Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled 1987 944 Turbo For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
As for the asking price, I feel it is a bit high unless it has nice options and or a perfect interior with sport seats.
Are you kidding? That is a very fair price for a 70k 951 with "fantastic mechanical and cosmetic condition" even without any other options that it may have.

That fender is a $2k job at a body shop, add a used control arm & hub, rh lamp assy and sidemarker and you have an original car worth all the money you have spent on it.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Ashgan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is currently in a storage unit. I will go down there tomorrow and take a picture of this sticker.

When I went under the car I took a picture of the only thing that looked broken to me(posted above). If I got that fixed would it be a lot easier for me to sell the car? Is it worth spending the money to repair it? Or should I just stick to selling it the way it is.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Ashgan
AutoX

Also the interior is in very good condition. No cracks on the dash. The car lived inside of a garage for it's entire life.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Forgot to ask earlier, what did your insurance say about this?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Mag, you are forgetting about the fact that this car probably has a salvage title and unknown condition other than what was just described. My comment was not meant to be offensive, however judging by the vast majority of 951s that I have seen lately it would not be worth it if it is in average conditon. Since it was stated this car has a near pefect interior and also apears to have a very nice exterior it may be a good one to keep.

Ash, sounds like a great car for a fixer if the car is as described. I certainly hope someone buys this car and brings it back to life. I am also assuming ths car was totaled by the other parties insurance company, correct? Good luck with the sale. BTW, the only reason I commented on the price was because you asked if it was priced correctly.

Thanks,
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, sorry to see this. My girlfriend's last car was totaled by a drunk driver who hit it while it was parked in her driveway.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 AM
River
Racer

Mag has a good point.

When our cars are hit like that in the rear, many issues can present it's ugly head later. Hence, why they total them out. A salvage title on a Porsche is cruelty. The value is almost 20-25% of the original value. If that. anyone who buys this (as would I, and would love to actually), will buy it knowing that full well they're sleeping with this car for life. Resale on a salvage is a tough one. Say you do buy it for $4k, dump the $2k mentioned, that's if you find an arm for it, realistically it's about a $3k fix for a diy. And that is IF there are no surprises. Door jambs still close? Roll? Bent chassi? rear hatch close perfect? etc etc, the list goes on. So, you pay $4k, add another 4k to fix, you have an 8k car that you could maybe sell if you're lucky for 4 or 5 grand with that salvage/totaled title.

It sucks when we get hit in the ****!! I worry about this every time I park, or see lights in my mirror. Hence, I want those led flashing brake lights like how I see on motorcycles.

I'm sure his insurance coughed 8k-10k for the car, at least. If not, I'd raise hell. I DO have a # of a guy that does Porsche insurance stuff if you want it. You WILL get the full value for that from the other guy's insurance.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Ashgan
AutoX

My insurance cut me a check for $12,000 for the car. I went to get the car re-registered the other day and DOL told me that the title was in tact and I just paid $21 dollars to get it re-registered. I thought that the car was going to have a salvaged title but I don't think it does. I think the title is intact but I am not completely sure. Gonna go down to the car today and take a picture of that sticker that you guy's want to see.

How do I find out the status of the title?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ashgan
My insurance cut me a check for $12,000 for the car. I went to get the car re-registered the other day and DOL told me that the title was in tact and I just paid $21 dollars to get it re-registered. I thought that the car was going to have a salvaged title but I don't think it does. I think the title is intact but I am not completely sure. Gonna go down to the car today and take a picture of that sticker that you guy's want to see.

How do I find out the status of the title?
did you own the car free and clear beforehand? if not, after its paid off, read the title when it arrives.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
did you own the car free and clear beforehand? if not, after its paid off, read the title when it arrives.
Still shouldn't matter. Should only get the salvage status if you hand it over to the insurance company and they pass it off to someone else, usually a scrap yard or auction house.

Personally the ar looses all it's "low mileage great shape" value once it has been hit like this (and selling in this shape). The added value of a "clean car" just kinda vanishes. For most people it's going to be much much cheaper to buy a straight car that needs only simple cosmetic and basic mechanical things.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

pffftttt a little duct tape and she'll be good as new
Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having bought my 951 intact and running for under the amount being asked, and having recently worked on 1) an S2 not running bought for less than half this ammount, and an intact turbo with stunning interior bought for little more than the ammount being asked..

OP, in all honesty, part it out to get that kind of money, as is it will need parted out..

Everyone stop and ask yourself, what the other end of the trailing arm is attached to? It was hit hard enough to break in half! There is a crease running up to the hatch, and the rear sheetmetal is damaged beyone repair (it will need to be replaced as well as the fender)..

That is a prime candidate for swap into a fresh chassis...

I hope it ends up well for everyone, perhaps lart should be looking into this...
Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

Everyone stop and ask yourself, what the other end of the trailing arm is attached to? It was hit hard enough to break in half! There is a crease running up to the hatch, and the rear sheetmetal is damaged beyone repair (it will need to be replaced as well as the fender)..
This

If it was my car I would part it out and cut my losses. Maybe move onto a different project later.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Ashgan
AutoX

Yes I owned the car free and clear. The car never left my possession.

Cole I agree. I think this car would be perfect for someone who can do the work themselves or someone who needs the parts.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Ashgan
AutoX

I don't really want to part it out myself. I am looking to move the car as soon as possible to someone who wants to do that themselves or needs the parts.