuit might be. Help. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have looked thru the other posts with out a similiar problem. Being an airline pilot the thought of the black tape over the lights or pulling the bulbs as you might imagine, does not fit in with my lifestyle. Thanks.

Jack in Sacramento
Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 PM
magcuda
Intermediate

Pill Circ 2 is the leftmost airbag in the passenger airbag
If the circuit from controller to pill is OK get a 2 ohm resistor and jump the plug going to the pill
Reset the fault, if it comes back on there is a problem in the circuit
If the circuit is good it can be in the controller
If the fault does not come back, then the problem is in the pill
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 PM
jacbabbitt
8th Gear

Thanks. I assume the right one is Circuit 1 and the steering wheel is 3? I off to radio shack for the resistor. I guess the nest question: will the fault clear by itself or does it always have to be cleared.
Jack
Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, it will always need to be cleared, it's a hard fault code.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe Circuit 1 is the steering wheel and Circuits 2 & 3 are the passenger airbags. Have you checked out the Air Bag information at www.clarks-garage.com? Lots of good information there, although I don't think the reset procedure will work for your 968, as you know you need the Bosch Hammer tool.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacbabbitt
hi This is my first post. I have a 72 911 and just bought a 94 968. Problem is the master caution light (I am a airline guy) and the airbag light are on. I have had it reset using the using the bosch hammer. It came back on within seconds. The error code reads as follows. "IGN PILL CIRC 2, RESISTANCE TOO HIGH, PRESENT. I then pulled the wires between the airbags and the airbag control unit with no noticable resistance. Granted it was not with a super ohm meter, but it works. I reassembled everything and had the airbag light reset again, The light came back on within a few seconds. I was told that a previous owner had put on a MOMO steering wheel for a while then switched it back to original. I have the wiring diagrams but they do not identify what the "PILL circuit might be. Help. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have looked thru the other posts with out a similiar problem. Being an airline pilot the thought of the black tape over the lights or pulling the bulbs as you might imagine, does not fit in with my lifestyle. Thanks.

Jack in Sacramento
Jack,

Have a look at these folks: Durametric

I had the same problem with my 968's airbag registering a fault with the system that the Bosch "Hammer" tool wouldn't clear. I bought the Durametric cables, used their software and it cleared it on the first try. It's a little expensive (~$350/shipped IIRC) but it's already paid for itself in diagnostic assistance.

Also, all of the budget fixes for airbag issues for the 944/944S2 will NOT work with the 968. It's in that weird Pre-OBDII period where things weren't standardized across the board.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the Durametric tool, it's a great investment, 3 clears and it paid for itself...

Quick Reply: airbag light