Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very BAD Day something blew up in the 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Taimyshu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I am ready to see what damage I have done also. You know the more research and input I get from everybody it is almost leading me to believe I may have broken a few things. I am now leaning towards the clutch and R & P. Right now it is currently raining In Grand Rapids. I will be cracking into the car tomorrow as long as it is not raining.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd recommend reading everything you can find on doing a clutch job. I had three different articles when I started mine. A few of the comments will relate to different years. Don't let it confuse you. You'll end up dropping the exhaust system from just below the exhaust manifold. It all comes out as one piece. Read the part about the shift rod real careful. Darn thing gets shoved forward of the shifter under the console. Look into the big inspection hole below the transaxle bell housing to see how the plastic shift rod tube goes into the front and rear holes. there's a little tang on the ends so it won't come out. Find some wire or coat hangars that you can unwrap to wire up the cv/axels to the transmission cross member so they don't drop. You'll need a floor jack and the car needs to be at least 18 inches above the floor or you'll never get the tranny out from under the car. It'll come out where the exhaust pipe exits the back on a roll around floor jack. I got a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it worked fine. When you put it back in, make sure it's level and take your time. This can be a b---h of a job, especially if you can't get the exhaust pipes unbolted from the manifold. It took me 2 days with a 3" pneumatic die grinder to cut off the rusted 6 bolts.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a real transmission jack. Do NOT drop the transmission on your arm.

I did that last Oct. The last lump finally disappeared about three weeks ago.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAGK944
The thing is these are European sports cars built to handle and brake in a balaced way around the twisty roads common in Europe. Totally different from something like a Mustang with it's solid rear axle that is built to be abused at lights but doesn't have the sophisticated IRS to handle the twisties too well. Go ahead and do those drag starts, it's your car, but just expect things to break.
Excellent point. You're absolutely correct.

This rain sucks, I hope you're able to get a start on the car tomorrow. Good luck!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a atv jack to get my transmission out and strapped the transmission to the jack with straps.

taking the transmission out is pretty easy.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Taimyshu
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! 10-4 on a real transmission jack "AZ". I am the guy that is prone to getting hurt. For example, ( this is just so you guys can have a good laugh tonight that I am telling you this ) the same day I wrecked the 944 I was at my son,s school for his show in tell. We are in front of the grade 3 class my son is going to demonstrate how to break a board by kicking or punching it ( this is what he learnt in his tae kwon doe class the week before ) I was joking with the guys at work saying "watch I get kicked in the junk". Well I asked my son how he wanted to break the board and he said by kicking it. I didn't think much about it, since I was just concerned everything went good for him. I had him practice kicking me in the the stomach well he landed a good kick and it wasn't in the stomach needless to say I got kicked in the junk in the morning and wrecked my car in the afternoon. But the rest of the day went well
Old 03-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Taimyshu
Rennlist Member

Okay it appears the problem in the car is the ring and pinion. Ran most of the tests you guys suggested. The clutch miraculously seams fine. I drained the the fluid out of the transaxle only to find pieces of steel. So now I am at the point of deciding what to do ( we found lots of other issues with the car ) so do I sync money into this one or get one in a little better condition and put the money into that. Some of the stuff we found was the car was repainted and there are numerous spots with bondo ( not because of rust ether just dents all over the car ) including 3 or 4 on the roof. So if I was going to start to put new or rebuilt mechanical parts in this car, it would need tons of body work to get it back to original condition. Maybe I will just drop a used tranny in it and drive it with care. Save up some cash and get one that is in better shape and worth dropping $$$ into. Well now i ponder what to do next. I think a beer sounds good!

Thanks for all the advice you guys were spot on!!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much do you have into the car, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

changing the trans is not a huge deal and will not cost an arm and a leg to aquire a known good used unit. where did you get the car from? the down side is that while you have the trans out, you may want to look into replacing the clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing and you will want to inspect the torque tube bearings as well while its off the car.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^

Good advise. The clutch is tough, but it is also pretty old now unless it has been changed out.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Taimyshu
Rennlist Member

The unfortunate thing is I traded a Bike that had no issues for it ( value of the bike around $3500.). I all ready spent about 700 for small detail parts the car needed.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:31 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I say go ahead and fix it... it maybe unforeseen but honestly the more you do 2 it the more piece of mind you'll have. You could buy another one from someone else in be in the same boat or worse or better. Right now you know where you stand... I've thought about getting rid of my 951 many times for another one but I've spent about 3k into a 2800 car I purchased and I know whats wrong with it and what maintenance has been done. I am not afraid to drive this car across country and drive it daily and have done many 400 mile trips in the 2.5 yrs I've owned it. If I traded it I wouldn't have the comfort untill I spent enough money and time going over the important stuff.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Taimyshu
Rennlist Member

Good points! The car is paid for so worst case scenario I fix it up and get to know the car inside and out. And your right about another car it would be a coin toss
Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunatly anything P car involves spending a bit...with luck you can do a lot of the repairs on your own....but there is something about driving them that makes it worth wile.

Hope you get her back on the road quick!

Quick Reply: Very BAD Day something blew up in the 944