Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. First I hit a fox....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy Help. First I hit a fox....

Driving home last Tuesday night I saw a fox eating road kill so I swerved into the other lane but it did a 180 and jumped in front of my car. Thump kadunk kadunk. One dead fox, one missing number plate but car looks completely unscathed. Take off and steering feels fine so I continue home, which was about 15 minute drive. Once home I grab a light to check damage. Have good look and can't see any damage at all but then coolant starts leaking from my car.

Next morning I have my RDO so get car on ramps, check everything underneath and no fur, damage or anything. I recently fitted the under body aero trays and its all mint.

I take off the trays and all hose etc are attached and I can't see any damage to radiator etc. I fill and bleed the coolant system with water and everything seems fine, run the car till fans kick in etc and lower radiator hose gets warm but not super hot. anyway car stays at normal temp and I can't see any leaks anywhere. Turn car off, no coolant leak.

Decide I should get some coolant and refill coolant system. Drive 5 minutes up the road, grab some coolant and when I come out coolant every where. I get as much water in as I can but cant bleed system so I drive off, and a minute down the road I here a sound like a police siren. Then I see a police car on side of the road(ready to pounce) and another further up the road with lights on that had pulled some one over. I assume siren sound was from another cop car some where.

I am watching temp gauge and its still normal but then I realise its my car making the siren sound. I get home and organise a tow truck to get my car to mechanic not knowing what could be wrong with my car.

Get a call and he can't work out how hitting the fox has done anything but has worked out the siren sound is my turbo and I have no boost. He replaced thermostat and still cant figure out whats going on but says fans are turning on late and temp is sitting higher than it should.

All I know is it looks like there is no link between fox and my cars turbo and coolant system dying, so wont be able to claim on insurance. Whole thing is just weird and defies explanation apart from maybe that killing foxes is bad luck and my car deciding to implode after I hit one, due to bad luck.

If anyone has any ideas on what the heck is going on please feel free to let me know your thoughts, as at this point it looks very grim, as I can't afford to get turbo etc fixed I also can't believe that hitting the fox didn't cause all this, and although there appears no damage that it isn't something to do with front bumper being flexible.

peace
Cyberpunky

Last edited by Cyberpunky; 05-11-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Yarf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the coolant leaking from the turbo?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Sorry forgot to mention coolant is only coming out overflow on expansion tank. No where else
Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

You've changed the expansion tank cap? Coolant under pressure and leaking through a faulty cap will make some weird noises.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Yarf
Racer

+1 on expansion tank cap
Does the noise occur with a cold and or a hot engine?
Have you pressure tested the cooling system?
Any boost indicated on the gage?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

no doubt and I have heard a radiator cap make odd sounds before but the boost gauge maxing at 1 bar ie 0 psi/atmospheric pressure and the lack of acceleration, combined with the siren sound makes me think turbo has a serious issue. At first I thought the clutch was slipping because revs went up but the car didn't go forward like it normally would, but my mechanic pointed out the 0 boost on the gauge. Clutch has been checked and is fine.

BTW sorry for not mentioning all this in my original post but I am still in shock that my car is dead and that there seems to be no link between hitting the fox and the huge repair bill I am now facing, and I have had several long conversations with my mechanic and we cant figure out what's going on or why
Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

we are going to do a pressure test onthe cooling system as well as a leak down test and another test using a chemical that shows if any carbon monoxide is in coolant to see if head gasket is ok
Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck... At least it's not a timing belt failure or more serious damage.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Boost coupler got broken by the Fox Strike?

Have the mechanic pressure test the intake from the J Boot.... the pressure will leak out where the broken bit is!

As for the temperature.. you have an air bubble... I bet when idling the level of the coolant in the reservoir is dancing (moving up and down, and shaking all around)... get rid of the air bubble and the dancing will stop! as will the overheat and purge of coolant on shutdown...

Just my guesses, good luck and be sure to report back!

FWIW, I'm willing to bet for insurance it would be a bridge to far to cross, but reason stands to believe (your number plate is missing, meaning you hit the Dingo between the intercooler and radiator inlets) that BOTH issues are directly related to the fox (Dingo ate your radiator!!!!)!!!!

Bits of Dingo are likely on the front of your radiator and intercooler, and the shock of impact likely allowed air into the coolant system, and ruptured one of your boost couplers on the intercooler!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

Bits of Dingo are likely on the front of your radiator and intercooler...
This is probably the most likely cause. The radiator is clogged with fox debris. If the radiator is clogged, the car overheats. Overheating causing the coolant to come out the reservoir. Loss of coolant causes an air bubble. Maybe also the plugs to your fans got knocked off and they aren't working anymore.

RIP fox...
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys that info may be very helpful. Will a boost leak/broken coupler kill the turbo or just prevent it from making boost ?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 AM
968 GUY
Racer

both
Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 968 GUY
both
Eventually.

I don't think a short drive down the road would cause serious issues though.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF how did i miss this thread.

first off, check what happend to the turbo. get him to take the intake off and check the compressor wheel. if it's finished like it's eaten a nut or something id be worried what went through your intake.

if you need a turbo asap to replace, i've still got mine sitting around. the only thing is that the nut needs to be torqued properly (which i'm not sure how to do, there's a special procedure for it) but theres no shaft play nothing, spins quite freely.

Lucky it was a fox not a kangaroo.. now those things do some serious damage.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Looks like John may be right about it being a bridge to far on the insurance but wont know till we get to the bottom of what is going on with car. Have found a crack in the cross over pipe but not a lot else so far. No "dingo" fur in the intercooler. Actually John most Aussies would hate to kill a dingo but foxes are an introduced species and considered vermin, so no one is too sad that there is one less. I am just upset he chose my car to move onto the next world with.

Pauly I may end up grabbing your turbo if mine is toast as it will probably be cheaper to get yours reconditioned. Will let you know when I know more.
cheers

Quick Reply: Help. First I hit a fox....